Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2023, 09:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad88 View Post
Sounds like it may be the one way clutch on the flywheel not allowing the engine to crank over properly.
I'll elevate the rear tires so if it is the clutch the tires spinning might be less drag

Old 03-22-2023, 10:33 PM   #17

Is the carb standard with a lever to flip up to choke?

Also, you might have a member close by that can help if you give your location.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 03-22-2023, 10:42 PM   #18

I would try to introduce fuel either at the spark plug hole or at the carb throat. A trickle of gas at the hole, then install the plug and cap. Someone mentioned starter fluid. If it runs a bit, then you have a carb problem.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 03-23-2023, 06:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvZ061 View Post
I'll elevate the rear tires so if it is the clutch the tires spinning might be less drag
Not the clutch that drives the wheels. I was referring to the one way clutch attached to the flywheel. If the springs inside get worn it can cause erratic starting/cranking.

Old 03-23-2023, 12:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad88 View Post
Not the clutch that drives the wheels. I was referring to the one way clutch attached to the flywheel. If the springs inside get worn it can cause erratic starting/cranking.
Is there a way to test and verify that before throwing another part at it?

Old 03-23-2023, 04:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Is there a way to test and verify that before throwing another part at it?
I'm not sure, but I took the side cover off and cranked the motor. The flywheel wasn't consistently spinning the starter over. It would spin normally and the kind of stop and jump. Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

Old 03-23-2023, 06:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Here’s the video. As you can see it tried to start initially, but never does more than that. But also depress the throttle and it quits. Also does the same if the idle speed screw is turned in anymore. No idea where idle screw needs to be at right now, ut hasn’t run at all to be able to adjust anything.

Something is touching ground when you push the throttle. I think you have a short. Have never seen the throttle stop the starter from cranking. Follow the throttle cable to the carb and see if you can find something.

Old 03-23-2023, 06:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by clash 168cc View Post
Something is touching ground when you push the throttle. I think you have a short. Have never seen the throttle stop the starter from cranking. Follow the throttle cable to the carb and see if you can find something.
I don’t see it touching anything electrical. However now I have another problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	985C4A5D-31F1-4BFE-8C4A-5FAAAF841F94.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	28858  

Old 03-23-2023, 07:43 PM   #24

I would buy another new one and sell that one for parts or tinker with it when you have time and sell later.

Old 03-23-2023, 08:12 PM   #25

If that machine were adjusted properly it would fire on the first or second turnover, just like it should if kick started.

If you have fire and air and fuel up to the carb it is time to pull the carb and check it.

We are not talking major rocket science, it's an ATV carb. Pull it out and clear all the sealed screw plugs and set the idle screw 2 turns out (which is about normal), check the float and needle valve and clean and blow out the main jet.

This is the first thing most people do if a stored bike, lawn mower or go cart will not fire. It does not take a tank full of rotten fuel to jell up a carb, just a glaze on the needle valve will stop one cold.

Old 03-23-2023, 08:34 PM   #26

Is there a known good starter or preferred starter for these things? This one isn’t even a week old.

Old 03-23-2023, 08:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by krat View Post
If that machine were adjusted properly it would fire on the first or second turnover, just like it should if kick started.

If you have fire and air and fuel up to the carb it is time to pull the carb and check it.

We are not talking major rocket science, it's an ATV carb. Pull it out and clear all the sealed screw plugs and set the idle screw 2 turns out (which is about normal), check the float and needle valve and clean and blow out the main jet.

This is the first thing most people do if a stored bike, lawn mower or go cart will not fire. It does not take a tank full of rotten fuel to jell up a carb, just a glaze on the needle valve will stop one cold.
Go watch the video. If idle screw is 2 turns out it won’t even turn over. This isn’t a case of bad storage. Also, as I’ve mentioned the carb is new, I doubt the jets are plugged since it’s never had fuel in it prior to a week ago. Also as mentioned the plug comes out wet with fuel, so therefore it’s getting fuel, and it’s got spark. What it doesn’t have is the ability for the starter to spin it over with the throttle opened any at all or with the idle screw turned in any more than 4 turns out, which it’s not going to run that far out.

I appreciate the response, but would ask of you to reread what I’ve said and watch the video I’ve uploaded. I think that’ll give you a better understanding as to what I’m fighting. It started this BEFORE putting it away last year, it’s actually what prompted it getting put away.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:07 AM   #28

My son's GIO Mini-Beast sounded similar when cranking and it turned out to be the handlebar mounted choke that was keeping it from starting. It's kind of a flimsy assembly and the cable had slipped out of where it was supposed to be. So it looked like the choke was on, but it wasn't actually moving the choke on the carb much. I took the assembly apart, got the cable routed correctly and it started right up after that. Not sure if your machine has the handlebar mounted choke though as it's a different make. Fuel mixture screw on mine was around 2 turns out.

Not sure if this is the problem with your quad, but just figured I would mention it. I don't know about Tao Tao but the choke actuation on the GIO Mini-Beast was a pretty hinky setup.Best of luck with it and hope you get it sorted soon. Cheers.

Old 03-27-2023, 06:33 PM   #29

Got the new starter on today, also replaced the old start button since I could see some corrosion. After adjusting the carb back to a good starting point it started and ran. Idle screw is about 4 turns out to idle at a decent rpm, but it is still responsive and dialed in mixture screw. My kid is out riding it right now. He’s happy and so am I. I’m guessing that new starter was just bad out of the box? The not turning over with no throttle went away with the 2nd starter swap

Old 04-21-2023, 03:19 AM   #30

...can it be the battery?