Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #1

TT250 fork rebound damping

I was looking at seeing if I could mellow the front of the bike's response to some of the poorer asphalt here, and l noticed the TT250's screw adjusters on both forks are already at maximum. It was set to this out of the box.

Am I correct at guessing this is rebound damping? It might explain the occasionally firm ride at the front over bumps. Anyone had much joy experimenting?

Old 04-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #2

On both my neighbors and my wife's TTY250, I ran them all the way down (clockwise) and backed them out about 1-1.5 turns each. Then evenly adjust from there. I don't think they do much beyond 2 or 3 turns. The end of the long rod is then pulled out of the hole. Have you changed your fluid? The stock stuff was funky.

I'm still messing with the shock more than forks....

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-26-2017, 11:25 AM   #3

I've not looked at the fluid yet, I think I might leave that for a long weekend, or maybe the end of the season as I prep for Winter.

I'm not unhappy with the way the bike rides, but I think at somepoint I'd like a stiffer front end. It's a lot more likely than me losing some weight

Old 04-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullybiker View Post
I've not looked at the fluid yet, I think I might leave that for a long weekend, or maybe the end of the season as I prep for Winter.

I'm not unhappy with the way the bike rides, but I think at somepoint I'd like a stiffer front end. It's a lot more likely than me losing some weight
I put in 320cc's each fork of Bel Ray 10W (my preference). Stiffened it up but more importantly, took care of that first little "jar" in your elbows before the forks compressed.

It's a super simple task. Drop the tire. Loosen the top tree clamps, then the fork caps next, then the lower tree clamps. These inverted forks literally fall right out when you loosen the lower tree so make sure and catch it or it will go bouncing across the garage.

With the caps loose, hang onto the cap, spin the fork tube to loosen. Then slide it open and dump it until you get about one drop every two seconds. Refill.

I just did it on Q and it took all of half hour, start to finish. I have the same issue. It's easier to go up a little on the fluid weight than to go down a little on my weight. ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-26-2017, 10:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullybiker View Post
I was looking at seeing if I could mellow the front of the bike's response to some of the poorer asphalt here, and l noticed the TT250's screw adjusters on both forks are already at maximum. It was set to this out of the box.

Am I correct at guessing this is rebound damping? It might explain the occasionally firm ride at the front over bumps. Anyone had much joy experimenting?
it's more likely the anti rust oil they put in the forks for the long voyage here from China. ATF really improves the damping...ARH

Tags
damping, rebound, suspension, tt250