Tach is a dud.

Have another coming.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-04-2018, 12:47 AM   #362

Got a link for the speedometer?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-04-2018, 05:43 AM   #363

Here you go, Weld.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Blac...ceBeautifyAB=0

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-05-2018, 06:14 AM   #364

Wow Cheesy, you only have 2.8 miles on your Ural?! That's pretty amazing for as much as you ride that thing! Glad it's all working out for you. I can relate to the fuel issues. My FI model doesn't like being run out of gas, at all, at all. I had serious issues getting it to run right after I ran it of fuel. On top of that, I learned that the fuel level warning light doesn't work on my bike. Who would have seen that coming? Something on a Ural not working right? Who's ever heard of such a thing? So far everything is looking really good on your build. Can't wait to see how your sun shade comes out.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Wow Cheesy, you only have 2.8 miles on your Ural?! That's pretty amazing for as much as you ride that thing! Glad it's all working out for you. I can relate to the fuel issues. My FI model doesn't like being run out of gas, at all, at all. I had serious issues getting it to run right after I ran it of fuel. On top of that, I learned that the fuel level warning light doesn't work on my bike. Who would have seen that coming? Something on a Ural not working right? Who's ever heard of such a thing? So far everything is looking really good on your build. Can't wait to see how your sun shade comes out.
Your low fuel light doesn’t work? Just like everyone else’s low fuel light doesn’t work? I think there might be an upcoming recall to switch the sensor, that’s not a fan of ethanol fuels, to a float system. I’ve heard rumblings of that, anyway.

I think I may be up to 17 now for a grand total of 24,017 miles. Catching up to the Honda.

The shade ‘sort of’ works but I think I may have sussed the backlight issue and will be able to dump the shade. I will know either after I get back home this evening or tomorrow.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #366

Thanks for the link, Queso. I'm guessing that COG means center of gravity, but I doubt it; please school me. While at it, what is SOG?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Thanks for the link, Queso. I'm guessing that COG means center of gravity, but I doubt it; please school me. While at it, what is SOG?
Took me a while but,

COG-Course On Ground. AKA Direction.

SOG-Speed On Ground. Speed, period.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-05-2018, 09:11 PM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Your low fuel light doesn’t work? Just like everyone else’s low fuel light doesn’t work? I think there might be an upcoming recall to switch the sensor, that’s not a fan of ethanol fuels, to a float system. I’ve heard rumblings of that, anyway.

I think I may be up to 17 now for a grand total of 24,017 miles. Catching up to the Honda.

The shade ‘sort of’ works but I think I may have sussed the backlight issue and will be able to dump the shade. I will know either after I get back home this evening or tomorrow.
I've lost a lot of faith in the inner workings of the gas tank on my Ural, and that makes me kind of sad. I think I'm up to about 8,000kms on mine. The speedo has both KPH and MPH listings, but the odometer and trip meter read in Km's. I just rolled 10,000 miles on the DR. I'm in the market for a new bike now, and I'm kind of leaning towards a Triumph Daytona 675. It would have to be one of the '06-'08 bikes though. I really like the under-seat exhaust. I dunno. It may wind up being a cruiser. The Missus wants me to wait to buy another bike until we get into our permanent house out in Phoenix.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-06-2018, 07:14 AM   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
I've lost a lot of faith in the inner workings of the gas tank on my Ural, and that makes me kind of sad. I think I'm up to about 8,000kms on mine. The speedo has both KPH and MPH listings, but the odometer and trip meter read in Km's. I just rolled 10,000 miles on the DR. I'm in the market for a new bike now, and I'm kind of leaning towards a Triumph Daytona 675. It would have to be one of the '06-'08 bikes though. I really like the under-seat exhaust. I dunno. It may wind up being a cruiser. The Missus wants me to wait to buy another bike until we get into our permanent house out in Phoenix.
Yup, on a Ural, or almost any other bike, the trip meter is your friend. Even if it does read in them pesky little miles. Now that I don’t see those mini miles anymore, I usually fill up around 100 miles.

I really don’t know anything about Triumphs. My friend, n8, traded his in on a Honda because he couldn’t find a comfortable riding position on it. Even after swapping bars and seats.

As to a new bike, after almost 44 years of marriage, I may have finally learned, if momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody gonna be happy.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #370

I reset the trip meter on all my vehicles every fill up. The Suburban has the digital fuel economy calculator, and it seems to be accurate enough that I don't manually check the economy every fill up. The gallons used feature is usually pretty accurate to what the pump says I put in, too. This technology thing is getting pretty scary with the things it does nowadays. I rode a Triumph Bonneville when I was living in England for a few years, and a Ducati 996 Monster when I was in Italy. The Ducati was nice while I was there, but I don't think I'll own another one. The Desmodrodic Valve Train was interesting, but a maintenance nightmare. There's no reason, with today's valve technology, to think that an overly complicated valve actuation and closing scheme is somehow a plus. The more mental view of why I'm after a British model is because I really miss my MGB. I had one for a few years before I went into the service, and it was a fun little car to shoot around in. Got a Miata after I got back stateside, but it wasn't quite the same. I absolutely believe the "Happy Wife, Happy Life" mantra. That's the beauty of how my wife and I have set up our fun-money. We each have individual high yield savings accounts (we have one for the Bambino, too), and we get money transferred from our joint checking account to our high yield accounts each week. That's the money that we play around with, and the other one doesn't say anything about how that money was spent. It has made an unbelievable difference in our happiness about the money that the other person doesn't think is a good use. So, I have enough money in my account to start looking to add to the stable. I think that unless I come across a deal that I just absolutely can't pass up, I will probably wait until we get the new house. We still have more than 75% of our stuff in boxes from the move. The house we're in now is a lot smaller than the one we left in GA, and there just isn't room in the garage for another bike at the moment. We're looking at a couple of places now, but the lease on our rental doesn't expire until June, I think. There's a really nice development near where we live now that is building a new phase, and we really like the floor plans, but it's about a 4 month build time. I think the Missus would like for us to go talk to the developer when I get back from Denver next week. In the meantime, I'm going to sit here and chat with you fine folks.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #371

I had an MG Midget and my brother a Triumph Tiger Cub. The reasons why I will probably never own anything British with an internal combustion engine again. Unless the price is close to free and the Lucas electricals have already been replaced.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #372

My dad had a Midget way back when, which is what got me started on the MG brand even before we lived in England. I had a Jag for about a weekend, and that was pretty terrible. The left turn signal would flash in time with the windshield wipers. I left my MG alone, because the 6V system worked really well and I didn't have any problems with the positive ground setup. If I ever came across another one though, I would absolutely convert it to 12V negative ground. They're getting pretty rare nowadays. I honestly think I'd have better luck trying to scare up a right hand drive Morris Mini or Ford Poplar.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-09-2018, 07:37 AM   #373

Update on the speedometer. As things went tits up with the Raleigh falling off the bike rack last Sunday, I pulled the speedo and set to work getting the backlight to work. Threw in the towel after almost an hour. Sent an email to the manufacturer asking what’s up. In the meantime, I farted around with my Sour Cream tub shade and got it positioned to where I can now see the gauge face in bright light. In typical Outhouse Engineering and Fabrication fashion, it ain’t pretty but it works.
Wonky backlight aside, the GPS function works really well. If I have the rig in the garage with door open, it will sense a satellite signal. Might take 15 to 20 seconds. Outdoors, 5 seconds, tops, to get a signal. So far, I haven’t experienced any signal loss going under bridges. The speed reading is also stable. The compass only reads when moving and I’m used to NSEW but I could get used to degrees.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-27-2018, 06:47 PM   #374

I got that new seat and padded cover mounted earlier this week. What a difference. My backside hasn't complained once. I also found that the support base of the original seat had two cracks in it. Weld, grind, paint, and put on the shelf for a spare.

I tried my third tach this morning and finally had success.

https://www.hardlineproducts.com/pro...ourtach-meter/

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #375

I heard that one of the new Urals comes with a drone launch platform. Useful for looking ahead for pubs or the source of traffic jams.