Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #1

Passenger on a Hawk?

I'm considering a Hawk for the back roads around my place. I live right at the edge of 14,000 acres of federal land that's just trails and minimum maintenance roads, lots of places to camp. No highway riding to get there, it's basically right out my back door.

Would I be able to carry light camping gear for 1 night, and a passenger (my wife) on dirt roads and trails to the camping spots? Or is that too much load for the Hawk? I weigh 150, my wife is 130.

When I say lightweight camping gear, I'm talking about backpacking gear, not a 30 pack of Budweiser.��

Old 07-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #2

Man I am envious of you having all of that available land around you. You need a couple 4 wheelers. Your wife would really enjoy packing her own stuff and the independence of her own ride.

/

Old 07-03-2016, 11:00 AM   #3

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
I'm considering a Hawk for the back roads around my place. I live right at the edge of 14,000 acres of federal land that's just trails and minimum maintenance roads, lots of places to camp. No highway riding to get there, it's basically right out my back door.

Would I be able to carry light camping gear for 1 night, and a passenger (my wife) on dirt roads and trails to the camping spots? Or is that too much load for the Hawk? I weigh 150, my wife is 130.

When I say lightweight camping gear, I'm talking about backpacking gear, not a 30 pack of Budweiser.��

if you can find room to carry everything, it should handle the weight- I'm about 270 and have gone camping w about 35 -45 lbs of gear. the seat is two levels and the back pegs are there, just tell her she needs to carry the backpack get the harbor freight welding rod case and attach it to the left side of the frame where a second muffler would go if the hawk was a twin lol. an inexpensive set of saddle bags or an expensive wolfman or greatloops bag will sit well and balanced then. add as big of a backpack for her as you need, check a/p and away you go.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 07-03-2016, 11:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Man I am envious of you having all of that available land around you. You need a couple 4 wheelers. Your wife would really enjoy packing her own stuff and the independence of her own ride.

/
Well I think she is interested in getting her own bike. For now though we are just gonna start with 1 Hawk and see how things go.

Lots of 4 wheelers around here, but we really want to get into motorcycles. The ultimate goal being use this land around us, and the Hawk, to get some experience to work up to doing some real adventure traveling!

Last edited by Plainsman; 07-03-2016 at 12:07 PM.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #5

Grin

Quote:
Well I think she is interested in getting her own bike. For now though we are just gonna start with 1 Hawk and see how things go.

Lots of 4 wheelers around here, but we really want to get into motorcycles. The ultimate goal being use this land around us, and the Hawk, to get some experience to work up to doing some real adventure traveling!
These cheap bikes are ideal for what you just described. Do the shake down with this first one, then buy another, so cheap, why not? In a few years, and a few miles between the both of you, graduate to more powerful adventure steeds. I approve !
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-03-2016, 04:32 PM   #6

It can easily handle it. I've had over 400 lbs on my bike. Btw that is not ideal or a good idea, but it did handle it ok

https://www.youtube.com/c/Andrew93

newrider93 AKA Andrew93

Old 07-03-2016, 05:20 PM   #7

The maximum load is 331 lbs. I ride all the time at approx. 300 labs rider, gear and luggage with nary a problem.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 07-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #8

I know I am not the only person that has see two people on a 50cc moped hop on that moto and ride to your camping spot and have some fun

Old 07-04-2016, 12:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman77 View Post
I know I am not the only person that has see two people on a 50cc moped hop on that moto and ride to your camping spot and have some fun
i thought the same thing ... the wife on the back of my storm does not change a thing

Old 07-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #10

Mine handles 2 people off road no problem at all. This motor is great for low end grunt.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #11

Quote:
I weigh 150, my wife is 130.
I've said it before and it bears repeating; for your own safety, it is wise to never reveal your wife's weight. If asked, the only appropriate answer is "just right."

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #12

I would upgrade the rear shock to one that you can adjust the preload and also rebound. with your combined weight it may not be an issue but with me at almost 250 and then put someone on the back it tend to take the weight off the front tire effecting breaking. just something to think about.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #13

Just a warning for anyone planning to ride 2 up on one of these bikes. My experience with my lifan gy-5 involved carrying about 80 lbs of "cargo" off road to a hunting cabin. I have negotiated this off road area many times, lots of soft deep sand and also some muddy water crossings. Well it was a helluva struggle, about a mile in I turned around and went back to the paved road rather than taking the off road shortcut.

The bikes off road potential was seriously depreciated when loaded. Granted my rear tire was not the best, but I found negotiating difficult terrain much more difficult loaded vs unloaded.

I was not a happy camper trying to push a loaded china bike out of a mud hole while struggling to keep it upright...It was a close exhausting moment, I almost lost the bike in the water and decided to turn around before drowning it and being stranded miles from comfort...YMMV

Old 07-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #14

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I've said it before and it bears repeating; for your own safety, it is wise to never reveal your wife's weight. If asked, the only appropriate answer is "just right."
LOL, in the entertainment business, when asked, the producers/directors group would almost always reply ...

"TWO.....Damned MUCH!"

wives ,however, can be far less forgiving
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 07-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserchinarider View Post

I was not a happy camper trying to push a loaded china bike out of a mud hole while struggling to keep it upright...It was a close exhausting moment, I almost lost the bike in the water and decided to turn around before drowning it and being stranded miles from comfort...YMMV
Someone above mentioned considering quads, and with your post, kind of confirmed that. Two-up is a lot different than two people on two different bikes, but when weighed down, as you were, even then, both bikes have a better chance to leave you stranded, and it would be quite a mess to be dealing with two bikes!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard