ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX3 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Neutral issues (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15737)

Weldangrind 01-05-2016 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjmorel (Post 202341)
So now I even put my car automatic transmission in neutral at long stop lights.
Weird huh???? :) rj

I do the same, but that's to prevent excess heat build-up. I'm not as concerned about self-preservation in a cage.

Weldangrind 01-05-2016 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ripcuda (Post 202342)
As for neutral at lights? I'm guilty. On known LONG wait lights... after the cars around me have settled... in particular, the guy behind me has stopped... I'll shift into neutral to give my hand a break and use the pause in riding to stretch or roll my shoulders and stay loose.

That makes good sense. If there's a buffer behind you, that's a good opportunity to relax for a moment.

SpudRider 01-05-2016 04:34 PM

Quote:

...On known LONG wait lights... after the cars around me have settled... in particular, the guy behind me has stopped... I'll shift into neutral to give my hand a break and use the pause in riding to stretch or roll my shoulders and stay loose.

Ride safe! Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 202373)
That makes good sense. If there's a buffer behind you, that's a good opportunity to relax for a moment.

If you have a nice buffer with the car behind you, and several other cars have stopped behind him, you can certainly rest your hand a bit. :) However, shifting into neutral as you coast into a stop light is not a safe practice.

detours 01-05-2016 04:45 PM

Quote:

As for neutral at lights? I'm guilty. On known LONG wait lights... after the cars around me have settled... in particular, the guy behind me has stopped... I'll shift into neutral to give my hand a break and use the pause in riding to stretch or roll my shoulders and stay loose.

On long rides, at long lights, I occasionally do the same. But the RX3 has a pretty light pull (to me) and I usually don't mind holding the clutch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inroads (Post 202345)
Proper adjustment would not matter,nor a wet clutch for that matter.A wet clutch is actually worse than a dry clutch because of the stiction in the oil.

This seems like a reasonable precaution with heavy oils on an air cooled bike at long stops. Stiction is real, but it's minimal after the oil warms up. Our water cooling also helps keep the temps down at stoplights.

But proper cable adjustment does matter. A poorly adjusted (stretched) cable puts more pressure on the clutch plates, increasing drag, heat and wear.

Inroads 01-06-2016 08:35 AM

A "poorly adjusted(stretched) cable" would not allow full disengagement
I'm assuming everyone here knows proper cable adjustment,it's not rocket science.
A PROPERLY adjusted cable then would make no difference within the context of this discussion which is neutral or in gear at a stop.
Let's just agree that it is unquestionably safer to leave a bike in gear period.
I just have clutch heat issues in prolonged disengagement.

willy dog 01-06-2016 09:48 AM

the only time i had a neutral issue when it came out of the crate would not shift out of neutral into 1st gear no prob. after that. would always keep it in gear at traffic lights if we had traffic lights around here be safe

woodlandsprite 01-17-2016 08:11 PM

Lever was attached securely though I was able to tighten the bolt a bit more. My very non scientific method of going for a ride in my old boots lead me to believe it's the stiffer new boots that may be the culprit :)

SpudRider 01-18-2016 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlandsprite (Post 202968)
Lever was attached securely though I was able to tighten the bolt a bit more. My very non scientific method of going for a ride in my old boots lead me to believe it's the stiffer new boots that may be the culprit :)

Thanks for posting the update, Sprite. :)

If you choose to install a Honda XR650L shift lever, it is slightly longer, and will work well with you new boots. :)

woodlandsprite 01-18-2016 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudRider (Post 202980)
Thanks for posting the update, Sprite. :)

If you choose to install a Honda XR650L shift lever, it is slightly longer, and will work well with you new boots. :)

I actually have an aftermarket Honda lever on it. It's the emgo version. It seemed to be same length and dimensions as the rx3 original.

SpudRider 01-19-2016 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlandsprite (Post 203009)
I actually have an aftermarket Honda lever on it. It's the emgo version. It seemed to be same length and dimensions as the rx3 original.

I have an Emgo shift lever installed on my Honda XR650L. Previously, I had an MSR shift lever installed on my Honda XR650L. I haven't compared the Emgo shift lever to the MSR shift lever, but I don't remember noticing a difference in size. :shrug:

However, I can assure you the MSR shift lever for the Honda XR650L is definitely longer than the RX3 shift lever. :)

woodlandsprite 05-07-2016 08:54 PM

*grumble* So my bike still likes to lie about being in Neutral - the Indicator says N but it's still in gear. Today I stopped at a gas station, put the kickstand down, got off the bike, all while holding the clutch in - I was planning on letting the bike idle a whileso I could check the oil level in the sight....but as soon as I took my hand off the clutch, it stalled, jerking forward enough to pull itself off the kickstand - luckily it started leaning towards me and I caught it - any one elses's bike do this??

SpudRider 05-07-2016 09:27 PM

I'm glad you caught the bike and prevented a fall. :tup:

I see frequent warnings not to trust the neutral indicator light, but I have never had the neutral indicator lie to me on any motorcycle. :shrug:

I suggest you check the gear indicator plug leading to the digital dashboard for bent pins, dirt, corrosion, et cetera. ;)

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps0q3yqybf.jpg

Jay In Milpitas 05-08-2016 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodlandsprite (Post 215393)
*grumble* So my bike still likes to lie about being in Neutral - the Indicator says N but it's still in gear. Today I stopped at a gas station, put the kickstand down, got off the bike, all while holding the clutch in - I was planning on letting the bike idle a whileso I could check the oil level in the sight....but as soon as I took my hand off the clutch, it stalled, jerking forward enough to pull itself off the kickstand - luckily it started leaning towards me and I caught it - any one elses's bike do this??

Does it lie constantly or just sometimes?
If it's only sometimes, inspect the contact body (near the countershaft sprocket) to be sure it is securely attached. Also look closely at the wire harness attached to it to see if the insulation has been damaged.

woodlandsprite 05-08-2016 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas (Post 215422)
Does it lie constantly or just sometimes?
If it's only sometimes, inspect the contact body (near the countershaft sprocket) to be sure it is securely attached. Also look closely at the wire harness attached to it to see if the insulation has been damaged.

it likes to lie more frequently than not. I'm trying to think now if it is always in neutral after it stalls - I want to say yes, but I can't remember if I pull the clutch in if I'm moving the bike without it powered on. When I start the bike I pull the clutch in when I press the ignition, I can't remember if I let it back out and just sit on the bike while its idling before I put it in gear to get going....I guess I have some more investigation to do.

rjmorel 05-08-2016 05:11 PM

Mine also is a hit or miss getting into neutral and I've let the clutch out with the "N" light showing and it was in gear once and it killed it at a stop light. I need to check the switch I guess. rj