Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2018, 09:01 AM   #1

Doh! Hawk 250 Starter Solenoid Replacement Help

I killed my starter solenoid.

Yes I know I killed it, no it's not the battery or an electrical monster.

How did it die? Murder. Was it premeditated? No, an accidental hit on the wrong target.

Anyways, can someone provide me an online link to the correct replacement? I don't want to kick start the bike for the rest of it's Chonda life.

Thanks.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #2

To go eBay or Amazon and search for 'Chinese starter solenoid'. Find one that matches your plug and you are good to go. They're going to be less than $10. I just searched on Amazon and saw a few just under $6 with Prime.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 10-29-2018, 04:50 PM   #3

Can you provide me a link? Maybe I need the relay? I feel certain it's the solenoid though. It's the silver cylindrical metal part that looks a lot like a turn signal relay.

I busted it open on accident, inside is a spring, a metal cap, and some copper coils. Again pretty sure that's the solenoid but it looks different than what I get when I Google chinese starter solenoid.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:59 PM   #4

Okay... I think I can pull that off. Is there a difference between a starter relay and starter solenoid? Are they often sold as one part?

Old 10-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisbm2 View Post
Okay... I think I can pull that off. Is there a difference between a starter relay and starter solenoid? Are they often sold as one part?
They are often called the same thing unless part of the starter assembly. Check this link for a list of some from Amazon;
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...=2JAFA22PAV9QH

I see you are getting double posts also. Weird.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 10-30-2018, 01:28 PM   #6

Yeah, not sure what's up. The site has been VERY slow recently too, maybe some behind the scenes maintence?

Can anyone provide me with a link to right Solenoid? I only have time ot work on the bike on the weekends and I'd like to go ahead and order the part so it'll be here by the time I can work on it.

Also, can kickstarting do any damage after a while?

Old 10-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #7

Check the link I gave you. You'll have to go through the individual options and see if the plug is the same as yours.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 11-03-2018, 09:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisbm2 View Post
Yeah, not sure what's up. The site has been VERY slow recently too, maybe some behind the scenes maintence?

Can anyone provide me with a link to right Solenoid? I only have time ot work on the bike on the weekends and I'd like to go ahead and order the part so it'll be here by the time I can work on it.

Also, can kickstarting do any damage after a while?
Look up on this pages you can see advertisements and VMC has them $4 or so.
If plug not correct no worries cut n join and wires will go either way 100% no drama as its just a solenoid and + or - won't matter to which wire etc

Below the main banner you will see adds pop up n change click on it!

Old 11-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #9

Thanks guys, I STILL have not had enough time to take a look at that plug, so I went out on a limb and bought this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/90cc-110cc-...frcectupt=true

Shouls work right?

Old 01-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #10

I have a dumb question probably guys but I'm wondering what fastens the solenoid in place? I changed the battery and it seems to be just kinda hanging there. I see some tabs I'm assuming they hold it in place, but can't really get it to snap in. Thanks, sorry if it's somewhere on here but I couldn't find it.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud1968 View Post
I have a dumb question probably guys but I'm wondering what fastens the solenoid in place? I changed the battery and it seems to be just kinda hanging there. I see some tabs I'm assuming they hold it in place, but can't really get it to snap in. Thanks, sorry if it's somewhere on here but I couldn't find it.
The relay should have a rubber mount with 2 slotted holes that "should" mount to the pair of tabs sticking out of the airbox nearby. You are correct in your thinking. They really don't like staying in place though. The best luck I had was to loosen the electrical connections, get it on the tabs (A little lubrication helps if it is stubborn) and then tighten the connections back down. I also had to use a little heat gun persuasion on the positive cable to get the insulation to conform in a way that wouldn't pull it back off again.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-06-2019, 11:08 AM   #12

Thank you so much really appreciate it , I'll try and finagle it in place the way you have described. Hope all is well have a good day.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:01 AM   #13

If you have an electrical crimper, i highly recommend going to your local John Deere parts store and asking for a starter solenoid for a D110. Depending on your wiring harness you may need to crimp a female spade end onto your harness, but the deere solenoids will last way longer than the chinese ones... expect to pay about $20 from deere...once i get to work i could even get you the part number (i am a john deere tech)

I know they work, because i have had one on my bike for 4 years now....

Old 01-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
If you have an electrical crimper, i highly recommend going to your local John Deere parts store and asking for a starter solenoid for a D110. Depending on your wiring harness you may need to crimp a female spade end onto your harness, but the deere solenoids will last way longer than the chinese ones... expect to pay about $20 from deere...once i get to work i could even get you the part number (i am a john deere tech)

I know they work, because i have had one on my bike for 4 years now....
The ones I use for various solenoid type jobs (horn, starter, glow plugs) is a Ford fender mount solenoid. Available at any auto parts store on the North American continent. About $16-$20...ARH

Old 01-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
The ones I use for various solenoid type jobs (horn, starter, glow plugs) is a Ford fender mount solenoid. Available at any auto parts store on the North American continent. About $16-$20...ARH
That would work as well

Tags
hawk, replacement, solenoid, starter