Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2008, 04:37 PM   #1

Anyone have problems with front hubs?

I have a Taotao ATA250-L http://www.taotao.us/ATA250-L.htm . It has the drum brakes up front. The drum is integrated with the hub. Here is what they look like: http://www.chineseatvpart.com/front-...tv-style/p253/ . The bolt pattern is 4/88. Anyway, it seems that these things are not true. I suspect that the bearing carrier is welded into the drum at a slight angle or slightly off center. I don't know how to measure this. The front wheels/tires seem way out of balance when you get up to or over about 30mph. In fact the wobble is astoundly bad and very rhythmic like you would expect in an "out of balance" situation. However, balance really doesn't seem to be the problem. It did this with the original chinese wheels and tires but I have upgraded to ITP T-9 Pro wheels and Holeshot tires. It is still the same. When I try to balance using an excellent static tire balancer, I can add over 3 oz of weight and still not come close to counterbalancing the "out of whack-ness these things have. I'm pretty sure it's the hubs. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, is there a solution? Maybe similar hubs from a better manufacturer or maybe changing the hubs to a different kind or maybe getting different spindles, hubs, brakes, etc??? I would like this to be fixed to a very high degree of perfection. Overall the quad is pretty respectable given it's price $1000, but these hubs are just lame.