Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro

Old 06-09-2009, 03:38 AM   #1

Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 CDI Failure at 10,800 Miles

After riding it for 10,800 miles, my Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 experienced its first mechanical failure. To be more precise, it was a failure in the electrical system; the CDI unit failed.

The failure occurred after I had washed the bike, so the diagnosis was not simple. After washing my Zong, the bike started right up, and I went riding for approximately two miles. At that point the engine stopped, and I coasted to the side of the road. The motorcycle would not start, so I walked home (I exercise every day, so the short walk home in fair weather was not a hardship). I hooked my ATV trailer up to my car, and retrieved the Zong.

Since I had just washed the bike, I suspected that water had collected somewhere in the electrical system. I examined the wiring system bundle located behind the headlight fairing; all connections were secure. However, I did find a small amount of green corrosion on the contacts of the white connectors leading to the ignition. I also found a small amount of green corrosion on the contacts of the white connectors that lead to the engine cutoff switch. I cleaned the contacts with WD-40 and a Q-tip swab. The engine would still not start. :(

The Zong's electrical connections behind the headlamp fairing are well designed, and covered by a large rubber boot. However, based upon my experience, I would caution Zong owners to never spray water directly into the instrument cluster. :roll: The water can drip down the wires and enter the backside of the white connectors, causing a small amount of corrosion.

Next, I sprayed WD-40 into the ignition switch. I then waited a while for water to be displaced, or evaporated, from the ignition switch, or any other hidden areas of the electrical system. After waiting several hours, the bike would still not start. :(

Next, I removed the ignition switch from the instrument cluster. I disassembled the switch and found a small amount of green corrosion on the contacts. I cleaned the switch, reassembled it, and reattached it to the motorcycle. The engine would not start. :( In case I forgot to mention it, it is wise never to spray water directly into the instrument cluster. :roll:

Next, I checked for loose connections to the magneto and pickup coil; all connections were secure. Then I checked the connection on the primary lead of the ignition coil; it was secure and dry. I then checked the resistance across the primary and secondary leads of the ignition coil; I obtained the correct resistance values.

Finally, I checked the output of the CDI. The CDI was not sending any voltage to the primary lead of the ignition coil. I switched my digital multimeter to AC voltage, and I checked for voltage coming from the magneto and pickup coil as I cranked the engine. Both the magneto and the pickup coil were sending AC voltage to the CDI. Therefore, I suspected that the CDI unit had failed. I called Manny at Zongshen America, and ordered two CDI units; each unit cost $25.

The CDI unit for the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 is not compatible with the Lifan CDI unit. The Lifan CDI units are designed for Honda clone engines; the Zong CDI unit is designed for a Yamaha clone engine. The engine in the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 is a copy of the Yamaha TW200 engine. However, after some research, I have discovered that the Zong electrical system is slightly different from the Yamaha TW200 electrical system. Therefore, I believe that these two CDI units are not compatible. In any event, the Yamaha TW200 CDI units cost $125 each, five times the cost of the Zong CDI unit!

I did not want to pay for UPS 3-day delivery. Therefore, I received my CDI units eight calendar days after I placed my order. After they arrived, I installed a new CDI unit, and the Zong started right up! I substituted the old CDI unit, and tried to start the bike several times; it would not start. I reinstalled the new CDI; the bike started once again, and it has been running well ever since.

I highly encourage every Zong owner to get one or two spare CDI units. If you have an electrical system failure, you can swap in the new CDI to aid your troubleshooting. Also, if your CDI unit does fail, you will have a spare unit available. Having a spare CDI unit handy will allow you to ride, instead of waiting for a new one to arrive from Miami.

To the best of my knowledge, the Zongshen CDI units are not compatible with any other CDI. Therefore, you need to order them from Zongshen America, or any authorized Zongshen dealer. I am now very glad to have a spare CDI unit handy; I encourage fellow Zong owners to follow the same practice.

Ride Safely!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #2

That sucks spud, glad it is all fixed though and it was nothing major. I will take note and maybe order 2 now just so when and if it ever happens to mine :wink: . Do you think that washing it and getting it wet was directly related to the failure?

Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #3

Well done nice diagnosis and repair, Spud. Nice to know that it's not just us Lifanoid owners with the CDI issues! Of course our's seem to staart a heck of a lot sooner!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRider
That sucks spud, glad it is all fixed though and it was nothing major. I will take note and maybe order 2 now just so when and if it ever happens to mine :wink: . Do you think that washing it and getting it wet was directly related to the failure?
Thanks, Desert. Indeed, I strongly encourage you to have a couple of replacement CDI units on hand!

I am almost 100% sure that I never got the CDI unit wet. However, it might be possible that a wet ignition switch or other wet wiring contributed to the CDI unit's demise. :?:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-09-2009, 11:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Well done nice diagnosis and repair, Spud. Nice to know that it's not just us Lifanoid owners with the CDI issues! Of course our's seem to staart a heck of a lot sooner!
Thank you, Doc! I especially appreciate your compliment as it comes from someone who makes diagnoses for a living.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #6

Re: CDI

I think I've stumbled into the right place. I was looking for a replacement bulb for my Zong Sierra 200, and low and behold I found just the right link here. Thank You.

I'd like to pose a new question since you are an experienced Zong owner & fixer, have you had any problems with the electric starter?? My electric start absolutely refuses to work during the cold winter months. It will barely crank over in the mornings and won't fire at all...it might pop and hiss, but I have to kick start it every time. However, at night after the temps are more pleasant, it'll usually fire right up.

I'm in Phoenix, so when I say "cold" winter mornings it's in the 40's here. So it's not that cold. I also charge the battery once a month; so I know it's not the battery. The crank however in the morning is so bad that the starter will just run down and not crank at all. And it typically will start on the first kick too. Any suggestions???

Thanks for the CDI tip...I will look for a couple right away. I've got about 6500 miles on my Zong Sierra and I love this bike. Maybe it's down on power, but I've only got a short commute to work, so it's perfect. Not to mention that I can fill my tank for around $3. Mine is an '06, orange model and I just repainted it over the Xmas break yellow. (yellow and black paint scheme really looks sharp--plus, I'm a Steeler fan so everything matches now) It's a great little bike.

Thanks for all the nice tips... Oh, I have a link here to chinese parts that I just found if it's helpful to others:
http://www.china-parts.co.uk/acatalog/ZS_200_GY.html

Old 02-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #7

Are you sure the battery is good? A weak battery may work after the engine is warm or in warmer temps. Also double check all the connections.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #8

My money says a weak battery. I've never heard of a starter that only stops turning over in cold weather but works fine when it's warm.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 02-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahamaster
I think I've stumbled into the right place. I was looking for a replacement bulb for my Zong Sierra 200, and low and behold I found just the right link here. Thank You…
You are welcome.
Quote:
…I'd like to pose a new question since you are an experienced Zong owner & fixer, have you had any problems with the electric starter?? My electric start absolutely refuses to work during the cold winter months. It will barely crank over in the mornings and won't fire at all...it might pop and hiss, but I have to kick start it every time. However, at night after the temps are more pleasant, it'll usually fire right up.

I'm in Phoenix, so when I say "cold" winter mornings it's in the 40's here…
No, I have not had problems with the electric starter on my Zong. My bike starts easily in much colder temperatures. I am inclined to agree with Allen, and Frostbite; it sounds as if your battery is weak.
Quote:
…Thanks for the CDI tip...I will look for a couple right away…
It’s a good idea to have an extra Zong CDI on hand; several of the CDI units have failed. It’s nice to have a replacement handy, so you can plug in the new CDI and go riding, instead of waiting for a replacement to arrive. Also, an extra CDI helps a great deal with troubleshooting ignition problems.
Quote:
…I've got about 6500 miles on my Zong Sierra and I love this bike. Maybe it's down on power, but I've only got a short commute to work, so it's perfect. Not to mention that I can fill my tank for around $3…
The Zong is a great little motorcycle. However, you can definitely get more pep from this engine. The least expensive way to get better performance is to switch to a 13-tooth, or 14-tooth countershaft sprocket. You can also get better performance by ditching the heavy, highly restrictive muffler, and substituing an FMF Turbine Core 2 spark arrestor. Also, if you have not done so, I strongly encourage you to check the valve clearance. Tight valves can not only damage your engine; they can also lower engine compression, and make your bike harder to start.
Quote:
…Mine is an '06, orange model and I just repainted it over the Xmas break yellow. (yellow and black paint scheme really looks sharp--plus, I'm a Steeler fan so everything matches now)…
I can tell you are a fine, intelligent gentleman, DaHa. Not only do you own a Zong, but you are also a Steelers fan! If you get the time, please do post some photos of your repainted Zong; we love photos!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #10

Quote:
...Thanks for all the nice tips... Oh, I have a link here to chinese parts that I just found if it's helpful to others:
http://www.china-parts.co.uk/acatalog/ZS_200_GY.html
Thank you for the parts link, DaHa; it is interesting to see Zong parts being sold by a vendor in the U.K. However, I believe you will get much better prices, and lower shipping charges, if you purchase your parts from Zongshen America, or Phil.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #11

Re: CDI Failure...

Thanks for the replies gents. The consensus seems to be the battery. I've already replaced the battery with a YAUSA YB-7 (lead acid), late last summer when I started having problems. That hasn't fixed the problem...and I charge the battery once a month. Even with a fresh charge it won't start in the mornings. Once it's fired up and the engine is warm, I can restart it with the starter (for ex. if the engine dies at a stop light-which it does alot on a cold engine). But once the engine is warmed up, I don't have any problems with the starter. If it was the starter, I'd think it would be consistent?

Can you suggest a better, heavy duty battery? (YUASA doesn't make a gel battery replacement for the YB7) I'm not a mechanic and I don't know how to diagnose electrical problems. I can try another battery.

I did have a big problem starting the bike after it had sat in Grandpa's garage for two weeks while I drove my truck. The bike started right up but only ran for about 15 seconds. Then it would not start at all-even kicking. It was a bear, but I finally got it to fire and it got me home. And then it was fine the next morning...started up on the first kick. I don't know...I'm not a mechanic, so everything is just a guess.

That's also a super nice mod with the XT225 swingarm! Wow. You guys really know what you're doin'. That's a major task.

Here's my bike with its new paint scheme [was orange] which I did myself on Xmas weekend-I'm really impressed with how it came out...darn near perfect. No runs, no drips, no errors as Krylon used to say. Yellow really looks sharp.

The only other mods that I could do (within my ability) are the additional Baja lights on the front (a MUST for night riding but really drain the battery--maybe that's my problem???) and the milk crate basket (which is the perfect luggage carrier) And there's even room for my tool bag and rain gear bag which are both attached with caribeaner clips. (the only casualties were the tank graphics...no way I could mask those out to save 'em)

Old 02-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #12

You may want to purchase one of those float chargers to maintain the battery.

My only other suggestion is that you may have a bad connection in the starting circuit. Or maybe a weak solenoid. The engine is more difficult to turn in cold weather so a connection could cause a problem.

Allen

Old 02-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #13

Quote:
...Can you suggest a better, heavy duty battery? (YUASA doesn't make a gel battery replacement for the YB7) I'm not a mechanic and I don't know how to diagnose electrical problems. I can try another battery…
Since the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 is a close copy of the Yamaha TW200, you can learn a lot by searching the TW200 forum. For example, here is an interesting thread concerning battery choices for the Zong/TW200.

http://tw200forum.com/forums/19632/ShowPost.aspx

Quote:
...I did have a big problem starting the bike after it had sat in Grandpa's garage for two weeks while I drove my truck. The bike started right up but only ran for about 15 seconds. Then it would not start at all-even kicking. It was a bear, but I finally got it to fire and it got me home. And then it was fine the next morning...started up on the first kick. I don't know...I'm not a mechanic, so everything is just a guess…
I suspect the CDI unit might be ready to fail. I encourage you to get one, or two, spare CDI units as quickly as you can, then substitute a new CDI, and see if it solves the problem. My Zong idled erratically, and exhibited occasional starting problems before it failed. It is also very nice to have a spare CDI unit available purely for troubleshooting purposes.
Quote:
...That's also a super nice mod with the XT225 swingarm! Wow. You guys really know what you're doin'. That's a major task…
Thank you. I was very fortunate to have my good friend Andy, a professional mechanic, design, fabricate, and weld the lower shock mount assembly to my bike’s frame.
Quote:
...Here's my bike with its new paint scheme [was orange] which I did myself on Xmas weekend-I'm really impressed with how it came out...darn near perfect. No runs, no drips, no errors as Krylon used to say. Yellow really looks sharp…
Thank you for posting the photos, Daha. Indeed, your bike looks great! Please tell me, what paint did you use? Also, how did you prepare the plastic for painting? I repainted my Zong with Krylon Fusion, and Valspar spray paints.

Quote:
...The only other mods that I could do (within my ability) are the additional Baja lights on the front (a MUST for night riding but really drain the battery--maybe that's my problem???)…
The Baja lights look great; I bet they really help illuminate the roadway at night! However, as you suspect, they might be draining your battery. I think Allen has a good idea concerning the float charger.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #14

i saw your bike before i read your comments and thought how did he get a yellow one. looks nice you did a good job. i may paint my black zong when i finally spend the money for a bigger tank. check out spudrider's big tank.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #15

Re: CDI Failure...

Lots of good suggestions. Let me try the CDI first and see what it does and then go from there.

I used Krylon's Fusion spray paint. Only prep I did with the plastic was to remove all the decals (except the three little black stripes on the side covers-I was able to mask those out) and rub the plastic down with a small amount of Coleman's white gas to try and get some of the grime off. That's it. I applied two coats of paint over two days...it dries super fast. And put 'er back together in about an hour and that's was it. Didn't have any trouble with the paint at all...sticks really well to the plastic. Once it's dry you can not tell that the plastic has been painted--it looks like the factory colored plastic. Just have to be careful at the gas station during fill-up.

I didn't even think about a Baja tank for it...that might be a good mod in the future. The Baja lights are great and a must have at night. Big difference over just running the headlight. They're supposed to be for off-road use only, but I adjusted them down so it's not too blinding for other drivers. (only problem is they are a huge drain on the battery)