Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2011, 03:05 AM   #1

Comments on the Linhai 400?

Hi Folks,

Wondering what your thoughts/ experience is with the Linhai brand. I can't find really anything in reviews or stories in north america on Linhai. I notice that they are a fair bit cheaper in the USA, and perhaps some of our American users can comment on them?

Linhai is offering me a discount if I buy one ($900-ish off retail) but I'm hesitant since I've heard to avoid the 'chinese' water cooled engines (I know linhai is taiwanese but still...). I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Other question is, do you recommend any other makes of 4x4 that can be had for under $5k in Canada?

http://www.linhaicanada.com/atvs/400-sport.html

I saw a used 300 4x4 go for $1,000 in vancouver on craigslist the other day. I don't live near Vancouver though so I was thinking of biting the bullet and either buying a used brand name from prince george or paying for the convenience of having a new 4x4 delivered here.

Jacob[/url]

Old 08-08-2011, 03:11 AM   #2

...and here is a link to an americn page on the 400s
http://www.buyatvscheap.com/LINHAI-4...li400%20se.htm

Old 08-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #3

Look at the signs on the front wall.

Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 08-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #4

Thanks for the photo, I did find info on the Yamaha investment, I was hoping to hear from anyone with actual experience with the machines. I understand they just opened up in Canada by proxy - Linhai Canada is run by Visionary Motorsports in Alberta. I also found that they make small engines for Yamaha, but their ATVs are their own design. I'm curious to know if they are clones of something or what their platform is.

Seems promising, but a bit hesitant to buy something that has few actual reviews, testimonials, how-to articles, etc.

I guess another question is:

What are the best buys for a chinese 300/400+ cc 4x4 atv? Basically I need at least 1 4x4 to get up the serious trails here. I'm looking also at a used fourtrax, but I'm concerned it won't have the jam to make it up some of the steeper grades.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #5

I came upon two guys riding on a mountain that had very similar machines, and they invited me to look them over. One was a Yamaha Bruin and the other was a Baja 400; they were identical with two exceptions. The Baja had four headlights rather than two, and the Bruin had some device mounted to the engine case (I'm guessing a low oil pressure cut-out switch).

Everything else was identical. Suspension, winch mount, the whole deal. I'd be happy with something like that, because I know I can source Yamaha stuff as necessary.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #6

visionary sports

they use dto sell the HENSIM .. JIANSHE line up... I I was selling them as well.... but I bought them pver form China myself... and now they switched to the LINHA.. brand..... made by Yamaha same as The 2 brands that I mentioned above... Yamaha owns lots of companys in CHina... same stuff... same Yamaha parts

Old 08-24-2011, 03:04 AM   #7

Hey Flash,

Thanks for the input. Looks like Yamaha is involved in a few chinese operations, and it also looks like there are a lot of quality chinese quads out there! Both Hensim an Jiashe have some interesting 400 4x4s with yamaha engines.

I'm pretty interested in the Linhai SbS now, it sounds like they are well made and OK performers. Would like to see a bigger engine in a SbS, but I hear they are solid.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:51 AM   #8

I have a Chinese water-cooled Taotao ATV- with a Loncin motor. 2&1/2 years....never a bit of trouble with the motor- it's the bodies/frame/electrical systems and suspensions that tend to be problematic on Chinese ATVs.

In my opinion, CHEAP Chinese ATV- like under $1300 are a deal, IF they're not going to be used hard.

Paying thousands of dollars for a Chinese 4x4 ATV, though? NO FREAKING WAY! The engine will likely last for the next 10 years with no problem...but the other things, and especially the 4x4 components will be a never-ending nightmare, and if you use the ATV for what a 4x4 ATV is supposed to be used for, it will be trashed in less than a year! Waste of money for that kind of money. Cheap ATVs for kids and street vehicles are getting better and better- and can be a bargain for those who don't mind tinkering (The carefulness with which one assembles the vehicle makes a huge impact on the overall result)......but the trade off with Chinese vehicles is mediocre quality and self-tinkering in exchange for a cheap price. Take "cheap price" out of the equation, and you're looking at shoddy junk that depreciates faster than a box of popsicles in a hot car, and generally drives one nuts. Yeah..they may seem cheap compared to the real brands....but when you're talking thousands of dollars, being relatively cheap is not good enough. Chinese stuff is getting better in recent years....but not to the point where complex 4x4 ATvs that cost big money are yet a feasible option.

You don't mind mediocre quality on something you pay $700 for. You don't want mediocre quality and no resale value on something that costs 4 or 5 grand! For that money, you can get a used Traxter or something like that, which will blow the Chinese stuff away and still be worth nearly what you paid for it 5 years from now.

I paid almost $2K for my Chinese ATV. It's been reliable....but otherwise, it's pretty rickety- just O-K for me, because I use it very gently just for transportation around my 28 acres and to visit the neighbor. I wouldn't buy it again...but i will be buying a <$700 Chinese scooter.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:06 AM   #9

Hi Kentucky,

I agree. My problem up here is that the brand name used ATVs just aren't a good deal. Sure, there've been a couple OK deals, but nothing great - and after talking to the local mechanics that fix all the ATVs, I'm not convinced that $6k for a used Polaris/ Can-Am/ Honda/ Yamaha/ etc is better spent than $4k on a "good" chinese atv.

Part of it is that the used market up here SUCKS - it's not like in Vancouver or down in the USA where sweet deals hang like overripe fruit in a neglected orchard. People who ride up here ride hard, and I've found a lot of people want more than fair value for their used machines.

Recent example, tried buying a used Polaris 4x4 - a 500 HO, 2003. The ask was for $4k. It was in rougher shape. One of those 'really' used ATVs, but cared for. He wouldn't take $3,500 - and they are selling for $5,900 brand new at the dealer! I saw a deal in Vancouver for a new Polaris with a trailer for $6k.

Also, the local mechanic said "DONT BUY A POLARIS" - He has 4 of them in his shop at any given time. My uncle has 2 Polaris's that are often in the dealer for repairs. The 4x4 systems go on them, it is a new belt a year for my uncle on his polaris.

I've been mostly happy with my Gio Beast limited. The frame is MUCH better quality than the Tao Tao - it is machine welded and much heavier duty. It also has a nice heavy chain that's been far less problematic than the light chain on the Tao. But I am having issues with the gearing and clutch.

Anyhow, that is my ramble. I am still searching the used channels almost daily for a decent deal on a 4x4, hoping to find something reasonable before the fall! There is a guy here with a Can-Am 4x4 only 2 years old, was $14k new, ask is $6k. Only "problem" is that it is more racing ATV and not the trail atv w racks etc that I am looking for.

-jb

Old 08-26-2011, 02:19 AM   #10

I know what you mean, Northern- it's a pretty futile attempt to find even a decent deal used, where i am too. That's why I went Chinese.

Neighbor has a used 4x4 Polaris....it IS junk. He put thousands of dollars into it- and that's fixing it himself.

At least you already have a Gio, so you kind of know what to expect.

I just would not buy a 4x4 ATV at this time. The name brand ones are overpriced (new or used) and they're not exactly bulletproof....and like I said, I couldn't see spending that kind of money for Chinese..... If I "HAD" to absolutely have one, I'd try and find an alternative- like a Jeep or a tractor/snow cat/snow mobile/tennis rackets strapped to my shoes.... .... or something- depending on what I needed to do, because the way I see it, a 4x4 ATV really ends up costing you...no matter what route ya go. (One of the things I hate about then name-brand ones, is how they make them so hard to work on...burying everything under gobs of plastic...and making them almost impossible to repair in the field)

Old 08-31-2011, 12:16 AM   #11

I have found a few people who actually own Linhais and here is what this person had to say (found on Youtube):

Hey there, I have a white 400 sport. I thought the white 400 was the best looking machine. Those puppies put out an ass kicking 28hp at the rear wheels, did you know that? Outrages for a non name brand ATV. My uncle has a 300se 4X4 and uses it all winter to plow his yard and he takes it hunting also. He's had that thing in some pretty shitty predicaments and hasn't been let down yet. My neighbor across the street traded his Arctic Cat 450 for a Linhai Bighorn 28 side by side and loves it. I've been trouble free since buying mine, and I use mine to haul some pretty decent sized logs out of the woods. I think these bikes are the best kept secret in all of Canada. You get bang for your buck at a fraction of the cost. They are built like a tank and the motors rock as far as I'm concerned. My wife loves the neighbors side by side so much that she wants to buy a Linhai Bighorn 21 for herself, so there you go.

As far as electrical issues go, I live in Nova Scotia and we have coastal moisture (as you call it) like you wouldn't believe and the people I've talked to have reported no such problems. My dealer told me that the few problems he has encountered are a result of abuse and then the customer comes to him and talks about what a piece of crap it is and wants it fixed for nothing. Buy it, don't abuse it (they all break if you do that) and do your maintenance and you will be a happy man that saved 3 to 5 thousand dollars…cheers.