ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Hawk Fork Brace Mod (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=19349)

Megadan 05-07-2019 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfhawk (Post 308385)
with your vice were you able to squeeze the round part at the top? That's the widest part on mine putting outward pressure on the forks. The ends are actually easy enough to bend with my hands, but that didn't help the top round part. Thanks.

Yep, that is exactly what I did. I didn't go too crazy with it, just a small squeeze. Mine still puts a bit of pressure on the forks, but it is a lot less than it was before. I think the consistency in manufacturing is off enough that everybody will have different experiences. I would still like to find a different style of brace eventually, but this works rather well and for $20-25 the cost to improvement ratio is really high.

roundhouse 05-12-2019 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did mine today. I put it on, after having one for a yard. I drilled it out and squished the brace by sitting on it. Bent it just a hair and it fit great. I found my breather hose thingy was all cracked and rotted out so I threw on a pod filter and ordered a little breather to put on the crankcase.

I have mismatched bolts on it now. I will pull it apart next weekend and get new bolts and paint it black. I may use my sawzall to chop off the corners and use a bench grinder to round it off. I think it would look better.

Just have to wait until I get the breather and I will ride it and see how awesome it is with the brace.

JerryHawk250 07-03-2019 12:44 PM

I installed my fork brace last night. Too dark to take pictures and then the rain came so didn't get to ride to try it out. :cry: I'll do all that tomorrow and report back. Whoohoo! nice long weekend and lots of ride time. :yay:

JerryHawk250 07-08-2019 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hot as it was over the long 4th of July weekend I did get some ride time in. This is what I found. Front brakes just felt better as in braking felt more controlled. Bike felt more stable at higher speeds especially on rough sections of road. The front didn't feel like it wanted to wonder around. When going over bridges with grating the grating didn't pull side to side like it used to. Then again this could just all be in my head. lol :crazy: Mod well worth it IMO.

Megadan 07-08-2019 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 313789)
Then again this could just all be in my head. lol :crazy:

Not in your head at all. These long thin forks have a lot of flex in them, so the difference in feel when they are braced together is immense. Ride it for a while and take it off for no reason in particular to really notice the difference.

JerryHawk250 07-08-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadan (Post 313794)
Not in your head at all. These long thin forks have a lot of flex in them, so the difference in feel when they are braced together is immense. Ride it for a while and take it off for no reason in particular to really notice the difference.

Only time it's coming off is when I replace the fork seals and oil. ;)

OneLeggedRider 07-17-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 313463)
I installed my fork brace last night. Too dark to take pictures and then the rain came so didn't get to ride to try it out. :cry: I'll do all that tomorrow and report back. Whoohoo! nice long weekend and lots of ride time. :yay:

Where did you find yours?

JerryHawk250 07-17-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider (Post 314279)
Where did you find yours?

I bought it on Amazon but out of stock now because I bought the last one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They all come from the same place, Demons Cycles. You just have to keep checking until they have them in stock again. That's what I did and jumped on it when it was available. There are other styles available but triple the price.

JerryHawk250 07-17-2019 02:23 PM

If you have access to a steel plate roller you could fab one up. I was going to make one from 3/16" x 3" aluminum flat bar because I was tired of waiting on them to come back in stock. A friend of mine has a fab shop and I was going to use his roller to form it. Was going to drill a few holes and polish it up to make it look nice.

OneLeggedRider 07-17-2019 04:36 PM

I shan't be outdone! :hehe:

I just ordered the one from the other link Dan posted, $24.95 + $12 shipping.

JerryHawk250 07-17-2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider (Post 314288)
I shan't be outdone! :hehe:

I just ordered the one from the other link Dan posted, $24.95 + $12 shipping.

You get the unpainted one? The chrome is out of stock. Kind of wished I got the unpainted and paint it black.

JerryHawk250 07-17-2019 05:00 PM

Just checked there site and they have a few options both in chrome and unfinished. http://www.wpsracing.com/ulfobr.html

OneLeggedRider 07-17-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 314289)
You get the unpainted one? The chrome is out of stock. Kind of wished I got the unpainted and paint it black.

Yes, and it has round holes instead of slots across the top. I'll paint it gloss black. Probably need some longer bolts and I just bought a punch for the new mounting holes.

JerryHawk250 07-17-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider (Post 314293)
Yes, and it has round holes instead of slots across the top. I'll paint it gloss black. Probably need some longer bolts and I just bought a punch for the new mounting holes.

That's how the one I wanted to make was going to look. The stock bolts worked on mine.

joeboyk 07-17-2019 05:37 PM

Thanks

thanks guys just ordered one