Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #1

Qlink XP 200 Battery

Hi all! Im having some issues with my XP and was hoping some of the knowledgeable members of chinariders could help me out! So here the situation, I drove my Qlink to work a couple weeks ago with no trouble as usual. When i went to leave several hours later, my electric start wouldnt work, and i was getting no lights or indication of power of any kind. I assumed I had left my headlights on or something of that nature so I kickstarted the XP up, and got it running although it was choppy and the headlights were weak. Now here is the weird part, after letting it run for about 30 minutes with no change I killed it and kickstarted it again and it started running fine! About 6 minutes later it started running choppy again. I brought it to the dealer ( still under warranty only about 250 miles on the bike) and they seem to think its the battery. Does this sound right? Thanks for all the help!

Old 08-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #2

It sounds like the battery. Many of these bikes have been sitting for a long time prior to sale and the batterys are subject to sulfation which can short a cell and cause what you've experianced. Have the Q people get you a new battery and you should be good to go.

Keep us informed!

Old 08-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #3

Might also be a loose conection at the battery or ground. Weak lights pretty much sounds like a bad battery though. Im sure the dealer will sort it out quickly for you.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #4

If the bike is running choppy, and the battery is dead, you might also have a bad stator.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #5

Thanks for all the great responses! Well the status update at this point is I am about ready to go pick up my bike from the dealer and just take it elsewhere. So far have had nothing but bad experiences with this guy. I brought my bike to the dealer where I bought the bike, and told them the the problems I was having. Several days after that I got a call from them telling me they thought it was battery and quoting me a price of $80 dollars on it. (Ive had the bike longer than 30 days so warranty didn't cover it) Ive since heard absolutely nothing from them. I have called several times and gotten put on hold for 20 minutes, and once just pawned off on different people for about an hour. At first i thought it was a coincidence but now I am pretty sure the dealers just trying to give me the runaround. I also learned i could get the battery from Qlink themselves for about $30 less then he quoted me! The Dealer is JMR powersports in Hyannis MA and buyer beware fellow chinariders this guy is a snake.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #6

I thought the QLink XP200 came with a 2-year warranty? 8O Any reputable dealer should certainly replace a battery that fails after 30 days! :x Thank you for posting the warning.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-07-2010, 12:39 AM   #7

try a autozone or some auto parts store like that, even walmart stocks motorcycle, atv, dirt bike, and pcw batteries..

i got mine from autozone and a spare case of battery acid for about 6 bucks..

Old 08-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #8

Well to answer your question Spud Qlink, has a selective one year policy. Things that they deem "wear and tear" parts are not covered. This covers the most obvious things, brakes, tires, ect. but also some unexpected things like throttle cables are not covered! Battery come with a 30 day warranty, and after that your out of luck. (Even if your bike only has 150 mi apparently :x

Old 08-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #9

Is it running now?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #10

Yes! I got my bike back from the dealer today. In the end it cost me a grand total of $130 dollars because they charged me an outrageous about of labor to put it in! (About 6 hours too replace the battery.) I got snowed, and its infuriating but one of life's lessons I suppose :roll: The bike seems to be running great as of now so lets hope it stays that way! Also a question for the more experienced china riders, the dealer tried to tell me it was my fault that the battery failed, and that if you do not immediately put you battery on a charger as soon as you get off the bike the battery will die! I was under the assumption if you started it a couple times a month you should be fine, and only long term sitting would kill the battery. Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but the Q is my first bike after all

Old 08-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowofDeath7
Yes! I got my bike back from the dealer today. In the end it cost me a grand total of $130 dollars because they charged me an outrageous about of labor to put it in! (About 6 hours too replace the battery.) I got snowed, and its infuriating but one of life's lessons I suppose :roll: The bike seems to be running great as of now so lets hope it stays that way! Also a question for the more experienced china riders, the dealer tried to tell me it was my fault that the battery failed, and that if you do not immediately put you battery on a charger as soon as you get off the bike the battery will die! I was under the assumption if you started it a couple times a month you should be fine, and only long term sitting would kill the battery. Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but the Q is my first bike after all
Your dealer is an ass.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Your dealer is an ass.
X2! He shouldn't have charged you anything for installing the battery! :x

Spud :x

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-11-2010, 12:58 AM   #13

6 hours to install a battery, unless you have to pull the motor, unbolt the frame, kill a virgin and burn her as a gift to the motor bike gods, and then put it all back together. 6 hours is stupid crazy time to put in a battery..

you really should have raised hell about that. or atleast just bought the battery else and did the install your self.. ive pulled car motors that took 2 hours to get out and 2 hours to get put back in.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:04 AM   #14

To respond to your question, starting the bike a couple of times a month should be sufficient.

That said, a battery tender at HF is less than $10.00. Just hook it up when you're not using the bike, and it will keep the battery topped up.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-11-2010, 03:32 AM   #15

i think i paid 30 at autozone for my maintainer

if you keep ur stuff in a garage a maintainer is awsome to have.. most people hook them up at the start of winter and leave them plugged in till riding season..

sadly my quad is outside in the back yard so i cant leave it plugged in, and if i dont run it a few times a week it takes about 4 days for it go dead..

same battery that was in it when i got it and it completely dead.. put in new acid and got it to charge.. but im cheap and dont want to shell out the 30 to 50 bucks for a new battery..