Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2019, 03:00 AM   #16

Nz, to reset ecu, do I turn key on/off, on /off, on? Or will disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes reset the ECU when I reconnect battery? Thanks rj

Old 08-04-2019, 07:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Nz, to reset ecu, do I turn key on/off, on /off, on? Or will disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes reset the ECU when I reconnect battery? Thanks rj
On off 5 times in 5 or so seconds
Make sure you hear the pump prime so kill switch not in off position

Old 08-05-2019, 08:24 PM   #18

NZ, I took out the stepper and the tip was pretty dirty as well as the cavity it sits in. cleaned out with Q tip and rag on the stepper tip. Put back together, reset ECU and it doesn't stumble anymore. Runs smooth from idle on up. Thanks so much for your tutelage.
Now can you explain when the stepper gets dirty, in my case 17,400 miles worth, it acts like it does? Is the tip some sort of sensor that when dirty doesn't sense like it should?
Is that exhaust grunge I cleaned out of stepper hole or just dirt from some wheres else, thanks, rj?

Old 08-06-2019, 04:15 PM   #19

rj, a stepper normally bleeds air into the engine as a way of controlling idle speed.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #20

Cleanable air filters are an awful thing. I've never seen throttle bodies and intakes as dirty as when people use K&N filters and junk like that. The filter on the RX3 is junky foam that you apply oil to in order to be cheap. Most people apply too much oil, and get oil all over the intake. Then the dirt that bypasses the filter sticks to it. Since oiled junk foam is a terrible filtering agent, lots of dirt gets in.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:21 PM   #21

Two comments:
1.) The spark plug wire fix held up. I just finished a 2300 mile tour with zero issues. Thanks to all for the troubleshooting tips. This forum is great.
2.) Does anybody make a replacement, replaceable air filter for this bike? I'm one of those guys who goes overboard on the oil, and I don't care to clean that thing any more than I have to. I'd also like to avoid the stepper motor sensor tip cleaning described above. I'd prefer to just swap a filter element every 2-5k miles if I could. I'll check the Hi-Flo website first.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckayprod View Post
Two comments:
1.) The spark plug wire fix held up. I just finished a 2300 mile tour with zero issues. Thanks to all for the troubleshooting tips. This forum is great.
2.) Does anybody make a replacement, replaceable air filter for this bike? I'm one of those guys who goes overboard on the oil, and I don't care to clean that thing any more than I have to. I'd also like to avoid the stepper motor sensor tip cleaning described above. I'd prefer to just swap a filter element every 2-5k miles if I could. I'll check the Hi-Flo website first.
Just stock filter - if you look at the design how it fits I very much doubt theres any other way to add in a paper style

Old 08-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #23

I tried and failed to find a paper filter. Like Tako says, it just wouldn't fit.

Just go light on the oil! Look up a Youtube video from K&N or some reliable source like that. It takes only a tiny amount. I've owned my bottle of filter oil for nearly 20 years, it has 1/3 left.