Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2016, 10:06 PM   #1

Hawk 250 HP and Highway use

I am planning on getting a hawk 250cc over a Japanese bike for the price. My goal is to create a bike that tops out at 75mph and cruises at 65mph. To do this I will do the following.
(Disclaimer: I am a newbie and I know that this seems impossible but I think it is do able)
I did the reasearch and have figured out that people are getting 55mph for a top speed. So I hav used a calculator and figured I need a 10hp increase to get 55mph to 75mph for 200lb rider
Mods to get 75MPH
-New Exhaust +3
-New carb +2
-New sprocket + 5mph
-New transmission (Why don't people do this more often??? The hawk should have the same HP as the honda but the honda has +20mph on it. The only difference is the 6th gear. Can I add a new transmission to get that speed? Remember I'm a noobie)
-Airbox mod +5mph
-New Road only wheels +5mph
Now I know the transmission may sound stupid but why can't it be done. It would be a great improvement!! Why couldn't you just upgrade the engine?

Also if people who maxed out their hawk could give their weight ( yes i know) and max speed so I can average the actual HP of the hawk. If you do I will post results on this thread.

Also are there any other dual sport bikes that can go an actual speed of 75mph for under $2500?

Old 06-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #2

I'm not the one to talk you off the ledge, others here with far more experience.

I did see somewhere , probably on this forum, that there is a kit for a 6th gear, but it's not a true extra gear, more like an overdrive that is not very beneficial.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 06-09-2016, 10:24 PM   #3

Welcome aboard. I just don't know if you're going to be able to wring out those kind of stresses on that engine for sustainable & reliable periods of time. I might be completely wrong but hey... Tweaking our bikes is part of the fun.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-09-2016, 10:26 PM   #4

The 6 speed I thought I read about had the same end gear it just stuffed an extra one in between.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0ss View Post
The 6 speed I thought I read about had the same end gear it just stuffed an extra one in between.
Thats what I thought...is there a better way to get the speed then?
Off topic but would anyone know the tt250 top speed?

Old 06-09-2016, 11:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyderc99 View Post
I hear people talking about high 60's being doable. I am guessing with your list of mods going down a steep hill with a brisk wind at 75 is possible

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can give some thoughts.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:16 AM   #7

Quote:
I am planning on getting a hawk 250cc over a Japanese bike for the price. My goal is to create a bike that tops out at 75mph and cruises at 65mph.
Well, I guess you can call me "John P, crusher of dreams", but there is no way to take one of these cheap Hawks and mod it into a reliable highway machine. PERIOD.

Let me explain. And keep in mind that I've done a s*!%load of stuff to mine, and have more parts and mods that I'll be sharing documentation for in the not too distant future. But all the mods in the world won't turn this bike into a Honda or a KTM.

The engine makes about 14 horsepower. In order to get another 10 (like 66% more!) You would need to bore out the motor and do all kinds of stuff. You aren't just going to bolt on 5 horses with a new carb and pipe. People here have done those mods, and no one has reported a 33% power increase.

These bikes run really, really rough. They do not have counterbalanced engines, so the harder you rev them, the more they shake. When cruising along at 40MPH my bike buzzes like it's going to fall apart. Others here have gone on sustained fishing expeditions to get rid of all the buzzing, without complete success.

These bikes also have very weak brakes, which doesn't matter when you aren't going to fast. But they won't stop these things from 75 in an emergency.

The suspensions are super cheap, and super old school.

The seats are uncomfortable for "sustained" rides.

I could go on, but I'll sum up by saying - I LOVE my Hawk! No one is a bigger fan than me. And I can afford literally any vehicle on the planet, so that's saying a lot. But let's not pretend we can turn it into a refined, powerful and reliable bike. It just can't be done. Even if you spent $4,000, you won't have the equivalent of a new $4,000 Honda.

So my advice is, if $2,500 is your budget, find a nice used KTM, Honda or Yamaha. It'll give you what you want with no work, and you'll have higher end, more reliable components all around.

Again, sorry to burst anyone's bubble.

2016 Hawk 250 - Black
All my mods are documented on my Blog!

My Blog | Google+ | Twitter | Facebook

Old 06-10-2016, 06:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnp View Post
Well, I guess you can call me "John P, crusher of dreams", but there is no way to take one of these cheap Hawks and mod it into a reliable highway machine. PERIOD.

Let me explain. And keep in mind that I've done a s*!%load of stuff to mine, and have more parts and mods that I'll be sharing documentation for in the not too distant future. But all the mods in the world won't turn this bike into a Honda or a KTM.

The engine makes about 14 horsepower. In order to get another 10 (like 66% more!) You would need to bore out the motor and do all kinds of stuff. You aren't just going to bolt on 5 horses with a new carb and pipe. People here have done those mods, and no one has reported a 33% power increase.

These bikes run really, really rough. They do not have counterbalanced engines, so the harder you rev them, the more they shake. When cruising along at 40MPH my bike buzzes like it's going to fall apart. Others here have gone on sustained fishing expeditions to get rid of all the buzzing, without complete success.

These bikes also have very weak brakes, which doesn't matter when you aren't going to fast. But they won't stop these things from 75 in an emergency.

I could go on, but I'll sum up by saying - I LOVE my Hawk! No one is a bigger fan than me. And I can afford literally any vehicle on the planet, so that's saying a lot. But let's not pretend we can turn it into a refined, powerful and reliable bike. It just can't be done. Even if you spent $4,000, you won't have the equivalent of a new $4,000 Honda.

So my advice is, if $2,500 is your budget, find a nice used KTM, Honda or Yamaha. It'll give you what you want with no work, and you'll have higher end, more reliable components all around.

I think it was Joe at CSC that posted he got a gps confirmed 73 mph out of one of his first TT250's but I wouldn't want to run at those revs for more than a few seconds as I'm not a fan of grenading engines. The hawk motor is setup for torque, at he highest revs you can get, the peak power has already left the building.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 06-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #9

I think the Storm has a counter balanced engine, so perhaps a Bashan Storm may be a better choice to start with than a Hawk for you?

2016 CSC TT250

Old 06-10-2016, 10:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
I'm not the one to talk you off the ledge...
Me neither. I'm an enabler. Go have fun with it, and let us know how it goes for you.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnp View Post

Thanks for your help...if i were to get a hawk I would still ride a lot of highway but not interstate. The big problem is that I cant find a japenese bike for 2500. Thanks for your help though and I will definitely use your recommendations!

Old 06-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #12

My plan for the Hawk is to build an overland travel bike. I too wanted the Hawk to cruise at 65 MPH. I have 17/45 gearing, Mikuni carb, pod air filter and decatted header. I have over 2000 miles on it now and can assure you that 65 mph cruising is a stretch. My top speed is 68 and it will cruise at 60 but I find it runs best at 6000 RPM which is 57 mph. It will drone on all day at 57 with very little vibes. There may be a little more top cruising speed with gearing. Good luck. BTW I'm a big dude at 6'1" and 230lbs. I generally ride with 40lbs of touring gear as well. I find it a fairly comfortable lightweight adventure touring albeit slow and wouldn't hesitate taking it cross country.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 06-10-2016, 11:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
My plan for the Hawk is to build an overland travel bike. I too wanted the Hawk to cruise at 65 MPH. I have 17/45 gearing, Mikuni carb, pod air filter and decatted header. I have over 2000 miles on it now and can assure you that 65 mph cruising is a stretch. My top speed is 68 and it will cruise at 60 but I find it runs best at 6000 RPM which is 57 mph. It will drone on all day at 57 with very little vibes. There may be a little more top cruising speed with gearing. Good luck. BTW I'm a big dude at 6'1" and 230lbs. I generally ride with 40lbs of touring gear as well. I find it a fairly comfortable lightweight adventure touring albeit slow and wouldn't hesitate taking it cross country.
Hey wolf, good copy on your bike. My Bashan is stock and likes to live at 53-54 before the spit and stammering occurs.

What would a fuel injection system do for a setup like yours, beside break the bank?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 06-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Hey wolf, good copy on your bike. My Bashan is stock and likes to live at 53-54 before the spit and stammering occurs.

What would a fuel injection system do for a setup like yours, beside break the bank?
Besides adding complexity, I suspect it would improve fuel economy as well as power, and yes, $$$$$$.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 06-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Mine topped about 60-62, roughly compensating for the slight speedo error. I'm just shy of 6' and weigh about 175lbs. It's supposed to do quite a bit more according to CSC, mine's not broken in and might improve.

Your endeavor of speed is going to involve more than bolt-on mods, you'd have to get into the motor; cam, compression, displacement... You're best bet would be a different engine. The RX3 250 is supposed to put out 24HP, that would easily get you there. Or maybe an older 2 stroke to keep the weight and complexities down.

You could easily find an older Jap bike for 2k that will have the power.

Tags
dual sport, hawk 250, hawk 250 specs, highway, horsepower