Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro

Old 01-26-2017, 07:37 PM   #1

My Hawk Customizations

I am a long time reader, first time post. Want to thank all friendly people here in ChinaRiders Forums. I have learned numerous things that I would otherwise not have known.
This is the current configuration of my Hawk. It has been discussed here many times before, so nothing special to talk about it:

Carburetor: Mikuni VM 26
Longer Shift Lever
O-ring chain
Wider mirrors
Owner Manual Canister
Trunk
Shinko 705 Tires:
Front Tire: 90/90-21
Rear Tire: 120/80-18
16/42 sprockets. Note: compare to 17/50, this combination reduces chain wear because of lower linear speed. It also eliminates problems with front sprocket cover installation.

I want to share only the mods not described on this forum or the modes done in different way. By the way, I sell all new parts removed from my Hawk. See my post in the Free Classifieds section.
http://www.chinariders.net/showpost....27&postcount=1
Very inexpensive.

------------------
Let's begin with the air filter and a crankcase vent. As appears, it doesn't have proper oil catch breather. That is the reason why many people complain about oiled paper element. It is pretty clear from the pictures how to fix this problem.

Made plastic cover.

Stainless steel dish scrubber used for the filling.

Clean the drainage hole. Remove stock cap from the opposite side of the hole and install the purge tube.

To make the purge tube, hit the end of the silicone tube with a lighter, than quickly grip it with cold pliers (don't press too much). Hold it for 10-15 seconds, cut excess.
When the bike is on the side stand, the oil slow drips from the oil catcher into the purge tube. It should be cleaned periodically.

------------------
The cable harness under the tank was installed incorrectly from the factory.

I was unable to move it left. Further investigation reveals that the end of the cable connected to the rear turn light is very short, whereas the license plate light cable has 1 ft. extra length.

So, the short wires have been extended and the longer ones cut to have entire area more organized. The last 2 ft. of the updated cable harness have been sealed into heat shrink tubing.

All electrical connectors moved from exposed to dirt area into this small compartment.

------------------
The cover of the front sprocket needs some improvement. There are casting burrs on the surface adjoining the engine body, making a gap. The chain lubricant mixed with the dirt throws into the generator area through this gap no matter how tighten the screws are. The fix is easy. Put a large piece of a sandpaper on the flat area and scrub the sprocket cover on it until you have a nice clean surface.

------------------
Clumsy and unreliable fuse holder replaced with the car-style water resistant one.

------------------
The spark plug. Make sure you have installed the proper one. Common mistake is in the use of dual resistors in the spark plug and in the cap. That causes the voltage on the secondary ignition coil to double above the normal during the discharge and leads to failures. Dual resistors make the spark less "juicy" as well. Here is a simple test to check what type of the spark plug should be installed. Remove the cap from the plug and measure resistance between the cap connector and engine body. If the readings are 7-12 kOhm than the spark should be non-resistor type (NGK DP8EA9 or equivalent).

------------------
Additional vibration/noise isolation has been added to the tank area.
At the place shown on the following picture the tank was simply laying on the frame touching it with its welded joint, because the original rubber mount is too thin. There is a good chance that the welding on the tank would be damaged within the time due to the rubbing vibration of the metal to metal at the touch point. That could cause a gas leaks, not to mention that the tank body works as a noise acoustic resonator. It was fixed by installing 1/4 inch thick rubber insertion as shown.

Rubber tube inserts on both sides:

Cover bracket installation changed.

------------------
Rerouted clutch cable to the left side of the steering head as shown. That significantly reduce friction inside the cable. Note installed cable protection.

------------------
Made this steel inserts to fix outward slope of the pegs. It prevents feet slide off the pegs.

------------------
The incandescent headlamp replaced with LED identical to one from CSC. They sell it for $69.95+SH. Here is a better deal: two for $58.98+ free SH - https://www.amazon.com/Yudely-Headli...4+Fanless+9003

It is very good LED bulb with L/H beam = 2000/3000 lm and additional installable filters for the desired light temp. There is one cavity however. It is a fanless, and it overheats. As measured with infrared thermometer, the temperatures of the improperly designed heatsink rises up to +90-95 degC in summer days. It means that the temp. of the LED chips are well above +120-130 degC. Not sure for how long they would serve under such a stress. If you consider headlamp LED replacement, I'd certainly recommend taking LED bulb with fan.

------------------
Useless position light has been removed and the wires cut.

------------------
Installed additional 800 lm LED to light up right edge of the road. It draws just 0.6A. $12.96, free SH -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191981841360?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

------------------
The electrical ground wire terminal improperly installed between two painted surfaces (bad electrical contact). It must be moved under the bolt head shown and installed with a spring lock washer.

------------------
Installed electrolyte absorbing belt on the battery to protect from possible spills. I will replace stock battery with the sealed one anyway.

------------------
The steering head bearings must be greased. There was not even a trace of the grease whatsoever when I open it.
As you now, the swingarm on the Hawk-250 is not needle bearinged. It is bushed and requires a lot of grease. After greasing the steering head bearings, it wasn't a big surprise for me to discover dead dry swingarm bushings. So, clean all the parts with a gas-damped cloth and apply grease generously. Do the same on the following parts which also were dry and dirt from the factory:
shock pivot points
clutch lever pivot
front brake lever pivot
rear brake pedal pivot

------------------
The shock has been replaced with a shorter one (because I plan to rise the seat).
KLX-110 DRZ
http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-KLX-110-DRZ-Rear-Shock-KLX110-DRZ110-Pit-Bike-280mm-1200lbs-/131804524606?hash=item1eb029703e:g:oh8AAOSw~oFXLEI b&vxp=mtr

The upper point requires four washers to be installed:

And the lower point requires two additional spacers (all purchased at ACE):

The swingarm, the rear brake pedal, and the muffler insulator have been silver -repainted. High temp ceramic paint used for the muffler insulator. This is how the bike looks with shorter shock.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #2

Continued

Awkward rear brake pedal has been straightened and reshaped as shown. The anti-skid cover installed.
$8 for two+free SH
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Motorcycle-aluminum-brake-Pedal-Pad-cover-anti-skid-brake-pad-cover-motorcycle-accessary-For-Yamaha-for/32711084462.html?
Original cover is a little wide. Needs 1/4 inch cut.

------------------
It's been mentioned here that MSR longer shift lever scrapes the shoes. I fixed it by installing large diameter electrical heat shrink tubing.

Later I found much better solution with this cap. $1 each+free SH on Ebay

------------------
The canister is mounted in different and more stronger way than usual. With this approach it resides within external dimensions of the bike and less susceptible to damage in case if the bike falls on the left side. Both plastic brackets have been removed and replaced with a steel plate.

The bottom of the canister bolted to the bent helmet lock base (I don't use the helmet lock).

Don't forget to drill new drainage hole as shown and to seal the old one.

------------------
Measured battery drain current with the ignition key in ON/OFF position. This is a helpful reference point for possible electrical troubleshooting. Battery is fully charged, all electrical systems have no problems. In my case with all signal lamps in the cluster replaced with LEDs, it measures 122.8 mA with the ignition key in ON position and 0 mA in OFF position.

------------------
This is a stand I made. It is very easy to take bike off the stand, just push it ahead.

------------------
Ignition key and trunk key are conveniently assembled. No more scratches around ignition lock.

------------------
Plans for the future upgrades:

Install windshield
Install voltmeter
Install +5V USB adapter for smartphone and GPS
Modify the seat as shown. I am sick and tired of squeezing my balls on the front of the seat.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #3

Great write up, thank you for sharing. I haven't seen some of these mods yet

Old 01-26-2017, 08:47 PM   #4

Excellent write up!!!! Wow I learned some good stuff thank you

Old 01-27-2017, 07:59 AM   #5

Nice write up! All you done was add a lot more to my list that I already don't have time to do. lol One thing I will do 1st is the stand.
2020 Venom Ghost 250
105main,40pilot,17/36 sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9
2016 Black Hawk 250
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #6

Welcome! Thanks for the terrific write-up.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #7

One more easy-to-make tool to measure rear axle and the swingarm axle are parallel. I use two bicycle spokes and a cable ties. It is a touchless tool (because of spokes flexibility).

Old 02-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_hawk250 View Post
Modify the seat as shown. I am sick and tired of squeezing my balls on the front of the seat.

I have issues with the seat as well...thinking of shaving the rear portion instead of filling the front...little timid tearing the seat apart but something needs to be done!!!

Old 02-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #9

Great write-up! I have the same LEDs on Q. Very cheap and very bright for their size!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #10

Eliminating annoying vibration sound coming from gas tank when it close to reserve. Turns out, the source of the sound is the key hole cover. The fix is easy. Just make felt insert as shown. Make sure it is slightly smaller than the cower, so the cover's lip will hold it inside. The rubber wouldn't work. Because of higher friction, it would fall out every time you open the cover.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #11

Thumbs Up

good ideas green hawk. i will make up that jig with the stuff i have laying around .
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 02-19-2017, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_hawk250 View Post
Eliminating annoying vibration sound coming from gas tank when it close to reserve. Turns out, the source of the sound is the key hole cover. The fix is easy. Just make felt insert as shown. Make sure it is slightly smaller than the cower, so the cover's lip will hold it inside. The rubber wouldn't work. Because of higher friction, it would fall out every time you open the cover.

i was out in the pasture riding to day and trying to find the location of that rattle! that would of been the last thing i thought of if at all! thanks.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 03-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #13

Installed voltmeter. It is very useful device. It helps to estimate the condition of the battery, or if the regulator or alternator work properly.

Purchased here for $3 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-24V-Car-...oAAOSwNnRYfIKZ

Old 03-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #14

Very Nice. I really like these and thanks for posting them.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:07 PM   #15

Volt meter for every bike it own coming .
Never seen LED ones so cheap.