ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Templar X 250 (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=30518)

Thumper 07-20-2022 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huck369 (Post 375770)
I'll also note, it has mounting points for rear pegs, but does not come with the Pegs.

I noticed this. I like the red, Huck! And the suspension on this dual sport enduro could handle a passenger ;)
I would like to add them, but not sure how to find them. Here is the right footpeg mount:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...203036b5_w.jpg

Did I mention it comes with a smoothbore PE30 carb?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...cb90ec15_w.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e08ced90_w.jpg

AjjAxx84 07-20-2022 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 380971)
I noticed this. And the suspension on this dual sport enduro could handle a passenger ;)
I would like to add them, but not sure how to find them. Here is the right footpeg mount:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...203036b5_w.jpg

If you check out the bike straight from the manufacturer (zuumav) on alibaba they have the passenger pegs in the photos. You can reach out to them to see how to obtain them. I am going to see what they say.

There is a nice pair on eBay, it says mounting holes are 2.76” apart. Does that sound right?

Thumper 07-20-2022 09:05 PM

AJ,

NO, it is 2.5" on the Templar X

I just measured. 2.76" matches the TBR7 and Storm rear footpeg mounts.

AjjAxx84 07-20-2022 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 380985)
AJ,

NO, it is 2.5" on the Templar X

I just measured. 2.76" matches the TBR7 and Storm rear footpeg mounts.

Thanks! I’m on a mission to find them. Worst case the 2.76” can be heated and bent?

Thumper 07-20-2022 09:59 PM

Thanks! this 2022 Templar X comes with very geared down final drive 13T front, 49T rear). You can find yourself in 5th gear going 35mph! It does wind out but I don't think it will exceed 60mph lol

I only use it for off road fun (and streets getting there), so it doesn't matter for now. I have the Storm for riding a little faster on the hwy.

I will upgrade sprockets and a new chain when this set is showing signs of age. By then, maybe i will know what will work for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadan (Post 377443)
I did a little digging around and came across this information for an earlier ZS172FMM engine. This is the shorter stroke version, not the 3 or 3A variant with the larger stroke that comes in these bikes, but I would imagine the transmission ratios between the two are the same or similar. You could always plug this information into a gearing calculator like the link above or gearingcommander.com and see if the data you get out matches what you see on your own bike. If so, then that should help you guys determine good ratios for this bike.

https://i.ibb.co/xY3TfJj/zs172fmm-ratios.jpg

Spoonbender 07-21-2022 01:23 AM

https://share.icloud.com/photos/03f5...aVVNRCbC2ZRR6Q I got the Templar during the Mother’s Day sale @ psm. Added bark busters and dropped the rear sprocket to a 40 tooth. Cruises nice at 55 now, it’s plated so I ride to work couple times a week. Overall I’m really happy with the bike!

Okierider 07-21-2022 07:42 AM

I used the CRFs only hearing calculator and that chart, thanks much Megadan, to run numbers and come up with a 40 tooth sprocket.
The bike will do 70 as it is now, but it’s screaming. I’d like it to cruise at 40-50 mph. Right now 50 is 6500 rpm, with the 40 tooth it should be closer to 5200.

Thumper 07-21-2022 01:36 PM

Awesome! Then you got the best price I ever saw for this bike. Nice bark busters and I like the fender pack! Beautiful riding location. Where is it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoonbender (Post 380996)
I got the Templar during the Mother’s Day sale @ psm. Added bark busters and dropped the rear sprocket to a 40 tooth. Cruises nice at 55 now, it’s plated so I ride to work couple times a week. Overall I’m really happy with the bike!

riddlerap 07-21-2022 02:03 PM

These Suzuki DRZs keep popping up near me on FB marketplace, trying to decide if I wanna go that route or wait on the Temp X. I see benefits to both.

Huck369 07-21-2022 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 381038)
Awesome! Then you got the best price I ever saw for this bike. Nice bark busters and I like the fender pack! Beautiful riding location. Where is it?

the total on mine was $1,980.00 shipped....I'm very happy with it! A lot of bike for the money :)

riddlerap 07-21-2022 03:07 PM

Hoping the Temp X restock happens during their Summer Sale that's going on now so it isn't full price.

AjjAxx84 07-21-2022 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riddlerap (Post 381042)
Hoping the Temp X restock happens during their Summer Sale that's going on now so it isn't full price.

They always have some type of sale, you’ll never pay full price

Thumper 07-21-2022 06:07 PM

Oh, you will pay full price... sales are just the excuse to sell at their acceptable profit level :lmao:

I just mean that the sale price is "full price". ;)

And with this new lot, I think we can expect an additional $50 to $100. We are in a major inflationary stage after all of this COVID wipeout, increased cost of everything at the manufacturing plant. It is just supply and demand (and a worldwide pandemic!). Labor, energy, parts... everything at the factory costs more.

Spoonbender 07-22-2022 11:07 AM

Thanks! I was riding along the Green river in auburn, wa

riddlerap 07-22-2022 09:47 PM

I refresh PSM like twice an hour. The desperation.

Blueridge boyieee 07-23-2022 06:24 AM

Long week…

That’s the outer diameter, stock was 32mm, RXB cat delete is 39mm.

Blueridge boyieee 07-23-2022 07:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just rolled over 320 miles and damn this little thing is fun. I have a 42T rear and 50 MPH is comfy. I went to install the 14T front but damn if my case wouldn’t need some serious attention. A bit more than I’m comfortable with with all the newness/90 day warranty.

The cat delete looks to have dropped the cylinder temp around 12-20 degrees based on my IR fluke temps near the plug during cool down. The jetting has remained 125/25 and the plug looks good. Still a bit fat on the pilot, maybe even the main. That’ll be a fun day tuning and playing when I finish clearing the rest of the minor snags.

The front brake has been fighting me for a while. After some rather sloppy clearing with the dremel, too lazy to remove line and bleed. The rotor can rotate under hard breaking without the crest of the wav rotor interfering. Now thats fixed the bastard is squeaking. But hell, my Triumphs front brake squeaks at times…

Can’t overstate what a fun little bike this is, super light and easy to ride. Easily better than a Yamaha XT for 60% less money. River pic from yesterdays ride, my RF1100 seems out of place.

Thumper 07-23-2022 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueridge boyieee (Post 381192)
Just rolled over 320 miles and damn this little thing is fun.
Can’t overstate what a fun little bike this is, super light and easy to ride. Easily better than a Yamaha XT for 60% less money.

ISN'T IT THOUGH ?!! :tup:

And to think that it has even more power available: I guess that smallish 5" expanded part of the headpipe by the cylinder is the cat? It must be very restrictive for exhaust flow, but it already feels like 20hp!

After riding this bike more and more, I realize that it can easily handle much taller higher final drive ratio. Nutcracker confirmed it is the 153mm bolt pattern circumference, so I ordered a 39T JTR 210 sprocket. I'd have gotten the 40T, but the 39 was $5 less and in stock, here tomorrow. This will drop the ratio by more than 20%, even with that teeny 13T front sprocket. But I don't want to grind the case to make a 14T fit! This should be good.

I ordered an RK O-ring 120 link chain at the same time, also will be here tomorrow. That original chain is certainly strong enough, but noisy.

Okierider 07-23-2022 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 381193)
ISN'T IT THOUGH ?!! :tup:

And to think that it has even more power available: I guess that smallish 5" expanded part of the headpipe by the cylinder is the cat? It must be very restrictive for exhaust flow, but it already feels like 20hp!

After riding this bike more and more, I realize that it can easily handle much taller higher final drive ratio. Nutcracker confirmed it is the 53mm bolt pattern circumference, so I ordered a 39T JTR 210 sprocket. I'd have gotten the 40T, but the 39 was $5 less and in stock, here tomorrow. This will drop the ratio by more than 20%, even with that teeny 13T front sprocket. But I don't want to grind the case to make a 14T fit! This should be good.

I ordered an RK O-ring 120 link chain at the same time, also will be here tomorrow. That original chain is certainly strong enough, but noisy.

Replacing my chasing made the bike much, much quieter.

Nutcracker 07-24-2022 12:55 AM

I've heard the old analogy HP sells cars and Torque wins races...

Someone needs to test out Henners timing advance key. This little engine has a great torque curve and I wonder what a difference the key makes.

Ive been curious in a future purchase of a ZS177MM 300cc motor on eBay & came across a Honda 250R Engine for $300 on Facebook Marketplace. Its rated for 32 HP but only has 18 ft lbs torque same torque as our TemplarX. I guess a another testament to the specs of this bikes value & performance.

Blueridge boyieee 07-24-2022 06:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Some low res pics of my shade tree stainless welding. Had to cut the straight section behind the frame mount and make a new frame mount. Unfortunately, my joint had too big of a gap and I hit a burn through. Made a sloppy-poppy patch and while not pretty, it works. I ain’t going to be welding in maranello…

The RBX pipe was too long for my base model and the muffler is a bit wide. Still fighting a bit of tire rub. It does work for the engine temps and it’s not louder than the stocker, as the stock unit was loud. Best part is I can throw her back to stock in 10 minutes.

First creek crossing and I rode home 15 miles oblivious to the vines wrapping the hub, guess I ain’t gonna be riding in Maranello either.

Wish I went with the 40 or a 39 rear sprocket, the 42 is better but I wouldn’t mind a bit lower.

Okierider 07-24-2022 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutcracker (Post 381247)
I've heard the old analogy HP sells cars and Torque wins races...

Someone needs to test out Henners timing advance key. This little engine has a great torque curve and I wonder what a difference the key makes.

Ive been curious in a future purchase of a ZS177MM 300cc motor on eBay & came across a Honda 250R Engine for $300 on Facebook Marketplace. Its rated for 32 HP but only has 18 ft lbs torque same torque as our TemplarX. I guess a another testament to the specs of this bikes value & performance.

I’ve got it, but I just finished moving and my tools etc are all still packed up.

AjjAxx84 07-24-2022 02:38 PM

R&L carriers says Templar X will deliver aug 2nd. First 2 templars came from Texas, the X is coming from California

riddlerap 07-24-2022 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjjAxx84 (Post 381279)
R&L carriers says Templar X will deliver aug 2nd. First 2 templars came from Texas, the X is coming from California

So lucky! Impatiently waiting for them to post another refurb or new stock. Hoping maybe the next couple days.

Thumper 07-24-2022 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okierider (Post 378651)
.06 and .08 millimeters? Not inch?

I set exhaust at ~0.006" and intake ~0.005"
Range that will work is more like 0.005 to 0.007" exhaust, and 0.004" to 0.006" intake.
I use these values for the Storm as well. Unless I find beleievable authority, these gaps are not too narrow.

EDITED: These clearances are too wide. Cold engine!- gaps should be 0.001-0.002" intake and ~0.003" exhaust)

See Okierider's comment next post from Joe Henner.

These settings quieted down the head, and the engine still performs great.

Okierider 07-24-2022 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 381299)
Range that will work is more like 0.005 to 0.007" exhaust, and 0.004" to 0.006" intake.
I use these values for the Storm as well. Unless I find beleievable authority, these gaps are not too narrow.

If you have an authoritative reference otherwise, I would like to know.

Word is that exhaust valves get hotter and can tighten up, which can lead to blow by if the valve doesn't fully close. This is why the gap is ~wider. If the valve doesn't fully close, it can burn a gap and damage the sealing surface.

These are values measured in inches. My feeler gauge has both on them, so
for instance, 0.007" is 0.178mm

The conversion is simply multiply the inch value by 25.4 to get the final figure in millimeters. To convert, multiply the inch gap by 25.4 millimeters. Specifically, 1 millimeter equates to 0.0393700787 inches.

Please feel free to share you thoughts on these values. This motor runs GREAT at these settings, but I don't ride for long times- 30 minute sessions in the trails, with awesome performance. And the motor starts up instantly if I stall or temporarily shut down.

.002 inch is what Joe Henner recommended to me due specifically to these being roller rocker equipped motors unlike the old CG clones.
I figure he builds these into race motors so I’ll take his word for it.
That is, when I get a chance to do anything lol.
I need to check my clearances, install the 4* key, install the 40 tooth sprocket, install the oil cooler, and remove the cat/replace with straight pipe.
Honestly Thumper et al I’m enjoying living vicariously through all y’all. Moving the homestead has been and continues to be a bear. I probably won’t have much time to wrench until winter.

Huck369 07-25-2022 07:14 AM

I had added the 42 tooth rear sprocket, but still wanted taller gears, so got the 14 tooth front, and installed it with no grinding, it was tight, but it went on, is pretty close to the gearing I was looking for, but it could pull even taller gearing.... will probably run this for a while.

Thumper 07-25-2022 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huck369 (Post 381311)
I had added the 42 tooth rear sprocket, but still wanted taller gears, so got the 14 tooth front, and installed it with no grinding, it was tight, but it went on, is pretty close to the gearing I was looking for, but it could pull even taller gearing.... will probably run this for a while.

Which sprocket? Is it a JT? Model?

Oh yeah... post 14:lmao:

Okierider 07-25-2022 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 381310)
That is a narrow gap. I guess that he assumption is that heating up the head does not result in tightening of those clearances. Maybe those long rods in the CG clones are the main source of expansion, and of course there are no rods in the OHC design. I think this is the same head that is in the ZS172-FMM engine in the new Lifan KPX250. I wonder if the valve adjustment specs are identical?

If he’s anything like the hot riders I’ve known in the past it’s less based on “specs say so-and-so” and more “ let’s see how this works out.” And going with what works.

Huck369 07-25-2022 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 381315)
Which brand/model sprocket did you install? A JT? When I search for sprocket for ZS172FMM-3A, I see a few, including JTF516. I am not home to look at the sprocket. Is this it?

Attachment 27275

Yes, the JT sprocket that was posted earlier

AjjAxx84 07-25-2022 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huck369 (Post 381342)
Yes, the JT sprocket that was posted earlier

Thank you for the info! I just ordered one from Amazon: JT Sprockets JTF270.14 14T Steel Front Sprocket , black , 14 Tooth

riddlerap 07-26-2022 10:22 AM

Base Templar is back in stock on the site, no X yet. I called again yesterday and was told they can't say a definite date but it could be a month.

Thumper 07-26-2022 11:43 AM

So they were talking about this model when they said by end of the month.

I do like the lime green. $1600 plus $300 shipping is not bad at all!

riddlerap 07-26-2022 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 381388)
So they were talking about this model when they said by end of the month.

I do like the lime green. $1600 plus $300 shipping is not bad at all!

Seems they add and drop new stuff on the site regularly, so just keeping fingers crossed that the X is also in soon. I'm also in a back and forth with a local about a KLR650.

AjjAxx84 07-28-2022 12:55 PM

The X should be getting delivered tomorrow fingers crossed…

Raptssan 07-28-2022 10:01 PM

Im anxious to see what the differences are between the templar and the x.

riddlerap 07-28-2022 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptssan (Post 381535)

They've been discussed a few pages or so back.

Off top the X has a bigger wheelbase, bigger gas tank, adjustable suspension.. those were the big differences for me. Also I think a better carb.

AjjAxx84 07-29-2022 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptssan (Post 381535)

Bigger frame, adjustable front/rear suspension, bigger front brake, bigger gas tank, way better seat, engine guard, rear fender rack.

Nutcracker 07-29-2022 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 381299)

If you have an authoritative reference otherwise, I would like to know.

Word is that exhaust valves get hotter and can tighten up, which can lead to blow by if the valve doesn't fully close. This is why the gap is ~wider. If the valve doesn't fully close, it can burn a gap and damage the sealing surface.

These are values measured in inches. My feeler gauge has both on them, so
for instance, 0.007" is 0.178mm

The conversion is simply multiply the inch value by 25.4 to get the final figure in millimeters. To convert, multiply the inch gap by 25.4 millimeters. Specifically, 1 millimeter equates to 0.0393700787 inches.

Please feel free to share you thoughts on these values. This motor runs GREAT at these settings, but I don't ride for long times- 30 minute sessions in the trails, with awesome performance. And the motor starts up instantly if I stall or temporarily shut down.

Interesting on valve settings. Okierider is correct coming from Henner on .002 inch (.05mm). I too ran my valves open more similar to your .007 with zero change in performance until I had valve chatter under load that caused me to change the settings. This engine (ZS172FMM3-A) has been around since early 2000s in UK. Recommendations are to set valves at .06mm intake & .008mm exhaust.

Russian forums talk about the same stuff as us here but they have more experience and rely on there machines more than a hobby. An interesting possible difference I see there 2 layer head gasket vs our 3 layer.

Who knows if it's factual or BS but the increase in gasket thickness allows for a decrease in compression providing the Chinese an inexpensive way to meet lower NOX gas / EPA requirements to import to US. It could be the earlier engines are assembled differently than new models.

The reason I mention the head gasket is in theory it would allow for a larger valve gap.

Maybe more importantly is to ensure your at TDC on this motor because it does have a decompression valve. Make sure you line up the markings in the sight hole on flywheel and the timing gear marks by removing the timing gear cover for insurance.

Tusk makes a great feeler gauge that's tapered easily fits under the rocker Valves will post link.

Tusk Tapered Feeler Gauge Set https://a.co/d/8rZAzEx

riddlerap 07-30-2022 01:01 PM

Ended up getting a 07 KLR650. Satisfied, but someday I think I will dip into the Chinese bikes just for fun. Something more off-road oriented potentially.