ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Dong fang dual sport not starting (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17727)

vomitis 11-05-2016 10:58 AM

That's great Pete maybe it is lol.
Thanks again fellas, I'll try the new plug when I get home from work.
Possibly see if I can find a cdi box. There are several China scooter dealers around that might have one. If they are open.
I'll let you know if it works

Ariel Red Hunter 11-06-2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete (Post 235319)
have yer checked the piston...
could be why it WOODEN start.
useing them go against the GRAIN of
most companys but theres a small
SPLINTER group of companys that use them..

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/...17908997_n.jpg

Hey Pete ... Is that the piston out of your Montesa Cota? It looks a trifle scorched. Two-stroke running a little lean?

vomitis 11-06-2016 12:13 PM

I went ahead and changed the plug against all signs it was good,and it is running again.
Was going to change the cdi also but the parts place only had the AC box.
So if anyone needs an AC cdi pm me with your address and you can have it.

Thanks everyone

culcune 11-06-2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vomitis (Post 235450)
I went ahead and changed the plug against all signs it was good,and it is running again.
Was going to change the cdi also but the parts place only had the AC box.
So if anyone needs an AC cdi pm me with your address and you can have it.

Thanks everyone

Glad to read it was a simple trick!

Sorry about the CDI (I feel guilty about mentioning it). Looking back, I should have mentioned to change the plug first (which is what I did when I had the CDI issue), and then worry about the CDI. I was hoping that you might have had a buddy with a Chinese bike that you could have borrowed their CDI, and I did mention that; I hope it wasn't too much money for you...

culcune 11-06-2016 01:12 PM

How is your Dong Fang overall? Is it mostly stock, or have you done the usual tricks (sprockets, carb, maybe even exhaust)? My friend is the manager for the company that distributes TGB scooters in the US, but they used to handle Chinese products. While they don't stock many Chinese products, they still distribute on a case by case basis. They were approached by a rep from Dong Fang about 2 weeks ago to carry their products. He asked me if I knew anything about Dong Fang, and I told him the most I knew was about the bobber, but I understand all their full-size bikes use the exact same 229.2 cc engine, and their bikes are DOT/EPA street legal for 49 states (Californians needs not apply).

Adjuster 11-06-2016 01:30 PM

The plugs can and do get an internal crack in the center electrode going down the middle of the porcelain. When there is no torque on the plug it will function and pass the spark test. When you install the plug the torque separates the two broken pieces and then no good no spark. From the outside appearance the spark plug can look good as new but it has an internal fracture.

/

pete 11-06-2016 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter (Post 235437)
Hey Pete ... Is that the piston out of your Montesa Cota? It looks a trifle scorched. Two-stroke running a little lean?

No... the H6...
seems Montesa could do with wood what BSA couldn't with alloy....

pete 11-07-2016 12:01 AM

spark plug.... Now who would have thought...

vomitis 10-12-2017 10:06 PM

Sorry for the lateness, life got crazy there for awhile.
No worries Culcune, it was 5 bucks from a local-ish place that sell china scooters and atvs.
Except for the plug, its been trouble free. No problems caused by the bike. Its completely stock.
I should probably change the sprocket for a little more highway speed. Probably won't though. Its a beast off road.

Heck, The only thing that has ever fell off it was a bolt on the valve cover and I didn't use loc-tite on anything.

Problems I've caused due to curiosity, stupidity, and in a rush are:
first time adjusting the valves shortly after getting it together I took out the little silver bolt on the side of the valve cover and put it back. It had thread sealer on it. I didn't put any back on it. It fell out on the test ride. Blew oil everywhere!

Next was the spark plug

Then getting in a hurry putting it back together, somehow I've pinched a wire. A steady stream of smoke was coming up in front of the gas tank then died. The plastic jacket on the choke cable had melted off.
I haven't checked into any further after seeing that. That was shortly after the spark plug.

Thanks for the tip Adjuster!

Overall pleased with the dong fang