Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2017, 11:21 PM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat67 View Post
Way to go! Post some more about it. Again great job. You accomplished something to be proud of.
Big thanks!

Old 09-11-2017, 12:14 AM   #227

Wow, great job! Great to know the bike ran so well for you. That arm though....ouch!

Thanks for the pics and updates

Old 09-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #228

This is seriously epic.... Congrats man!

Old 09-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #229

Thanks guys!!

I did get a little video of a good trail on Day2:

Old 09-14-2017, 01:18 AM   #230

Fun looking trail!

Old 09-14-2017, 07:52 AM   #231

That sure looked like a fun trail I can not imagine doing what you did at my age I do not know if I could withstand the abuse for that may days.

Sure looks fun though

Old 09-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat67 View Post
That sure looked like a fun trail I can not imagine doing what you did at my age I do not know if I could withstand the abuse for that may days.

Sure looks fun though
It was grueling at times and not something I would do again. The trail in the video was my favorite of the whole 9 days. It actually gets even better as it winds up into a deep forest and over a big pass.

Not many of the trails were as good. Lots of 1st Gear cliffhangers, which I don't enjoy. From here on out I only ride for fun!!

The bike only needs new tires and an oil/filter change and it could probably make the whole trip again... Can't say the same for my tired old bod.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #233

Thanks for all the info. I was on the brink of getting one of these, although I'll likely wait until Black Friday or Christmas time to see if they get a big discount again. Almost $3,900 shipped is a little steep, $3000 would be absolutely killer. One of my local Bike shops is a Pitster dealer, wish I could test ride either the XTR or the LXR but unfortunately they only carry their little pit bikes.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChondaChondaChonda View Post
It was grueling at times and not something I would do again. The trail in the video was my favorite of the whole 9 days. It actually gets even better as it winds up into a deep forest and over a big pass.

Not many of the trails were as good. Lots of 1st Gear cliffhangers, which I don't enjoy. From here on out I only ride for fun!!

The bike only needs new tires and an oil/filter change and it could probably make the whole trip again... Can't say the same for my tired old bod.
Your body will get over it. Next season you will be looking for more challanges!...ARH

Old 09-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #235

Question for you, are the maintenance intervals on this motor more on the racing side of the spectrum, or on the dual-sport side? I figure if they're squeezing more HP out of the NC250 compared to the RX3, it's probably going to wear quite a bit quicker, but I'm not sure how raced out this motor is compared to, say, an mx bike.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichrisbot View Post
Question for you, are the maintenance intervals on this motor more on the racing side of the spectrum, or on the dual-sport side? I figure if they're squeezing more HP out of the NC250 compared to the RX3, it's probably going to wear quite a bit quicker, but I'm not sure how raced out this motor is compared to, say, an mx bike.
My opinion (just that) is that the tiny bit of extra hp this bike claims is only from a difference in fuel delivery because it doesn't need to meet the CA emissions requirements. After my trip I noticed that the exhaust outlet was fairly well coated in a thin black soot, as you would expect running a horsepower tune.

I think the rest of the motor is the same as the NC250 in the RX3- camshaft, crank, etc.. This motor is not at all "raced out" compared to the orange, red and blue offerings; these guys are all offering 250s with 40+ hp and 14,000rpm power bands. Even if the LXR250 makes 31hp at 10k rpm; it is much less stressed than most other 250cc mx style bikes. One of the big reasons that I bought this bike was the "big guys" bragging about "100 hour rebuild intervals" on the bottom end!! I don't want a bike that costs $9k and needs a new bottom end just as I'm getting it broke in!!

With the 1.7 quart oil capacity and triple filter screens this bike leans more to the dual-sport end of the maintenance spectrum. Most RX3 folks seem to be using about 2000 mile oil change intervals. For normal use, I would feel comfortable doing the same on the LXR250. Remember EFI does keep the oil much cleaner than our old carbureted bikes ever would.

For "extreme" use it might be wise to change it at 1500 miles or so.

I like to use a good quality oil that has the "MA2" rating for wet clutches. During our long ride, the bike went over 1500 miles without an oil change. The motor never needed any added, even with running hard and hot 9-16 hours per day. I carried a bit of spare oil, but my partners bike ended up using it all.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Your body will get over it. Next season you will be looking for more challanges!...ARH
I fear you may be right!

Old 09-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #238

I do need to write up a better explanation on the Day1 clutch issues and what we found to resolve it; it was tough to convey everything typing on a phone in motel rooms with spotty wifi. Several posts never made it through.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #239

I appreciate the insight, I just sold my KTM 200xc, that was an awesome bike but the maintenance was pretty frequent lol. Been looking for something with the build and suspension of a MX or enduro bike but with engine maintenance intervals closer to a dual sport. The KTM was way faster than I was by a longshot, so I don't need a screamin racing machine.

I emailed Pitster and they quoted me a great price on the LXR, $3300 shipped which I think is pretty killer. I'll have one on the way shortly, hopefully!

Old 09-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChondaChondaChonda View Post
I do need to write up a better explanation on the Day1 clutch issues and what we found to resolve it; it was tough to convey everything typing on a phone in motel rooms with spotty wifi. Several posts never made it through.
Yes, I think we all would like to follow you through the whole clutch problem and successful cure....ARH

Tags
efi, fuel injection, lxr250, pitster