ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Pure Dirt (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   My Apollo 36 250 (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17384)

Slayder 09-30-2016 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 232614)
Slayder, did you fabricate that trailer? I like the bike mount across the tongue.

Yes, with the help of my old man.

Initially it was supposed to be a single axle 14ft x 6ft trailer but then turned into a car hauler. Behind the rear axle I've added support to carry the car ramps. Still need to add two stabilizer jacks in the rear.

Slayder 10-01-2016 11:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finished the bike today so here we go:

1. Installed rear shock from 98 Honda CR250
2. Modified the airbox and fitted a Pod filter
3. Ignore the mess.

I also disassembled the rear shock, cleaned it and replaced the oil with 5W then had it nitrogen filled to 170psi.

Multiple obstacles during the rear shock install, I'll let the pictures due the talking but will mention a few.

a. Shock spring seat is hitting the suspension link which you can see in the pictures below. I removed some material of the link and it's only hitting with the swing arm fully extended.

b. Sitting height after the sag adjustment is 38" with stock links, where as previously with my shortened links it was 35". Since there is alot more travel now, when sitting on the bike I'm almost flat footed. I'm 6'2" tall.

c. Due to the bike sitting taller I had to extend the kick stand by 2-1/2". (See Pictures)

d. Again do to the height of the bike the chain roller was hitting the swing arm and the roller mount required modification. (See Pictures)

Slayder 10-01-2016 11:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Had to grind down the bottom nut in order to fit the new shock.

Slayder 10-01-2016 11:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
For the chain roller mount, I just cut a V grove and bent it down to clear the swing arm when fully extended. Of course welded it.

Slayder 10-01-2016 11:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Teaser pic of the trailer. It's almost finished and paint looks awesome. :tup:

Also decided to add a hitch in the back of the trailer as you can see in the pic above. I have a small 8 foot popup camper and will use it as double tow. Idaho allows 65ft total.

Slayder 10-01-2016 11:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Now the airbox modifications. Cost of the coolant hose $10.99 and the hose adapters $3.99 at local auto shop(O'reilly). Filter pod was $5.99 from ebay.

Slayder 10-02-2016 12:02 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Don't forget to spray oil onto your Pod Filter, I used some K&N filter oil.

Used some 2" foam that I cut out to fill the large hole left in front of the airbox. I trimmed the airbox cover for easy installation. Also the 2" thick foam fits perfect into the slots on the bottom of the airbox which holds it firm in place.

Slayder 10-02-2016 12:06 AM

4 Attachment(s)
As previously mention the fuel tank mount broke so I decided to address that issue while I was there, installed two rubber spacers under the fuel tank mounts and sticky foam tape on sides where the tank was touching the frame.

Slayder 10-02-2016 12:12 AM

That's all folks, rear shock upgrade was definitely worth it but as you can see the process had some issues. I love how the rear shock feels, it's plush and actually absorbs. If you need any additional info please let me know.

Azhule 10-02-2016 10:39 AM

No questions for you (yet), more of a suggestion on that filter oil ;)

I use Maxima FFT (Foam Filter Treatment), it gets really sticky and when it starts to 'dry' it creates a "web like structure" that helps catch every last spec of dust/dirt trying to enter your intake/carb

https://www.amazon.com/Maxima-60901-.../dp/B00230K0BY

It's my favorite filter oil for many many years now... it has always PASSED the "White Glove Test" when checking for dust/dirt past the air filter... nothing but clean air makes it past my Maxima FFT treated filters

Slayder 10-02-2016 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azhule (Post 232810)
No questions for you (yet), more of a suggestion on that filter oil ;)

I use Maxima FFT (Foam Filter Treatment), it gets really sticky and when it starts to 'dry' it creates a "web like structure" that helps catch every last spec of dust/dirt trying to enter your intake/carb

https://www.amazon.com/Maxima-60901-.../dp/B00230K0BY

It's my favorite filter oil for many many years now... it has always PASSED the "White Glove Test" when checking for dust/dirt past the air filter... nothing but clean air makes it past my Maxima FFT treated filters

Great info, thanks for sharing. I just used what I had at the moment but will order the Maxima oil.

Weldangrind 10-03-2016 12:07 PM

I use Maxima Fab1, which is also excellent. It has the added benefit of being blue, so it's easy to see where you have applied it. It sticks like cobwebs.

I can't believe you got that shock to fit. I have a ZX6 shock laying around that is quite similar, and you have renewed my hopes that it will be useful. Good idea on the rad hose! I hadn't thought of that.

Kaifune 10-03-2016 03:06 PM

Great post! Thanks for the info and pics. They're already helping.

Slayder 06-08-2018 05:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some pictures from a recent ride - Boise, Idaho

Bike has been good, need to lean it out. It's missing at mid throttle, just needle adjustment.