Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2017, 09:38 PM   #1

TT 250 Fuel Line

Well after a day of frustration I learned the hard way that the Fuel Lines on the TT aren't ethanol friendly. I was experiencing periods where the bike would run great and then shut off and after it sat for a few minutes it would start again only to shut off a few minutes later. I found that the fuel line downstream from the filter was almost completely blocked so I'm pretty sure that the Ethanol in the fuel that I've been running is the main culprit. So I guess I'll have to start carrying some ethanol treatment with me for when I can't get ethanol free gas.
2016 CSC TT 250, 17/40 sprockets, JT 428 chain, Stock Keima carburetor with needle raised 1 notch and 115 main jet. Modified stock exhaust, Tachometer/Digital cluster upgrade. LED headlight, Superbrightleds 1157 Tail light bulb, Shinko 705's 90/90-21 and 120/80-18.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #2

Just install a better quality fuel line. I've found that the rubber on my Chinese stuff deteriorates very quickly anyway.

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 04-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #3

Rather than carry a can of ethanol treatment I'd just purchase a length of ethanol friendly gas line.......

Old 04-18-2017, 09:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshevie View Post
Rather than carry a can of ethanol treatment I'd just purchase a length of ethanol friendly gas line.......
Yeah, and I'd change out that inline filter to an American one too. There have been problems with them...ARH

Old 04-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #5

Go to your local saw shop and get some snow machine line. Lasts a long time, isn't eaten up by alcohol, can handle all kinds of adverse weather and is clear so you can see if you have fuel. It's all I run.
Plus, the stock fuel filter is junk. Like ARH says, get an American made filter. They should have those at a saw shop too.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-19-2017, 11:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Go to your local saw shop and get some snow machine line. Lasts a long time, isn't eaten up by alcohol, can handle all kinds of adverse weather and is clear so you can see if you have fuel. It's all I run.
Plus, the stock fuel filter is junk. Like ARH says, get an American made filter. They should have those at a saw shop too.
I changed the fuel line and filter and it died again on me on my way to work tonight. A guy came to my aid and we checked for spark and there wasn't any spark so I guess I'll call CSC in the morning and talk to Gerry and see what he thinks.
2016 CSC TT 250, 17/40 sprockets, JT 428 chain, Stock Keima carburetor with needle raised 1 notch and 115 main jet. Modified stock exhaust, Tachometer/Digital cluster upgrade. LED headlight, Superbrightleds 1157 Tail light bulb, Shinko 705's 90/90-21 and 120/80-18.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWFarrier View Post
I changed the fuel line and filter and it died again on me on my way to work tonight. A guy came to my aid and we checked for spark and there wasn't any spark so I guess I'll call CSC in the morning and talk to Gerry and see what he thinks.
It run for a while then quits? Sounds like a bad CDI. Happens sometimes. They can die in the oddest ways. Some misfire. Some just quit. Others quit after they get hot.
Like any electronic part, they can wither die quick or run forever.
Keep us posted!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-20-2017, 08:07 PM   #8

2LZ is right...I had one that would puke every time it got good and warmed up...I wouldn't be shocked if it isn't as simple as the CDI needing changed out...so it does happen and is easily fixed.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 04-22-2017, 09:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
2LZ is right...I had one that would puke every time it got good and warmed up...I wouldn't be shocked if it isn't as simple as the CDI needing changed out...so it does happen and is easily fixed.
Well after many hours of troubleshooting and numerous calls to Gerry at CSC I think that I have figured out what the issue with my bike is. It would seem that once the exciter coil for the ignition gets heated up it is failing and I'm losing spark. I tested it when spark was present and it was reading 165 Ohms and after running the engine until it loses spark it read 1.3M Ohms. So after verifying my findings with Gerry he is sending out a replacement under warranty so hopefully I'll have it back on the road within a few days.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWFarrier View Post
Well after many hours of troubleshooting and numerous calls to Gerry at CSC I think that I have figured out what the issue with my bike is. It would seem that once the exciter coil for the ignition gets heated up it is failing and I'm losing spark. I tested it when spark was present and it was reading 165 Ohms and after running the engine until it loses spark it read 1.3M Ohms. So after verifying my findings with Gerry he is sending out a replacement under warranty so hopefully I'll have it back on the road within a few days.
Man thats great diagnosing!
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #11

Well the TT is back on the road. I just changed out the exciter coil and took it for a 15 mile or so test run and didn't have any issues. The job was a little more involved than anticipated since the exciter coil and stator are one assembly. At any rate the job is done and the bike is back on the streets again.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:14 PM   #12

Good to hear !

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song