Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2016, 08:14 PM   #1

Hello from Western PA

Hi All,

I'm a Brit living in PA. I'm one of those idiots that likes to ride year-round as much as they can, I usually put about 1k a month on my little Ninja. Commuting takes its toll on the little thing, so I wanted to split it with a second bike.

I wanted an affordable bike that was basic and durable, so I've ordered a TT250 from CSC. I'm looking forward to also dabbling in the world of dual sports as it's completely new to me.

I've followed this forum closely for issues and buying decisions, so I'll be updating my adventures here and on my blog.

Sully

Old 12-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #2

Excellent, thanks for joining
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-10-2016, 09:23 PM   #3

Welcome!

not that Western PA isn't an enjoyable area to ride in, but heading south into WV would be about the best riding you can find.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
Welcome!

not that Western PA isn't an enjoyable area to ride in, but heading south into WV would be about the best riding you can find.
I've got a few riding friends that have told me this. It's on the to-do. I'm a little short of time for really long rides, my usual weekend runs are around 50-90 miles. I like to run down to Ohiopyle a lot, it's usually a really nice ride.

There are some fantastic roads around here. I've tended to stick to the better ones on my kawi, and I'm looking forward to a bike that rides the bumps (the road surfaces here range from excellent to moonscape) a little better.

Hoping registration is straightforward and quick. Can't wait to try it out, I really can't.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:57 AM   #5

Sully, welcome to the forum! It seems we have quite a bit in common; I grew up in Lakenheath, Suffolk, and would usually haunt the Half Moon Pub (sadly, now closed). I also have family in Hazleton, PA, right where I-80 and I-81 meet. Please keep us posted on your experiences with the new motorcycle, and let us know if there's anything we can do to help. Have a fantastic time, and keep the rubber side down.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 12-11-2016, 11:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Sully, welcome to the forum! It seems we have quite a bit in common; I grew up in Lakenheath, Suffolk, and would usually haunt the Half Moon Pub (sadly, now closed). I also have family in Hazleton, PA, right where I-80 and I-81 meet. Please keep us posted on your experiences with the new motorcycle, and let us know if there's anything we can do to help. Have a fantastic time, and keep the rubber side down.
My old man has a place in Cambridgeshire for a time, a little Fen village named Reach. I used to visit most weekends when I lived in Hampshire. Lovely part of the world. Flat!

Where I am (just outside of Pittsburgh) it's the polar opposite. Excellent elevation changes and winding roads, if a little beaten up due to the big climate variation.

I plan to use the TT250 a lot, so I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:07 PM   #7

You must have been in this country for a lot longer than you think, because you actually wrote the "H" in Hampshire. I never new there was an "H" in it until I saw it on the map! It was always 'Amp-sha when I was over there. I've been back in country for about 12 years, but I have a guy that I work with that keeps me in the classic idiom. He's from Oxford, so not all together the wrong side of the tracks, as it were. When do you expect the new bike to arrive, or has it already?

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 12-12-2016, 11:36 AM   #8

The order is still being processed; I've had them confirm details so I expect they're getting everything ready. Would be nice to have it before xmas. Even with the crap weather (it doesn't stop me riding...most of my colleagues think I'm nuts. They're probably right) there's a few places I want to try it out. Luckily the housing plan I live in has a small trail next to it, so I can test ride it around before registration is complete.

I'm not a Hampshire native! I'm originally from the North. I found the Hampshire accent maddeningly hard to impersonate and explain to people

Old 12-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #9

Welcome, Sully! I hope your new TT gives you many happy miles.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome, Sully! I hope your new TT gives you many happy miles.
Thank you!

Old 12-13-2016, 07:36 AM   #11

Sully, any plans to return to Ol' Blightey in the near future? My little sister and her husband are stationed in Germany, and I would give very important parts of my anatomy to be able to make a long European trip.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 12-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Sully, any plans to return to Ol' Blightey in the near future? My little sister and her husband are stationed in Germany, and I would give very important parts of my anatomy to be able to make a long European trip.
I try to go every other year. My Dad lives in Spain now, and I am determined to get a bike down there. The roads are absolutely amazing.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:10 PM   #13

Sully, what is the second-hand bike market like out there? Would your father be able to keep the bike in serviceable condition for the time you were away (Maybe not ride it, but at least start it from time to time and roll the tires around a bit)? If a bike could be picked up for a few hundred euro used, it might be worth going that route. Just my 'tuppence worth.

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 12-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #14

Welcome! I am up in the finger lakes of NY, northern end of seneca lake roughly.... I hear there's some decent riding out in the southern tier of NY, but haven't made my way down yet... my bike has such a small fuel tank that I get about 60 mi of range... hoping to change that soon though...

Old 12-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Sully, what is the second-hand bike market like out there? Would your father be able to keep the bike in serviceable condition for the time you were away (Maybe not ride it, but at least start it from time to time and roll the tires around a bit)? If a bike could be picked up for a few hundred euro used, it might be worth going that route. Just my 'tuppence worth.
I could probably find something cheap, but I don't think he'd have the time to look after it, even If I stored it well. I'd probably rent one of the ubiquitous BMW's from Malaga and just take the hole in my wallet Failing that It's possible I could find a local; there's loads of bikes around there.