Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #1

2007 EX250 - 56k warning (pics inside!)

I thought I'd share a little about my Ninja 250.

It's a candy red 2007 model, purchased in May of 08 with 2551 miles on the clock.

Here she is on purchase day -

Some of the first few mods were the removal of the rear fender, flush mounted front signals, a taller custom windscreen, and a Corbin seat.
The following pictures highlight those items -

Rear fender removed

Flush mounted front signals

Taller windscreen and Corbin seat

I went to visit my sister in Florida at the end of June -
From Monday leaving home until returning on Friday, I logged 1041 miles and spent less than $75 on gas (at nearly $4 per gallon).
Believe it or not, I couldn't tell I had any luggage on the bike at all.

330 miles later...

I've posted this picture here before, I think...from a return trip to my sister's place in October -

Same ride -

I took a nice ride the day after thanksgiving and got these pictures -

She currently has a 14,888 miles. I have a new custom windscreen on the way, as well as a new rear tire (BT45) and a chain and sprocket set. I'm changing the gears a liitle from stock, going up one tooth in the front and down one tooth in the rear. This should lower the rpm's on the top end, and allow a little more use of 1st gear, while reducing the acceleration just a bit.

I replaced the factory rubber (rear first) at around 7k miles. I selected the Perelli Sport Demons, which handle great, but the rear has started to square off a bit. The new Brigestone BT45 (on the way) has a dual compound with the middle of the tread being slightly harder. Hopefully this will get me a few more miles on the rear tire.

I also picked up a set of wheels from a 2004 model, which are black. I'll be mounting the BT45 on the black rear and be mismatched for a while as I wait for the front Perelli to need replacing.

My previous riding experience included some time on the EL250. The Eliminator model, which is now only available in the 125 version. I killed 2 engines in the EL before moving up to a Suzuki GS500E, so I was rather concerned about the durability and life expectancy from this bike, but I have been extremely impressed. There is no doubt that I was somewhat rough on the old EL, but I'm still not convinced the death of both engines was all my fault. The EX puts all of that behind me though, and inspires quite a bit of confidence in the saddle.

A couple of other things I added to the bike - ProGrip grips, throttle lock, RAM GPS mounting ball, and a 12v outlet.

I would not hesitate to recommend this bike to other riders. It performs well in just about any situation. It handles great, it's lightweight, gets great gas mileage, has plenty of parts available and doesn't break the bank. What more could one ask for?
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 02-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #2

Thats a nice bike.
I don't think we've had the EX in Canada for a long time.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #3

Thanks

I could be mistaken, but I think Canada gets the GPZ250. Same bike, more or less...but it's the European version.
And I think the GPZ's look better than the EX.

I'll poke around on the 250 riders club site and see if I can find out for sure.

Edit: I was thinking of the GPX and ZZR models.
Here's a good place to see the differences - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_ar...f_the_EX250%3F

Old 02-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #4

Looks good

Old 02-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Looks good
Thank you, sir!

Old 02-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #6

One of my favorite things about having a GPS unit and software is finding twisty roads where I've never been. I try to connect several together to make a "loop" for a fun ride.

Today I set off to check out a new set of roads, and test out a new camera. A lot of riders in this area head north to the mountains, and for good reason, but I prefer to go the other direction...hence my screen name.

Sometimes, these rides don't work out as I had hoped, and today was going to be one of those days. It got off to a good start though, with the first point being the best road of the day.

I didn't get a picture of the best road, but this was taken while on it...

The next road wasn't as nice, but not so bad...

Who's this guy?

That's the guy who led me here...

And what's behind me?

A couple of miles of dirt, mud and ruts...and the rest gravel and some type of gravel pavement. No pictures, but I did note it was 5.5 miles worth.

Turn around or brave that mud hole and the closed road? I could park and walk around to look ahead. The GPS shows another road less than a mile ahead (I'm guessing). How bad could it be?

I'll have to find out another time. Maybe I'll return on the Lifan before I set out for the TAT. I turned around.

Here's the top of the hill seen in the mirror..

And the view to the west...

Nice, huh?

I continued on....sort of. I wish I had stopped to take a picture of a cool wooden bridge that crosses a set of railroad tracks on the way back out, but I was eager to find another good road. That didn't really happen though. The next road wasn't bad, but it wasn't really exciting...and the next road was once again...dirt. I didn't turn.

Time for lunch and the ride home.

Not a bad ride overall...and I did find at least one road I'll be going back to ride again.

Most of that stopped time was spent in a Subway.

Today was beautiful. Highs in the mid 60's. I was sitting at light on the ride home and noticed a big sign on the right showing the temp at 63. Almost perfect! I get through the light and look to my left. There is another sign...showing the temp at 68? Uhh, okay. A few miles up the road I see another sign on the right showing the temp...at 64. I get it now, it's cooler on the right side of the road!

I saw more bikes today than I've seen since before Thankksgiving.
Spring is on the way!

Old 02-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #7

Looks like you took the wrong bike And that you have nice riding days, we still have snow, ice, and salt, so I don't want to take my bike out yet

Old 02-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #8

If I had found the twisty roads I was seeking, the bike choice would have been perfect...but you're right, it wasn't a good choice for that mud. I had already ridden through a little mud, and I was glad it hadn't rained in a few days. The Sport Demons are great on the street, but they suck in the mud.

I would send this perfect weather up to you if I could. Today was about perfect....70 degrees w/ a bit of a breeze. The only downer is the shorter days right now...but it's still better than the summer heat. And we should get a couple of more good days before the rain arrives.

I only rode about 100 miles today, but I'll get more tomorrow.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedSouth
I would send this perfect weather up to you if I could. Today was about perfect....70 degrees w/ a bit of a breeze.
I hate you. ***returns to shovelling roof***

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 02-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #10

Old 02-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #11

SS:

Man, that is a FINE looking bike! I'm happy with my Hisun 200, but for some reason this winter I've been looking at Kawasakis. I love those 250s! There is a ton of videos on YouTube that I've been watching showing Ninja 250s. The pics of your bike have me drooling!

Old 02-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite

I hate you. ***returns to shovelling roof***
Ack! Shovelling the roof? 8O

That reminds me of some pictures someone sent me in an email...with snow piled up over houses, and a snowmobile on the roof. I like to see a wee bit of snow every now and then, but I hope I never have to face something like that.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaguy
SS:

Man, that is a FINE looking bike! I'm happy with my Hisun 200, but for some reason this winter I've been looking at Kawasakis. I love those 250s! There is a ton of videos on YouTube that I've been watching showing Ninja 250s. The pics of your bike have me drooling!
Thank you very much!

I must admit, though...I'm a little shocked to hear that about my 07 model, considering all the stir over the newer style 08's. I like the looks of the newer design, but as I understand it, the "classic" models offer a liitle more versatility.....from the more upright seating position to the legroom, plus 20 years of aftermarket opportunity. But, the newer design may prove itself to be just as useful in time. It's still early yet.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #14

I've used a snowblower on the roof.