Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2016, 11:28 PM   #1

Exclamation Hawk/Magician twin pack, Apscusa.com.Magician questions and concerns.

I contacted Apscusa about the Magician and Hawk.The Magician didn't show up on their website, when I checked it out.I also asked about making a twin pack.They have a 6 months financing program that I am considering using,if I can get a good price on the bikes.

Has anyone used their financing service?How good was it,and do they retain the MCO/titles until the loan is paid for?

Onto the Magician questions and concerns.

I'm a bit concerned about the Magician fuel tank and range.One of the rides I take, doesn't have any fuel stops for at least 75 miles.I know I can carry extra fuel.The whole point of the Magician is the light weight and small size.When I do the ride, with the long distance between fuel stops,I like to take detours.I'm not sure it will have the range.Does anyone have any experience with the fuel mileage on the Magician?Looking at the tank,I'm pretty sure there's nothing that will retrofit for more capacity.I do have a couple old tanks laying around. I could cut one up, and weld it to the Magician tank, to add more fuel capacity. I would feel safe,if I could get a solid 150 miles before going to reserve.

What is the actual rim and tire sizes on the Magician?I've read all kinds of crazy specs, but haven't been able to confirm the exact specs.If it has the 16/18 set up,I'm curious to know if there's enough room to lace up 17/19 rim set or 18/21 rim set.If the hubs are similar to the Hawk and XR200,it should be simple, and fairly inexpensive upgrade.It would also help with the low gearing,without changing sprockets.At least I hope it would kill two birds with one stone.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I contacted Apscusa about the Magician and Hawk.The Magician didn't show up on their website, when I checked it out.I also asked about making a twin pack.They have a 6 months financing program that I am considering using,if I can get a good price on the bikes.

Has anyone used their financing service?How good was it,and do they retain the MCO/titles until the loan is paid for?

Onto the Magician questions and concerns.

I'm a bit concerned about the Magician fuel tank and range.One of the rides I take, doesn't have any fuel stops for at least 75 miles.I know I can carry extra fuel.The whole point of the Magician is the light weight and small size.When I do the ride, with the long distance between fuel stops,I like to take detours.I'm not sure it will have the range.Does anyone have any experience with the fuel mileage on the Magician?Looking at the tank,I'm pretty sure there's nothing that will retrofit for more capacity.I do have a couple old tanks laying around. I could cut one up, and weld it to the Magician tank, to add more fuel capacity. I would feel safe,if I could get a solid 150 miles before going to reserve.

What is the actual rim and tire sizes on the Magician?I've read all kinds of crazy specs, but haven't been able to confirm the exact specs.If it has the 16/18 set up,I'm curious to know if there's enough room to lace up 17/19 rim set or 18/21 rim set.If the hubs are similar to the Hawk and XR200,it should be simple, and fairly inexpensive upgrade.It would also help with the low gearing,without changing sprockets.At least I hope it would kill two birds with one stone.
I have the Magician and kinda wish I got a hawk with the things I'm running into. Really hard to work on because everything is tucked into the frame., can't get to the air filter, Motor mount was installed wrong and ruined the tank, can't get the bolt out to fix it without lowering the engine because it hits the frame. Doesn't want to idle till I have ridden 8 miles, can't hardly reach the choke its so far in the bike chasis, have to pull the tank to adjust the valves, Getting to the carb is a b!t<h, (even with the tank pulled) registering it in GA didnt happen. and who knows whats next....

Old 10-19-2016, 11:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcgee View Post
I have the Magician and kinda wish I got a hawk with the things I'm running into. Really hard to work on because everything is tucked into the frame., can't get to the air filter, Motor mount was installed wrong and ruined the tank, can't get the bolt out to fix it without lowering the engine because it hits the frame. Doesn't want to idle till I have ridden 8 miles, can't hardly reach the choke its so far in the bike chasis, have to pull the tank to adjust the valves, Getting to the carb is a b!t<h, (even with the tank pulled) registering it in GA didnt happen. and who knows whats next....
Thanks for the heads up.I have dealt with worse on Japanese bikes.I own a CB500X.It requires about 4 hours and nearly half the bike stripped down to change the spark plugs, or do a valve adjustment.Plus all the valve adjustment shims have to be ordered from Honda.That takes 7 to 10 days to get them.My plan includes stripping down both bikes,doing the upgrades I want,and thread locking everything back together.

I'm surprised GA didn't reg the Magician.Have you tried a different office?Is there a central DMV?I'd try to get there,if you're close enough.Some DMVs are really "special" and don't know, or understand,what they're doing.I have run into it in SC a few times,after buying bikes in NC and trying to reg them in SC.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:01 AM   #4

I went 110 or so before hitting reserve, didn't really pay attention but it was over a hundred, not 150 though. as far as riding, I like it a lot. Its fun and light, stays up with back road traffic (50-55) working on it though...its not mechanic friendly, the tire sizes are 16 and 19, I'll have to check the actual numerical specs tomorrow. Not too sure about going larger without moving the fenders.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:06 AM   #5

Quote:
I went 110 or so before hitting reserve, didn't really pay attention but it was over a hundred, not 150 though. as far as riding, I like it a lot. Its fun and light, stays up with back road traffic (50-55) working on it though...its not mechanic friendly, the tire sizes are 16 and 19, I'll have to check the actual numerical specs tomorrow. Not too sure about going larger without moving the fenders.
That's good info.Thanks.

A 17 inch rear isn't a big step up in size.It will allow for more DOT approved tire choices.I'd be fine with the 19 inch front.I prefer a 21,but that's a bit of a step up from 19 incher.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:57 AM   #6

Quote:

a 21,but that's a bit of a step up from 19 incher.
3" but it is only 1 1/2" out from the hub at any given point or 38mm put a 80/80 21" tyre on..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 10-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
3" but it is only 1 1/2" out from the hub at any given point or 38mm put a 80/80 21" tyre on..

Yes, but 1.5 inches could be enough under full compression, and rearward deflection of the forks, to cause contact with the frame or engine,which has the potential to cause a front wheel lock up or damage.I've seen it before with modified bikes.I'd have to pull the fork caps, let the front end compress, and do sum figgerin.18/21 wheel set would be good for getting through the rough stuff off-road.

17/17 wheel set could make a fun little motard.Getting that front end down, and reducing trail, should make it turn in way faster.To bad I like to beat around off-road more than I like to take turns way to fast.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:46 PM   #8

How much do you think it would affect the speedo?

Old 10-20-2016, 11:21 PM   #9

Plug in some numbers and find out from here

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #10

Quote:
How much do you think it would affect the speedo?
It depends on the discrepancy of the Magician's speedo.A larger tire will slow it down.

I use GPS on my bikes for accurate.My CB500X,out of 8, is the only bike I have that has a speedo that is 100% correct 100% of the time.It has an all digital display and should be more accurate since it gets its speed reading from the transmission,and not the front wheel hub.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #11

Quote:
It depends on the discrepancy of the Magician's speedo.A larger tire will slow it down.

I use GPS on my bikes for accurate.My CB500X,out of 8, is the only bike I have that has a speedo that is 100% correct 100% of the time.It has an all digital display and should be more accurate since it gets its speed reading from the transmission,and not the front wheel hub.
Mine is proly 5 or 6 miles slower than the speedo at 55