Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #1

Zongshen 200GY-2: Custom, 18-inch Rear Wheel

The Zongshen 200GY-2 is a great little supermoto. The Zong would also be a capable trail bike, except for its unconventional wheel sizes. :( In particular, it is very difficult, and expensive, to find a knobby tire for the stock, size 2.75x15, rear wheel. Fortunately, you can solve this problem by lacing an 18-inch rim to the Zong’s rear hub. I just completed building such a wheel for another Zong owner.

The first step in building a custom wheel is acquiring the proper spokes. If you send two sample spokes to Buchanan’s Spoke & Rim, they will create a custom spoke set for $80, plus shipping.

http://www.buchananspokes.net/catego...spoke_sets.asp

Below is a photograph of the custom spokes I purchased from Buchanan’s; the stock spokes are marked with masking tape.

The custom spokes are stainless steel, and much thicker than the original spokes. Buchanan spokes are very high quality, and not much more expensive than the price you would pay for many factory spoke sets.

After lacing the Buchanan spokes to a Zongshen rear hub and size 2.15x18 rim, I trued the new wheel for radial, and lateral roundness. I am pleased to report the Buchanan spokes produced a very strong, attractive wheel.

If you are having problems acquiring a Kingstone, size 130/90-15, dual sport tire for you Zong, I encourage you to build a custom, 18-inch rear wheel! If you order the spokes from Buchanan’s, you can get a local motorcycle shop to build the new wheel using your stock rear hub. If you can’t find a local shop to do the job, I will be happy to build a custom rear wheel for you, myself.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #2

I gotta ask... Isn't it a lot of work to lace up a wheel? Do you have to use dial gauges to get it true both ways? I think it is very gracious of you to offer to build other members wheels, not many people like that left in this old world!

P.S. The new wheel looks awesome!

Old 03-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
I gotta ask... Isn't it a lot of work to lace up a wheel?...
Yes, it does require knowledge, and time, to build a custom wheel. However, as I have proven, it is not beyond the capabilities of the average person.
Quote:
…Do you have to use dial gauges to get it true both ways?…
No, you don’t need to employ a dial indicator to true a motorcycle wheel. I used a wheel truing stand manufactured by Park Tools to true this custom wheel.

http://www.parktool.com/motorcycle/d...79&item=TS--7M

Quote:
…I think it is very gracious of you to offer to build other members wheels, not many people like that left in this old world! …
I have discovered I enjoy building custom motorcycle wheels. Therefore, if someone can’t find a local shop to build a wheel for them, I am happy to do the job myself, for a modest cost. I did not intend to imply I would build the custom wheel for free.

The Cult of the Zong is a close fraternity. I enjoy being able to help my fellow Zongites.
Quote:
…P.S. The new wheel looks awesome!
Thank you, Stew.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #4

I just laced up front and rear Warp 9 rims with Buchanans spokes. The high quality spokes are well worth the money and the company is extremely easy to work with, However, I have reached a problem...

The rear laced up nice and tight (not trued yet) but the 21" front didn't lace up so well. I have the nipples tightened flush with the spokes and it is no where close to being tight. I think I may have received the wrong spokes... Or, I need to re-check my lace pattern but I'm sure its right as I have a second Zong to look at.

Any advice?

Old 03-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgun
I just laced up front and rear Warp 9 rims with Buchanans spokes. The high quality spokes are well worth the money and the company is extremely easy to work with, However, I have reached a problem...

The rear laced up nice and tight (not trued yet) but the 21" front didn't lace up so well. I have the nipples tightened flush with the spokes and it is no where close to being tight. I think I may have received the wrong spokes... Or, I need to re-check my lace pattern but I'm sure its right as I have a second Zong to look at.

Any advice?
What size rims did you use?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-13-2010, 11:20 PM   #6

Warp 9 - 21x1.60 Front and 18x2.15 rear.....

Old 03-13-2010, 11:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Warp 9 - 21x1.60 Front and 18x2.15 rear.....
If you have time, please post a photograph of your front wheel. I would like to examine your lacing pattern.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #8

It is very possible to miss on the lacing pattern. I did a wheel wrong and things didn't work right.

Allen

Old 03-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #9

It couldn't be the guy that has never laced a wheel... it has to be the company that has been in the spoke/wheel business for decades right?!!!!!! Yes, I miss laced the front however, it is now done right. I mounted up cheng shin tires using rim locks and Kenda "tuff tubes". I installed the PBI 12T counter-sprocket and performed a crank case cover modification. I plan on painting the plastic here before I get it on the road. I'll be taking it on a test ride here when she's all buttoned up. Here are a couple crappy pictures of the wheels, I'll get the finished product after the paint.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #10

Git 'er done!

That's American know-how on a Chinabike for sure. 8)

Old 03-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #11

Good work, and good attitude.

Two Zongs? Wow. (green with envy)

Are those aluminum rims?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #12

Thanks,

They are alluminum WARP 9's that Spud pointed me towards, pretty fair price for excellent rims.

I was going to buy myself a new enduro but I decided to buy the two zong's so I could teach my wife to ride. This way we are both running equal cc's and its something we can enjoy in our spare time. So far she has enjoyed it but we haven't had too much time to ride together, She's due in June!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:19 AM   #13

Quote:
It couldn't be the guy that has never laced a wheel... it has to be the company that has been in the spoke/wheel business for decades right?!!!!!! Yes, I miss laced the front however, it is now done right. I mounted up cheng shin tires using rim locks and Kenda "tuff tubes". I installed the PBI 12T counter-sprocket and performed a crank case cover modification. I plan on painting the plastic here before I get it on the road. I'll be taking it on a test ride here when she's all buttoned up. Here are a couple crappy pictures of the wheels, I'll get the finished product after the paint.

Thank you for sending links to your photographs; you did an excellent job, Showgun! You were wise to install the 12-tooth, countershaft sprocket with the 18-inch, rear wheel; a larger sprocket will gear the bike too high with the bigger wheel. You were even wiser to perform the left crankcase cover modification at the same time! I also think it is very prudent to paint the bikes right now; the Zong looks much nicer with a new coat of Krylon Fusion! You are well advanced in Spudifying your new Zongs!

Two new Zongites are better than one! Always remember, "the family that Zongs together, belongs together!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-16-2010, 01:22 AM   #14

I packaged the custom, 18-inch rear wheel on Sunday. I will probably ship it to its new owner in the next few days.

The weather today was beautiful, so I took an 80-mile ride on my Zong. In the photographs below, you can see my custom, 21-inch front wheel. I laced a Warp 9 rim to my Zong’s front hub with Lifan spokes. I have a Yamaha, XT225 rear wheel mounted in my XT225 swingarm.

I have a new, size 2.15x18, Warp 9 rim sitting unused at home; however, I can’t decide whether to lace it to my supermoto, 18-inch, front wheel, or one of my Yamaha, XT225 rear wheels.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #15

Quote:
So far she has enjoyed it but we haven't had too much time to ride together, She's due in June!
Congratulations! By the 40th week, she'll be happy to get on the Zong to try and bring on contractions.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer