ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Dual Sport/Enduro (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Hawk dlx engine problems (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=33585)

Pharaoh 12-06-2023 05:32 PM

yes when i got it it was never on there

XLsior 12-06-2023 05:37 PM

a simple compression test is remove the spark plug, put thumb or finger over the hole in the head and turn/kick the bike over. if it has any compression you will not be able to keep the hole covered on the compression stroke....

Pharaoh 12-06-2023 05:39 PM

oh wow thanks for the advice

Pharaoh 12-06-2023 06:25 PM

just to be clear

i went all the way to Chattanooga from Knoxville no issue on my way back my bike just shut off out of nowhere after about 60 seconds to 2 mins it would start right back up and idle just fine when i put it in gear it still would idle fine it wasn't until i hit the throttle did it die back out i had to tow it home once i got it home it would do the same thing but better as long as i kept the rpms low it would go to 5 gear and ride after a while that didn't work it started shutting off anytime i gave it gas and still would start back up after 60 sec and idle just fine one day i tried to low throttle it to the store it didn't make it on my way back home and changed the oil it continued to shut off with throttle the neighbor came and asked what was wrong i told him he told me to unplug the o2 sensor i did it wouldn't start i plugged it back in it still wouldn't start and hasn't started since and the only thing i could think of that i did was let my friend put automatic transmission fluid in it and upgraded the gas i was using thats why im confused since then i have only changed the spark plug because i wasn't getting a spark the engine would crank but not turn over i could feel air come out the plug hole and smell gas and ive checked fuses and cords the only thing i haven't done was a valve adjustment and i only used it for transportation never off road so i dont understand whats wrong

JerryHawk250 12-06-2023 07:57 PM

Check your kill switch to make sure didn't accidentally turn it on.

Pharaoh 12-06-2023 09:19 PM

Lol that's the first thing I did

Thumper 12-06-2023 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pharaoh (Post 402450)
Lol that's the first thing I did

I guess you mean you checked the kill switch. And that wasn't the issue??

The symptoms you describe, that it started but died when you twisted the throttle over and over, sounds like a throttle position sensor problem (EFI), but could be something else.

I don't know if you have a throttle position sensor on the EFI Hawk, but if it started fine, then died when you twisted the throttle, valves might be tight but that clearly wasn't the issue (but you still should set them). I have a TPS on my TDI diesel and my 1.4L turbo Jetta (gasser).

My interpretation- now that you clarified that it DID start, but died when you twisted the throttle repetitively, is that this is yet another mysterious EFI fail.

I am out of my wheelhouse here. Speak to the EFI wizards.

Pharaoh 12-06-2023 10:05 PM

After 10 hours straight of research today what do you think about the fuel pump being messed up and it did sputter before I cut off so some type of throttle positioning sensor or something sounds pretty close and I have never adjusted the valves

Pharaoh 12-06-2023 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 402447)
Check your kill switch to make sure didn't accidentally turn it on.

I like you you be everywhere so what do you think about some type of throttle sensor or even a fuel pump failure I'm still going to adjust the valves nonetheless

JerryHawk250 12-07-2023 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pharaoh (Post 402453)
I like you you be everywhere so what do you think about some type of throttle sensor or even a fuel pump failure I'm still going to adjust the valves nonetheless

EFI is not something you can't really diagnose without testing components. First you need a fully charged battery for the fuel pump, fuel injectors and ECU to work. Otherwise you are wasting your time. Check and make sure that you are getting full power to the fuel pump. If not, you have some sort of voltage issue, be it bad battery, bad ground or break in wire.

Pharaoh 12-07-2023 09:29 AM

Thanks for all your positive advice you guys are super helpful if it was a simpler bike I would have had fixed by now and probably upgraded with all the information I received

Pharaoh 12-07-2023 10:21 AM

Someone on Reddit mentioned the CDI that seems pretty plausible to me also what do you guys think

JerryHawk250 12-07-2023 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pharaoh (Post 402466)
Someone on Reddit mentioned the CDI that seems pretty plausible to me also what do you guys think

Your bike has an ECU. No CDI.

Zynice 12-07-2023 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pharaoh (Post 402453)

Currently looking into how efis work. By no means am I an expert whatsoever. Id assume the fuel pump is fine (when you first turn the key on you hear a whirrr which indictates its priming and giving fuel to the next part in line). Mentioned it has compression from the finger test on the spark plug hole. Now since the plug was fouled its from too much gas/too little air. Leaning more towards not enough air since there was kinda like build up if you will of extra gas. Maybe the valve that opens for air when you twist the throttle isnt opening correctly/enough? Say the sensor is telling the gas portion of the system to put more in, but its not able to get the correct amount of air to match it(when you twist the throttle). I honestly dont know how to diagnose it, but it would make logical sense to me atleast. My hands on experience with efis is slim to none lol.

Pharaoh 12-07-2023 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zynice (Post 402472)
Currently looking into how efis work. By no means am I an expert whatsoever. Id assume the fuel pump is fine (when you first turn the key on you hear a whirrr which indictates its priming and giving fuel to the next part in line). Mentioned it has compression from the finger test on the spark plug hole. Now since the plug was fouled its from too much gas/too little air. Leaning more towards not enough air since there was kinda like build up if you will of extra gas. Maybe the valve that opens for air when you twist the throttle isnt opening correctly/enough? Say the sensor is telling the gas portion of the system to put more in, but its not able to get the correct amount of air to match it(when you twist the throttle). I honestly dont know how to diagnose it, but it would make logical sense to me atleast. My hands on experience with efis is slim to none lol.

Okay to me that makes enough sense honestly even though no one really knows it seems as a collective and the process of elimination we are getting closer to figuring it out