Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #1

Qlink XF200 Battery Failure

Hey,
You guys jinxed the battery in my XF200 with all your battery troubles.

I went to ride her because it was her turn in the rotation and she lite up the headlight for a second or two and then nothing. Would not crank a bit with the e start but no problem right? Wrong, I started her with the kick starter but she would just idle with a bad battery. Would not rev so could not be ridden.

Anyway, I pulled the battery out and went to Batteries Plus to get a replacement but no dice.
Out of twenty or so batteries none were the right size. Well I'll try WalMart before I hit the internet and got lucky with one that fit without the rubber boot. It was a tight fit but good to go.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #2

So far mine's been good!....but one never knows. I don't trust ANY stock batteries in ANY bikes I've ever owned.
Better go shopping at Walmart myself....just in case.
If you locate one there Barnone, please post the part#!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-19-2011, 12:13 AM   #3

The batteries are all old, and Chinese. :wink:

I ordered one for a DR200SE and it was perfect.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:39 AM   #4

I'm sorry to hear of your battery trouble, Vince. :? Although they are more expensive, the Shorai batteries are also an excellent choice; however, I think they might still be backordered. :roll:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-19-2011, 01:50 AM   #5

I'm amazed that the batteries in our atv's (2007 and 2008) still work. The 200 really relies on a good battery, since there's no kick start.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-19-2011, 01:54 AM   #6

My Zong came equipped with a new, Yuasa battery. I installed the battery acid as I assembled the bike, and the motorcycle started right up after I put some gasoline in the fuel tank. The Yuasa battery did an excellent job for several years before I needed to replace it with a Motocross/Yuasa YTZ7S battery.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ
So far mine's been good!....but one never knows. I don't trust ANY stock batteries in ANY bikes I've ever owned.
Better go shopping at Walmart myself....just in case.
If you locate one there Barnone, please post the part#!
My battery was good until Monday and then immediate failure.

The battery that I bought at Walmart and installed in my Qlink XF200 is a Everstart ES9BS sealed battery for $45.00 plus tax.

It is a tight fit.

It is made in China.

The battery in my 2005 Yamaha XT225 that I have had since almost new is still original. The bike has been sitting in NC for the winter for the last two years with no charger on it and she fires right up. Don't know what brand since I have never had it out of the bike.

Surprised that no one mentioned my experience with the kick starter. Started with the dead battery but she did not not rev up so the Q was not ridable!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
Surprised that no one mentioned my experience with the kick starter. Started with the dead battery but she did not not rev up so the Q was not ridable!
I was wondering about this. I would think since it has a kicker, that it should be able to run without a battery. If not, what's the point of the kick start?

Once it is running, the alternator or magneto or whatever it has should provide enough juice to keep it running, otherwise you would always be draining the battery. Any thoughts on why it wouldn't run? Does the battery act as a voltage sink and regulator?

Old 05-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #9

You need a healthy battery to run a modern street bike, because the magneto can't provide enough power for spark and the always-on headlight. On my atv, I can run with a virtually dead battery, because I can switch the headlight off.

Many years ago, I had an XS650 Special, and I couldn't even kickstart it if the battery was dead. It needed close to nominal voltage in order to start. I regard the kickstart to be a backup in case the solenoid or starter fails, not in case the battery dies.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
You need a healthy battery to run a modern street bike, because the magneto can't provide enough power for spark and the always-on headlight. On my atv, I can run with a virtually dead battery, because I can switch the headlight off.

Many years ago, I had an XS650 Special, and I couldn't even kickstart it if the battery was dead. It needed close to nominal voltage in order to start. I regard the kickstart to be a backup in case the solenoid or starter fails, not in case the battery dies.
Yup. +1

Old 05-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #11

Don't know what brand since I have never had it out of the bike.

Betcha it's a Yuasa.

Made in USA. 8)

Old 05-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #12

dont see why it wouldn't rev, if it will start with the kick it should run. usually its fuel injection that has that type of issue. on my lifan and xr motors the battery and ignition circuits do not rely on each other.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #13

I don't know why it would not rev either. Idled just fine but give it the gas and it would bog and die. Puzzling.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
I don't know why it would not rev either. Idled just fine but give it the gas and it would bog and die. Puzzling.
My failed CDI unit did the same thing. While riding, the bike would die on me, so I would coast to the side of the road. :roll: Then, after a short rest, the bike would start, but when I applied throttle to start riding, the engine would shut down. :x

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
This makes no sense. Following this logic, the battery would die every few hours of riding, if the charging system is unable to keep up with the load. The magneto HAS to be putting out enough power to run all systems, plus a little extra to charge the battery after starting. I know a lot of people that convert their track bikes to run battery-less, they pull of the starter to save weight. I also know of other people who pull the magneto and run a total loss system with a small battery...