Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #1

Xingyue XY400 Help?

Well I am new to this forum and Chinese built bikes, but not new to motorcycles. I have been doing online research on them, but it seems there is not a lot of specific info for certain mfg's or models.
Wow are there a lot of different mfg's or should I say assemblers of what appear to be the same product.
So for sale in my area from a dealer is a brand new 2009 Xingyue XY400Y
Dualsport. $2500 cdn.
I have been looking for a used dualsport for a little while, in that exact price range, but most are 10 yrs old, higher mileage and some just downright "well used". So as I stumbled across this Xingyue it got me thinking, heck its brand new, right size for what I want ( which is a bike to take me to trails and fireroads) no air for this old guy.
I have other bikes for Touring, scooting around town and vintage that see little use.
I guess the question is, what can anyone tell me about the pros and cons of this brand and model?
Seems to be mixed opinions on these bikes, so I ask for more feedback from those that may have knowledge here at CR.
I do understand "you get what you pay for" theory, so my expectations are real for this price.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Rick

Old 10-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #2

Hello and welcome to the forums .

Allow me to be the first to tell you to steer clear of the XY400... It is probably the worst chinabike ever made... Horribly unreliable and impossible to get parts for. I know it seems like a good deal but seriously it's not. A few of the forum members here had them and they were total junk, I don't think anyone here has one anymore.

There are much better deals to be had than that bike, I have a Konker 200 and it's an excellent bike, just not highway usable. Pitster Pro in Canada sells the Konker equivalent... I think it's called the XTR200 or something?

Edit: I found the link to Doc's 400 review... Starts out not too bad, but check out all the problems he has with it as the thread goes on... The 400's are steaming piles of...

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...wtopic&t=11778

Old 10-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #3

Welcome! I love Alberta in the fall.

If you just want a reliable bike for fire roads and trails, then MIC's recommendation is probably the best. There have been several success stories about that bike, and IIRC, it is a bored and stroked version of a Suzuki 125. Very reliable.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-04-2012, 03:19 AM   #4

Welcome; we are glad you joined us. You were wise to inquire here before you purchased. Stay away, far away, from any of the Xingyue XY400 motorcycles! 8O As my fellow moderators stated, the Qingqi/Konker/QLink/Pitster Pro 200cc, motorcycles are good bikes.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #5

Thank-you to you 3 for your responses.
I read all 18 pages (whew) of Fastdocs thread. Other than a few small and
really insignificant quirks, why the harsh comments?
Bottom end noise looked to be solved with an "adjustment", minor leaks and tweaks, and a broken speedo housing.
I was expecting some sort of catastophic failures, like the engine grenading, tranny imploding, or frame issues.
Are there other reports of issues by "other" owners?
Or are they too busy fixing their CB's :wink:
Thanks again.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #6

400 junk

well then by all means buy it,, BUT WE TOLD you so,,I had the 400,,couldnt get any parts or even the dealer (pitster pro ) to reply to my inquiries for parts,,,,hmmm lets see Radiator hoses rotted off at 50 miles,,,speedo cable broke due to poorly mfgered .front hub /fork leg design,, poor suspension,,,, poor performance for a 400,,,,,,so i unloaded at a loss,,,i was completely truthful with the buyer ,,he bought it anyhow and 400 miles later engine problems,,,,and did i mention pitster pro totally ignored all attempts to get a freaking radiator hose.Maybe if the dealer throws in a complete spare engine in the deal .

Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #7

Trickster, you've probably found the one China bike that many of our members vehemently oppose. Doc and Fish had enough negative experience for me to stay away.

Not only is the aforementioned Konker / Pitster Pro an excellent bike, the Saga 200 is decent as well. While the Konker / PP is Suzuki based, the Saga is a Honda clone (that Spud has designated as Hondoid).

The China Bikes are sorta rare in Canada, whereas several different versions were imported into the States. I've observed that most of the Canadian CB dealers are a little greedy, and the price point is too high (IMHO). Many of us feel that an older Japanese bike is a better idea once the price exceeds $2000.00.

Have you seen any Saga bikes for sale in your area?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #8

NO.

THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE NO.

I like chinabikes. I am the only one here that I am aware of who has owned at least one of every common one. GY's, Zongs, Q's, and the XY400, and even a Chinese streetbike or two.

The XY400 is worth nothing.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #9

We know CB's here.

We know their good and bad points and discuss them honestly.

The XY is of no value. I'm sure mine was going to grenade and I did not want it to be mine when it happened. I told the buyer all about the noise and demonstrated it for him. He was informed and made a decision to buy it anyway. I sold it at a significant loss, and was glad I did.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #10

An excerpt:

These bikes are excellent at changing hands.

The other nuisances I could have lived with, typical Chinabike stuff, but this engine noise, possibly a rod, is NOT OK . Although I am glad I was able to help Daddy469 at the time, and I did have some fun with it, I regret buying this pig and the significant financial loss I expect to take on it. I hope I sell it tonight. I will sell it cheaply enough that even IF it needs an entire new engine it will still be a fair deal for the buyer.

I took it in the shorts with three Chinabikes. The ZS250GS with no compression, a Kinroad 250 dual exhaust streetbike (actually I lost no money on that because I bought it so cheaply, but it was a crappy bike), and this PP400.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #11

Finally I want to conclude on a positive note.

My 2 Q's were delightful quality bikes and I miss them very much.

My Zong was a good (albeit cursed if there is such a thing) bike also. Indeed I'm trying to talk another guy into selling me his.

My GY's had a few little issues but were good solid fun bikes as well.

Like I said I like CB's, so when I tell you to RUN from the XY I KNOW what I'm talking about.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #12

If anyone has ever ridden the Xingyue XY400 bikes for 5,000 miles without engine problems, I have never heard of it. :( While researching this motorcycle I searched the internet, and I have never found a single report anywhere which affirms the long term reliability of these bikes. :(

You came to the right place to learn about Chinese motorcycles. We are glad you joined us. We like Chinese motorcycles. We know Chinese motorcycles. We wanted very badly to like the Xingyue XY400 motorcycles, but we just can't. :(

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #13

Well I really appreciate the heads up on the XY400 Xingyue. You guys are so against and with your knowledge base her with CB's, I am going to pass on this one.
I was looking at and still am, KLR's, Honda XL's, Yamaha XT's, Suzuki DR's.
I had wanted to spend around $2000 or so, but they seem to be a hard find around here for a decent used one.
Hence my interest in the Xingyue.
The 200 displacement is just a bit too small for what I am after, I want to be able to do highway speeds (100-110 kmh, 55-65 mph) so I can reach my offroad destination without having to trailer it or be a target on the road trying to keep up.
Are there any larger displacement dualsport CB's out there that would fit this need?
Once again thanks to all for your input and advice and saving me from making a costly mistake.
Rick

Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #14

Hold out for a decent KLR/KLX/XR/XT/DT in the 250cc range or greater.

They are common here in your price range in non-shiny but good condition.

DO NOT consider the XY400. Although they bare not freeway capable machines, the other CB's mentioned would otherwise suit your needs.

Stay with us, we look forward to your contributions.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #15

You can find KLR's in the $2K range but as you say, they will be older models... But really, they haven't changed much since Kawi first put them out. Almost bulletproof and the liquid cooled engines last pretty much forever. The only bad thing about them is they're heavy pigs for tight work... Fine for gravel and well packed dry trails, but not so great for single track type stuff . Most of my riding is on the pavement so the bike suits me well, and I have the Konker for the tight stuff . The KLR is the only bike I've ever had that I would replace the next day if something happened to it. Heck, I'd let it sleep in the house in the winter if I could figure out a way to get it in!