Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2017, 07:17 AM   #1

RX4 talk

Just saw this post on mychinamoto regarding the RX4. Of course, any time period discussed regarding China and the RX4 will be pushed back somewhat for those whose importers will need to emissions and road certify the bike, but it does give some vague time periods as to when we could possibly see these bikes (later 2018 is my guess and is a time period I think has been discussed before). Also, mentioned by the poster (a European ex-pat in China) is the test ride coming up in a few months, which I am guessing Joe Berk will be on. The person I am writing about goes by the handle 'prince666' and he has some photos. Scroll down to find it.

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...en-450cc/page2

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-15-2017, 10:30 PM   #2

rx4

Ktm390 adv?

I might have the full Monty saved by the time either decides to go up for sale ...rats
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 02-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #3

I wonder if the RX4's looong timeline to release has anything to do with their bikes burning up in the Dakar?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 02-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #4

I imagine it's still ongoing development of the product.(Aka prototype phase) I know all manufacturer in my industry will rush stuff out to compete then will continue development after rollout with retro fits, svc bulletins etc. They always want to delay until the last min possible to weed out all the weakest links. competition always accelerates the process . I'm sure bmw KTM etc don't consider zong competition so mabey zong will sneak this rx4 in as an outstanding product and value as was the rx3 that made the Japanese builders wake up in this segment.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 02-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I wonder if the RX4's looong timeline to release has anything to do with their bikes burning up in the Dakar?
Actually, one bike burned after a crash. Most of the others DNF due to rider issues.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:14 PM   #6

Culcune was just being a little flip as signified by the in his comment. He knows the difference between the rx4 and the 450cc enduro Racer with the expansive frame fuel tank.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:23 PM   #7

I wished, and still wish, that Suzuki will pursue development of the GW250 based V Strom 250. They have certified the GW250 several times via the EPA, and just recently, the GSXR 250 and the V Strom, like the GSXR 250 is GW 250 based. It would have been quite easy for them.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 02-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #8

BB, we tend to forget that others outside our normal little campfire group will read a flippant post and take it as total truth. I'm convinced we are all expecting a quality product from Zongshen. Nevertheless, we constantly face those nay sayers looking for any fault in a China product. I do not want to feed the trolls.

Peter Y.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
BB, we tend to forget that others outside our normal little campfire group will read a flippant post and take it as total truth. I'm convinced we are all expecting a quality product from Zongshen. Nevertheless, we constantly face those nay sayers looking for any fault in a China product. I do not want to feed the trolls.

Peter Y.
Not regarding your post

True... but you now when I sense booshit from some company churning out crap that I have to make the customer "understand" , i get a little annoyed. There has been a few examples over the years in my industry.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:55 PM   #10

I was looking at the verses 300 . 39 hp. Comparable suspensension travel as rx3 and 7 inch clearance. Not the greatest specs but low weight and awesome price of $5400 great value. With lots of tech. Hard to beat for the rx4 to come. See adv pulse http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/20...s-x-300-specs/

Old 02-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #11

Genuine (scooter company) has suffered delay after delay in bringing their ShineRay based 400cc standard motorcycle to market in the US. Getting 50 state emissions certification on a large thumper is getting more difficult and costly.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I wished, and still wish, that Suzuki will pursue development of the GW250 based V Strom 250. They have certified the GW250 several times via the EPA, and just recently, the GSXR 250 and the V Strom, like the GSXR 250 is GW 250 based. It would have been quite easy for them.
I was a bit surprised at the reaction the vstrom 250 got on advrider. I should not have been as that forum seems full of a-holes but I digress. To me these lil 250 adv bikes are great for city driving as well as dirt roads two tracks and fire trails. Expecting them to be dirt bikes is beyond what they were made to do.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshevie View Post
To me these lil 250 adv bikes are great for city driving as well as dirt roads two tracks and fire trails. Expecting them to be dirt bikes is beyond what they were made to do.
....or to be as settled on the open highway as an 1150cc bike.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
Genuine (scooter company) has suffered delay after delay in bringing their ShineRay based 400cc standard motorcycle to market in the US. Getting 50 state emissions certification on a large thumper is getting more difficult and costly.
I have seen the certification on the EPA certification list. It is an Excel (sp?) document, and is kind of primitive, but I did see it. Shineray is the certification holder, not Genuine (I mention that because sometimes the importer pays the certification and becomes the 'manufacturer' as far as the feds are concerned. CSC is the certificate holder for the RX3, not Zongshen, for instance). So, maybe things broke down between Shineray and Genuine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshevie View Post
I was a bit surprised at the reaction the vstrom 250 got on advrider. I should not have been as that forum seems full of a-holes but I digress. To me these lil 250 adv bikes are great for city driving as well as dirt roads two tracks and fire trails. Expecting them to be dirt bikes is beyond what they were made to do.
I take advrider with the proverbial grain of sand. It seems most all of the members with big expensive bikes either blow smoke up everyone's behind, or want to justify spending tens of thousands on the 'latest great bike' so they belittle everyone else's ride. It seems, those not in the above categories as owners of the latest/greatest are wannabes. Think of everride's viewing audience who look up to him, as an example of that.

I tend to view adventure bikes more from the perspective of Horizonsunlimited.com/hubb The members there tend to get out and about, and not all are on the latest/greatest. In fact, many buy 125cc Chinese standards (not even enduros!) and ride all over places like South and Central America.

I remember one guy who had the latest/greatest in Morocco stating how he 'could barely ride some of the sandy roads while locals on 150cc Chinese bikes were passing him left and right...' I think the thread was discussing small displacement bikes for touring, and this guy kind of summed up his experience. He did not seem like he lost his manhood for admitting it either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
....or to be as settled on the open highway as an 1150cc bike.
Which brings it together--as someone who lives on the US/Mexican border who would like to ride one of these months/years into Mexico (I want to start with Baja), I am leaning to practicality over latest/greatest. I have spent a while figuring out which bikes available here, in the US, are available down south. I believe the RX3 and a 250cc V-Strom would be good for what I intend to do, not to mention serve my daily commuting duties. Heck, with Lifan going big in Mexico, I would consider their 200cc enduro...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 02-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #15

I think it will be a difficult decision for CSC and others, as it will cannibalise sales with an amount of risk.

The RX3 was the first big jump for CB bikes; a contemporary little thumper that for the US market is pretty unique. I think a big displacement single...is going to be a challenge to do right.