Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #16

http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/mo...s/GRIPPUP.html

SMALL Grip Puppies (1 Pair) - For bikes with 7/8" bars, which typically includes most sport, sport touring, and dual purpose motorcycles.
These are covers that slip over your existing grips.

$9.80
GRIP PUPPIES â„¢ Small. (1 Pair) Pick First Class Mail for Free Shipping.

Spud,
I think they do reduce the vibrations felt in your hands. I have them on all my motorcycles plus my hybrid street/mountain bicycle.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycles/GRIPPUP.html

SMALL Grip Puppies (1 Pair) - For bikes with 7/8" bars, which typically includes most sport, sport touring, and dual purpose motorcycles.
These are covers that slip over your existing grips.

$9.80
GRIP PUPPIES â„¢ Small. (1 Pair) Pick First Class Mail for Free Shipping.

Spud,
I think they do reduce the vibrations felt in your hands. I have them on all my motorcycles plus my hybrid street/mountain bicycle.
Thank you for the good review, and the web link, Bar. I imagine you need to cut the Grip Puppies off if you wish to remove them; am I correct? :?:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #18

Spud,
When you install them use lots of liquid detergent as the directions recommend. Plus I had to cut them to length like the instructions suggest.
I also use a blunt object like a popsicle stick to insert under the Grip Puppy to help ease them on.

I never have removed them but maybe an air gun or blunt screw driver inserted under them might work like it does on regular grips.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:53 PM   #19

It may be just me but I really like Q's skinny grips. Those look like they would be nice if you have especially big hands, though.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #20

I like small fingered doctors.

FastDoc,
I have double xl hands but luckily for me both my female doctors have small fingers.
Riders with smaller hands wearing good gloves probably will not fit or like Grip Puppies.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #21

I implemented the suggestion from someone on this forum (sorry but can't remember who) to solve the problem with the lack of a trip meter on the XF200. It's a combination trip meter/disk lock now showing 0453 KMs since last fill up. Now I need to find some ribbon to tie from the lock to the handle bars to remind me to remove it when it is used as a disk lock.

My shoulders are too wide to allow me to use the stock mirrors. So I ordered a set of bar end mirrors (Ebay ) to get around the problem and I am tickle to death with the results.

I cut the end out of the left side grip by just sticking a knife in and following the inside of the handle bar. Then I inserted the mount into the end of the handlebars and tightened it up. Adjusting the mirror took a few tries but now I have a good view of what's behind me.

This is the first time that I have used a bar end mirror and I am very happy with the rear view. Weird feeling not having mirrors sticking up on the front of the bike. Cleans it up for the boy racer look.

I just needed one mirror to get a good view so I saved the other one in case I drop the bike.

Probably wouldn't want to do this on your bike that you ride in the dirt if you tend to drop it like I do.

Another advantage of the mod is that they also acts as a bar end weight to maybe reduce some vibration in the handle bars.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #22

Wild Alaskan had the lock idea. I love it. I will do the same thing next time I'm at the hardware store and I remember.

For fun you may want a REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT streamer. they come in many sizes.

www.sportys.com

The mirror looks great, but I would want two. I'd think you'd have to amputate the end of the throttle sleeve in addition to the grip to fit it, however.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #23

FastDoc,
Well, thanks to WA for keeping me from running out of gas.

I like the "Remove Before Flight" idea.

I felt the capped end on the throttle side so I decided to try the left side first.
Try it with one left side mirror and you might be surprised. I sure was.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #24

Dude, I got run over from behind already 54 weeks ago. I am all about 'checking my 6' :!:

Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Dude, I got run over from behind already 54 weeks ago. I am all about 'checking my 6' :!:
Indeed! It is especially important to watch behind you when riding a 200cc bike that cannot easily accelerate away from trouble. Of course, regardless of one's mirror selections, riding the secondary roads in sparsely populated areas will significantly increase your safety.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-09-2010, 01:34 AM   #26

Thanks for showing us WA's lock idea in action. We have the same lock on our gate, except is has letters that are easy for the kids to remember.

The bar end mirror looks great. 8)

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #27

I pulled off the air injection pump today. I have an after market muffler that does not have a catalytic converter like the stock one does so I don't have any ideal what will happen if you do this mod with the stock muffler.
In other words, your results might be different.

When I got back from my test ride the bike didn't smell like burnt paint so I think it is running cooler without the air injection.

I kept the charcoal cannister in place. The problem with removing it is there is a vent line under the tank that goes to the charcoal filter. If you plug that hole then there is no vent for the tank. The charcoal filter doesn't hurt any thing.

Steps in removing the air injection pump.

!. Pull side covers and take seat off. Unbolted tank, shut off fuel, disconnected fuel line, raise and blockup rear of tank. Take a minute to look at the hoses coming off the air pump and where they go.

2.There is a y fitting in front of the carb that supplies vacuum to the air pump and charcoal cannister. Remove the y fitting and plug the hose from the charcoal cannister directly to the fitting in front of the carb.

3.There is a bigger hose that goes to another y fitting that has one hose going to the air box, one hose to the charcoal cannister, and one hose to the air pump. Remove the hose that goes to the air pump and plug the hole in the y fitting.

4. Now go to the air pump and remove the bolt that holds it to the frame,
then remove the two bolts that holds the chrome pipe to he front of the engine. Snake the hoses and chrome pipe out. Al that can reinstalled at a later date if need be.

5. Use the chrome pipe end as a pattern to make a plate out of say 1/8"aluminum to block the hole in the front of the engine. My original gasket stayed on the engine. I painted the plate black to hide it. Bolt the plate on using the original bolts.

6. Reinstall tank and fuel line to carb. Install side covers and seat. Open fuel petcock and check for leaks. Take a test ride. Done.

Also added a fuel filter and a bigger foot on the side stand.

In case you haven't seen it, take a look at these dyno runs.
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?104933-My-XF200(update-with-dyno-results)&highlight=xf200

Old 11-10-2010, 01:48 AM   #28

Thanks for the update. Got pics? I imagine that you'll be watching the plug closely after removing the smog stuff; not sure how timing is altered at the factory to compensate for it.

I have seen that dyno pull before, but I hadn't read the forum page that lead up to it. Thanks for the link. 8)

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-10-2010, 01:52 AM   #29

Thank you for the detailed update, Bar! If you had time to take photographs, please do post them; we would love to see your work.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Thanks for the update. Got pics? I imagine that you'll be watching the plug closely after removing the smog stuff; not sure how timing is altered at the factory to compensate for it.

I have seen that dyno pull before, but I hadn't read the forum page that lead up to it. Thanks for the link. 8)
He got 20HP out of the XF on his dyno. WOW

I don't see how removing the secondary air injection (air pump or SAI)would effect the air/fuel ratio in the combustion chamber since it is down stream of the cylinder in the exhaust port. I've been checking the plug because of the less restricted muffler. Going this morning to see if I can find the larger jets at a local shop. Beautiful day for a ride. Will take some photos when I get back.

In the mean time....

I seen pictures of some of the earlier XF/XPs that had the air injection in the head pipe.

Finally found one of the sites where I got educated on the SAI removal for the XF/XP.
http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?499-Exhaust-can-for-Qingqi-QM200GY-(aka-Qlink-etc)/page5&highlight=qlink

That link has a list of some of the different names for the bike.

Following are photos from that site.

What was removed.

Plate to block SAI port in engine.

Plate in place. I used 1/8" aluminum and pained it black.

I've removed the air injection system on other bikes including two Kawasaki W650s and several late carb model Triumph Bonnevilles with no change in plug color. Removing the air injection system on the Triumphs really reduced the bluing of the head pipes so they ran cooler.