ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Neutral issues (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15737)

detours 01-04-2016 05:48 PM

Synthetic oil really does make a difference in shift quality. Safer starts in cold weather too.

SpudRider 01-04-2016 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danimal (Post 202254)
Folks. There isn't a modern wet clutch motor made that likes to shift into neutral when the bike is sitting still. Some are better than others but none do it easily.
Get into the habit of snicking her into N as you are slowing to your stop. You should already be in N when you come to a stop.

What do you define as modern? Both my 2005 Honda XR650L and 2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 easily shift into neutral with the engine running. Needless to say, both bikes have wet clutches.

Do you shift into neutral when you coast to a stop light? I taught motorcycle rider safety for the state of Idaho for a year. We taught everyone to stay in gear at stop lights, so you can get out of the way when someone tries to bump you into the intersection, et cetera.

pitdirtbike 01-04-2016 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 202287)
Do you shift into neutral when you coast to a stop light? I taught motorcycle rider safety for the state of Idaho for a year. We taught everyone to stay in gear at stop lights, so you can get out of the way when someone tries to bump you into the intersection, et cetera.

+1 this is what I've been taught. Actually my instructor told me that it's generally hard to select neutral on motorcycles for safety reasons, so you don't shift to neutral accidentally and can always get out of the way in case of danger.

David.

Danimal 01-04-2016 10:46 PM

Not just the engine running, but the bike stopped. That is why some bikes will hit the neutral detent if you rock the bike fwd or reverse a bit.
As far as sitting stopped at a light in neutral or sitting there holding the clutch in, I'll do whatever the situation dictates thank you

SpudRider 01-05-2016 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danimal (Post 202294)
Not just the engine running, but the bike stopped. That is why some bikes will hit the neutral detent if you rock the bike fwd or reverse a bit.
As far as sitting stopped at a light in neutral or sitting there holding the clutch in, I'll do whatever the situation dictates thank you

I was talking about the engine running, and the bike stopped.

You certainly are able to follow any riding practice you like. However, when you recommend a practice that is considered unsafe by every rider safety program, then it would be remiss for me let it pass without remark.

We are happy with the friendly atmosphere we maintain here. Being rude to anyone at China Riders is not tolerated. It is especially unacceptable to be flippant with the moderators. Therefore, you have earned a temporary ban. If you decide to return and repeat this behavior, you will earn a permanent ban.

Inroads 01-05-2016 06:04 AM

I can see the point about being safer with the bike in gear at a stoplight.
Situation does dictate.I would try and not sit at a long light with the clutch pulled in as I believe it wears on the clutch plates compared to sitting in neutral.
Also there is the outside chance of killing the motor if the clutch lever slipped.That would not happen if you were in neutral.

peperino 01-05-2016 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danimal (Post 202254)
Folks. There isn't a modern wet clutch motor made that likes to shift into neutral when the bike is sitting still. Some are better than others but none do it easily.
Get into the habit of snicking her into N as you are slowing to your stop. You should already be in N when you come to a stop.

You need to try a Kawasaki with Positive Neutral Finder and you'll change your mind immediately

detours 01-05-2016 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inroads (Post 202311)
I can see the point about being safer with the bike in gear at a stoplight.
Situation does dictate.I would try and not sit at a long light with the clutch pulled in as I believe it wears on the clutch plates compared to sitting in neutral.
Also there is the outside chance of killing the motor if the clutch lever slipped.That would not happen if you were in neutral.

I'm honestly not worried about clutch wear with a wet clutch and properly adjusted cable.

2LZ 01-05-2016 11:41 AM

Neutrals were always an issue in many bikes...unless it was a Hodaka. They came with multiple neutrals that could be found most anywhere in a gear box! ;-)

Weldangrind 01-05-2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detours (Post 202330)
I'm honestly not worried about clutch wear with a wet clutch and properly adjusted cable.

Me neither, and clutches are cheap. Besides, I'd rather sacrifice my clutch than myself. I always keep the bike in gear while at a red light, and I keep one eye on my mirror.

rjmorel 01-05-2016 01:03 PM

I'm a neutral phobyte I guess.
Every since back in the day when I observed a lad who had just bought one of those shiny new orange Suzuki 400 Cyclone Moto crossers (testicular mashers). It must of been his first rodeo because for minutes on end he kept it in gear on the starting line while they waited for the watering truck to get done watering the track.
Nobody was going to get the jump on him.
When the starter finally came and gave the 30 second warning for everyone to get ready, said Suzuki squirted down the track with the rider hanging on like in a Charley Chaplin movie, half on , half off and taking some mighty big steps in between. Apparently keeping it in gear for so long with that much legendary power made the clutch plates swell enough that he had no clutch left as it had become one with the universe. Even though he tried his darness to squeeze handlebar and clutch lever into one solid piece.
So now I even put my car automatic transmission in neutral at long stop lights.
Weird huh???? :) rj

ripcuda 01-05-2016 01:16 PM

Over the years, I've just gotten into the habit of slightly rocking the bike to pop into neutral from 1st... works like a charm. Although my Kinroad has neutral all the way at the top, so I can't miss it!

As for neutral at lights? I'm guilty. On known LONG wait lights... after the cars around me have settled... in particular, the guy behind me has stopped... I'll shift into neutral to give my hand a break and use the pause in riding to stretch or roll my shoulders and stay loose.

Ride safe! Cheers!

kohburn 01-05-2016 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peperino (Post 202322)
You need to try a Kawasaki with Positive Neutral Finder and you'll change your mind immediately

which only allows it to go from 1st to neutral and back to 1st while not moving. I'm so used to kawasakis.

Inroads 01-05-2016 01:30 PM

Quote:

Proper adjustment would not matter,nor a wet clutch for that matter.A wet clutch is actually worse than a dry clutch because of the stiction in the oil.
Only on long lights for me.
If you don't think the plates drag then push your bike in neutral and then push
It in gear with the clutch pulled in.

SpudRider 01-05-2016 01:52 PM

Quote:

i'm honestly not worried about clutch wear with a wet clutch and properly adjusted cable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by weldangrind (Post 202339)
me neither, and clutches are cheap. Besides, i'd rather sacrifice my clutch than myself. I always keep the bike in gear while at a red light, and i keep one eye on my mirror.

x3. ;)