Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2020, 07:33 AM   #1

Big Boy TSR250 vs Puzey STX 200 Trail

Hello,

Can anyone tell me anything about the Big Boy TSR250 or the Puzey STX 200 Trail?

I'm a missionary in Lesotho looking for a dual sport, street legal motorcycle. My budget is limited to the price range of these two bikes unless I buy something used. I hear the quality of the Chinese bikes is improving and I'm thinking it's worth a risk after reading this forum, etc. I'm a shade-tree mechanic used to keeping worn-out vehicles on the road, so I'm not afraid of turning a wrench.

I'm especially interested in reliability, availability of parts, etc. Also, who makes the motors. I've seen videos, etc. on the internet of a guy who has put quite a few kilometers on a TSR 250, and I like their 3 year warranty.

https://www.samotorcycles.co.za/products/tsr250/1294
http://www.puzey.co.za/modelPages/puzeySTX200Trail.html

I'm also open to other recommendations. I'm looking for a dual sport and 200cc+.

Thank you.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #2

The Big Boy looks like a Brozz, solid build quality, parts are cheap and easy to find online.China has been making CB and CG clones for some time now. They are pretty solid.
1991 Voyager XII

Old 01-28-2020, 11:29 AM   #3

Pardon the ignorance. You mentioned the CB and CG clones. Is that Honda?

Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:36 AM   #4

CB is an overhead cam engine, while the CG is a pushrod engine. The CG has the reliability you're seeking at a low price. Search for CG125 on Wikipedia to learn the back story.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #5

Ahh! Thanks!

Old 01-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #6

The Big Boy looks like a Hawk to me, with the 18/21 knobbies and regular forks with the CG motor

The Puzey looks like a Qingqi product to me. It's like my QLink XP200 with a Suzuki motor in it and aluminum swingarm but as opposed to my Qlink, it has regular forks...albeit, they do look beefier than the standard fair China standard forks.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-28-2020, 07:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgman View Post
This is a QingQi 200 and no longer sold in China, Are parts easy enough to get in SA? For either bike?
Shipping to SA from China I found a nightmare as no cheap post goes there etc.
Just sayin

Old 01-28-2020, 11:38 PM   #8

Puzey has been around a while. They are kind of like Pitster Pro we have in the U.S. I would probably suggest that brand.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-29-2020, 12:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
This is a QingQi 200 and no longer sold in China, Are parts easy enough to get in SA? For either bike?
Shipping to SA from China I found a nightmare as no cheap post goes there etc.
Just sayin
Thanks. This doesn't sound like a good option! Neither company has a dealer/agent in Lesotho. I'm going to South Africa on Friday, and hope to visit dealers for both to ask questions. The Big Boy/SAMotorcycles has a much bigger dealer network.

Old 01-29-2020, 12:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
The Big Boy looks like a Hawk to me, with the 18/21 knobbies and regular forks with the CG motor

The Puzey looks like a Qingqi product to me. It's like my QLink XP200 with a Suzuki motor in it and aluminum swingarm but as opposed to my Qlink, it has regular forks...albeit, they do look beefier than the standard fair China standard forks.
Thanks, after comparing picture on the internet, I agree. It helps a lot to know this for sourcing parts.

Old 02-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #11

Just following up in case another ZA reader has similar questions.

I visited a dealer in Edenvale, Johannesburg yesterday. They sell both the Big Boy TSR 250 and the Puzey STX200. They say the Puzey STX 200 is no longer being made though there is still stock of them. It's more expensive than the Big Boy for what seems to me less bike--200cc versus 223cc, rear drum brakes, etc. Maybe it's better quality, though I couldn't see anything that gave me that notion. Since it isn't being made anymore, I don't plan to buy one.

Dealer claims most parts are available and are delivered once a week to the dealership network from a warehouse in the Jo'burg metro area. Mechanic claims they've been selling the bike for quite a few years and have only had to wait on parts from China a few times. Obviously trying to sell a bike, though. I didn't have time to find out if I could test drive a bike. I kind of doubt it. I like the 3 year warranty, but you do have to service through a dealer~R700/$50 every 6 months.

Overall I was impressed just looking at the bike. It's bigger than I expected. Bigger than the 30-year-old Yamaha DT175 I've been trying to get back in reliable shape without spending money. It has a lot of nice features that make it look good--digital instrument cluster, all LED lights, etc. The frame and plastic do look cheap compared to a Honda. I'd definitely prefer a new Yamaha DT-175 (still available here), but they are more than double the money.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #12

Last week I bought a Big Boy TSR 250 from Wheelie Inn in Bloemfontein, South Africa. Donald and Hilary from Wheelie Inn treated me well. I can recommend them to others in South Africa. They torque most (maybe all) the bolts and mark them so that it's easy to see if they are loosening. I can also see that they've greased the swing arm, etc (or maybe they came greased from China???).

Name:  Bigboy250.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  66.5 KB

So far I'm happy with the bike. From pictures on the internet and reading here, it seems a lot like a Hawk, but there are some differences. Maybe the biggest is that the engine has a counterbalance shaft. It runs very smooth.

Name:  engine.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  82.4 KB

Also, I think I've read that there's no adjustment on the rear shock of the Hawk. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) This does have some adjustment.

Name:  rearshock.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  74.6 KB

It has all LED lights and a digital console. The speedo seems very inaccurate from my first impressions.

I've ridden it a few times gently since I got it. Really the only bike I have to compare it to is a verrrrrry well worn Yamaha DT175. The Big Boy has more low end torque, but I miss the kick of power that comes in around 5,000 rpm on the 2 stroke. Also, the 2 stroke just doesn't stall until you almost completely stop, but this 4 stroke gives up pretty easily in comparison.

I'm loving it so far!

Old 03-10-2020, 07:25 PM   #13

Is there any indication as to the OEM?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-11-2020, 06:56 AM   #14

The puzey motard looks cool as heck!

Old 03-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Is there any indication as to the OEM?
Not that I've seen so far. Would an engine number provide any clues? Any other ideas about where to look?

Tags
big boy, dual sport enduro, puzey