Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2018, 06:28 PM   #1

Everide...The RE Himalayn this time

Everybody on Chinariders very likely knows Everide's controversial RX3 review. Everything has been said about that so I'll not add anything further.

Here is his review of a new Royal Enfield Himalayan:

It's an interesting contrast, because he's very positive about it. I am a little pissed off he isn't as hard on it as he was the RX3, but c'est la vie. Some thoughts:
  • The bike is an interesting comparison the the RX3, though it is more expensive.
  • Build quality is an unknown.
  • Everide seems to think it has genuine off-road chops, and he is not the only reviewer to say this; Nathan Millward is also very keen on it.
    • The long travel suspension is basic but appears to work well.
    • The 411cc under-square engine is the same hp as the RX3 but obviously the emphasis is on low-down torque.
  • It does look good; I like the styling. Reminds me of an old BMW.
  • Everide states it is in fact slower than the RX3 on the open road, but he's much less snide in making the observation.
What do my CR friends think?

Old 09-25-2018, 07:01 PM   #2

I started looking into the Himalayan. I found more negative input than positive. The majority of the negatives were from current and previous owners. Major complaints were regarding the electrical system. One person stated changing the stator 4 times in three years. Others being left stranded when their charging system gave out. The second most was structural issues. Frame and mounting points cracking. Of course the authenticity or accuracy of the comments can't be determined. Maybe if they fix those issues (if it has them) it will be a good bike.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:18 AM   #3

He seemed to contradict himself on a few remarks, and pretty much showed his bias when he passingly mentioned this bike was a second slower to 60 than the RX3, but ripped the RX3. Not to mention, he rode the RX3 like it was an MX bike, and made numerous negative comments about how uncapable it was as an MX bike, but seemingly was pussyfooting this bike around and 'loving' it. He is still a deluxe-douchebag...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-26-2018, 01:57 PM   #4

Well yes, no Prius test for the Himalayan, just the admission it was slower.

I actually liked this review, as I didn't know a lot about the bike, but it's interesting to me how biased a lot of these things are. He liked it, so he softballed it.

A fun anecdote about the Prius and saloon cars in general. Even the little four-bangers have a huge drag coefficient advantage over a bike. I could beat a Prius all day 0-60mph on my Ninja 300, but on a five mile freeway if they keep their foot down they'll reel me in around 100mph. How do I know? I've had it happen. Passed by a Prius doing over 100. It made me laugh. Is my bike shit because of this? Of course not. It's just simple physics. You need a lot of power once you hit triple digits, because you're a lump of meat atop a two-wheeled open metal and plastic thing. Even a stock CBR600RR struggles to top 140. Such comparisons are silly.