Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2009, 02:55 AM   #46

It's all business Yozalo. There is an opportunity to make a little profit at every stage of the game.

BTW, I won the Pit Bike exhaust for $2.00 (I think). I had to buy one and install it before Pete got wise and bought them all. Either him or waynev.

The Pit Bike exhaust is aluminum at the inlet and outlet, so you can't weld steel to it. What you can do is weld a stepped pipe onto your stock pipe so it will slip into the Pit Bike exhaust. The outside diamter of your pipe will need to be about 1 1/8".

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-14-2009, 03:07 AM   #47

Nope, must have been waynev. I bought all those Monster pipes after I saw the comparison you did.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:32 AM   #48

Ok, much to report.

I decided to remove the intake tube and carb rather than hope to find a vaccuum leak. TurboT, call your Dad and tell him he's the King. The reason for the leak is that the groove for the o-ring (where the intake tube meets the head) is too deep.

This shot sorta shows how deep the groove really is.

I tried another o-ring from my kit, but it still wasn't quite proud enough. Instead, I stretched a small o-ring into the groove and then placed the stocker overtop.

Here's what it looks like stacked.

It took a bit of coercion to get the o-ring to sit still while I mounted the tube, but it was worth it. There was obvious compression in the o-ring as it was tightened.

Next, I replaced the pilot jet with a 22.5 (vs. the stock 20).

For those who've never removed one, here's where it goes.

Next up was the new 110 main jet (vs. the stock 100, which I had drilled out to 104).

Here's how it's installed.

I also farted around with the insulator that fits between the carb and the intake tube, thinking I might be able to remove it due to the Mikuni o-ring. Nope. Check out the mismatch without the insulator.

It's not perfect with the insulator, but it is better.

Then I investigated why there is an annoying exhaust leak at the head pipe. Guess what? No gasket. Good thing I have some in stock, eh T?

I also noticed how much the welding in the head pipe restricts flow.

So, I ported it. It's hard to tell from this photo, but the exhaust no longer necks down to less than the head pipe ID. This is also before I shook the grinding crap out.

I also swapped the front shocks for the new black spring nitrogen shocks. Before bolting in the new shocks, I studied the range of motion of the spindle. With the shock installed in the lowest hole and suspension at full droop, the spindle is on the leading edge of bumpsteer. With the quad on the ground and a rider onboard, it should be at the perfect starting point. Take care to not use the upper mounting hole.

The spindle can travel a full 3.5" upward before entering bumpsteer territory. Since the nitrogen shock only has a (theoretical) range of 3" until it hits the bumpstop, it's a good choice.

I couldn't hardly compress the stock shocks by hand on the floor at all. The nitrogen shocks compress much more easily, and there is obvious damping on the rebound.

After getting it all back together, I hit the key and it fired right up. The vaccuum leak seems to be gone. I couldn't let it warm up because it was too late to make that much noise.

Lots of progress tonight. I love coffee.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-14-2009, 04:09 AM   #49

Good grief D!

You've been busy! I was going to PM you tonight to tell you not to kill yourself with that thing, that I could come tomorrow and wrench on it. Looks like there's not much more to do.

I would mention my Dad is the King's Advisor, since he's sitting in his basement in his big chair while you do all the work, Your Highness.

Those are some great shots too. Excellent tech data and advice for the DIY types who haven't done much of that stuff.

Now I'm dying to come play with it.

Thanks for the great post and all the effort. I'm going to have to buy you lunch and beer.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #50

Nicely done.

Love the pics of the carb. Very useful, thanks.

Now with all this jetting business done, go beat the snot out of it please and tell us how it responded to the jetting change and whether the vac leak was the culprit, re: hunting idle.

I spent most of the evening puttering around & fixing up a multitude of small stuff (adjust shocks, change oil, build new battery cage, change oil on mini, install NGK wire & plug on mini, replace 2 of 3 nuts on beast tailight mount, re-route choke cable on beast, etc....little crap that needed doing) I'd come in every 20 minutes to warm up and post

Old 11-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #51

I'd love to go beat on it. It's liberating to chop / cut / rebuild a quad when you don't own a bolt in it.

Once I get the exhaust back on, I'll fire it up and see how the idle is. I'm expecting much better performance.

On the warming up comment: I wear nitrile gloves in the shop, and it's like having a wetsuit on your hands. They allow for decent dexterity as well, certainly enough that I can replace carb jets. My hands are toasty the entire time (granted, it wasn't much below zero here last night, but still). I even slip a pair on before putting on winter gloves to go shovel snow. Works like a charm after about 10-15 minutes.

On another note, I didn't do any empirical testing of the old shocks vs. nitrogen shocks because I couldn't secure them in my press. I want to be able to press them safely, so I don't get dead. My next welding project will be to make a fixture that will accept one end of the shock and hold it firmly while I operate the press. Should be handy for shock mods.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #52

Is it liberating to chop and cut something you don't own, or beat on something you don't own?

You have a significant time investment re ownership there. I share. Use it whenever you want. I'm confident if anything breaks it'd be looked after anyhow.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I'd love to go beat on it. It's liberating to chop / cut / rebuild a quad when you don't own a bolt in it.

Once I get the exhaust back on, I'll fire it up and see how the idle is. I'm expecting much better performance.

On the warming up comment: I wear nitrile gloves in the shop, and it's like having a wetsuit on your hands. They allow for decent dexterity as well, certainly enough that I can replace carb jets. My hands are toasty the entire time (granted, it wasn't much below zero here last night, but still). I even slip a pair on before putting on winter gloves to go shovel snow. Works like a charm after about 10-15 minutes.

On another note, I didn't do any empirical testing of the old shocks vs. nitrogen shocks because I couldn't secure them in my press. I want to be able to press them safely, so I don't get dead. My next welding project will be to make a fixture that will accept one end of the shock and hold it firmly while I operate the press. Should be handy for shock mods.
Yeah, I'm always cautious around em as well. Pretty easy to catch one in the face and spit out a mouthful of chiclets.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Is it liberating to chop and cut something you don't own, or beat on something you don't own?
Yes.

Quote:
You have a significant time investment re ownership there. I share. Use it whenever you want. I'm confident if anything breaks it'd be looked after anyhow.
Thanks man. If it's cool with you, I'd like to take Luke for a ride some day. BTW, the tires with new tubes are mounted on the quad.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
Yeah, I'm always cautious around em as well. Pretty easy to catch one in the face and spit out a mouthful of chiclets.
Been there. Didn't like it. Made me sad.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:57 AM   #56

wow i never thout the exhaust was that bad

Old 11-15-2009, 02:03 AM   #57

That must have been the stock head pipe? On the performance one that ships with the beast performance muffler I didnt see anything near that bad, but maybe I got lucky for once.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:17 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
That must have been the stock head pipe? On the performance one that ships with the beast performance muffler I didnt see anything near that bad, but maybe I got lucky for once.
What did I miss here?? :?

Old 11-15-2009, 02:48 AM   #59

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
What did I miss here?? :?
The porting of the stock head pipe. The collar that is attached to the head pipe was welded on internally, so the weld bead impedes flow. Or, it used to.

Yes Pete, that was the stock pipe that I attached the Pit Bike exhaust to. Funny that the Beast performance pipe didn't need porting, because the Monster performance pipe sure did.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:29 AM   #60

Duh I was still on the shock and chicklets bit.. get it now..