ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic/General Discussion (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   What did you BUY today? (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16465)

Darkrider 08-20-2020 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 344858)
Loved the Slant 6. I've had three of them over the years and they are all but impossible to kill. All three got great MPG too, especially for back then.

This is the 3rd Slant for me as well though the first I have actually owned. The other 2 were in Aspens that my parents had over the years. I'm pretty sure both of those had the Super Six as they were around the right years for them. What's funny is that I'm using the Aspen as my guide for finding parts to ditch the lean burn.

bogieboy 08-20-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogieboy (Post 344674)
i went lens shopping for my old Canon rebel xti... LOL first off picked up an unknown quality, untested, as is Tamron A18 AF 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 LD Di II Macro IF Lens, overal visual quality looks perfectly fine, wondering if the seller doesnt have any camera to test it on...LOL scored for $35

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ZkcAA...6s/s-l1600.jpg

and then picked up a tried and true "nifty Fifty", 50mm F/1.8 STM lens only used 3 times, and is the newer version that has a 7 petal aperature instead of the older 5 petal that gave really wierd pentagonal Bokeh where the 7 is much cleaner more rounded Bokeh... scored that for $65...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/HeEAA...4q4/s-l500.jpg

Well, both lenses arrived today.... and both work flawlessly.... not sure why the tamron was listed as is for parts, it is a $130 lens all day long from what i see on ebay... and its not like it was a small time outfit either... looked into the seller, it turns out its Roberts Photo... been in business something like 58 years or so... crazy... scored an awesome super zoom for $35....LOL no fungus, haze, anything... its perfect...LOL:yay::yay::yay:

duck9191 08-20-2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogieboy (Post 344870)
Well, both lenses arrived today.... and both work flawlessly.... not sure why the tamron was listed as is for parts, it is a $130 lens all day long from what i see on ebay... and its not like it was a small time outfit either... looked into the seller, it turns out its Roberts Photo... been in business something like 58 years or so... crazy... scored an awesome super zoom for $35....LOL no fungus, haze, anything... its perfect...LOL:yay::yay::yay:

They may have tried it on a newer body that it didn't support and just figured it was dead. I have a sigma 100 2.8 macro I got super cheap because it's an old copy and was sold as manual only. Sigma rechiped it for like $50 and it works great with my 20d and 7d.

bogieboy 08-21-2020 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duck9191 (Post 344875)
They may have tried it on a newer body that it didn't support and just figured it was dead. I have a sigma 100 2.8 macro I got super cheap because it's an old copy and was sold as manual only. Sigma rechiped it for like $50 and it works great with my 20d and 7d.

that in my experience is a Sigma thing, sigma didnt want to pay for the EOS firmware back in the day, so they reverse engineered it....LOL i have a 28-300 that ONLY works on the old film cameras, which i have one of, got super cheap due to dSLRs showing err99, and the autofocus gears are stripped...LOL but it lives on a (yet to be used) Rebel 2000...

once canon updated the lens software for the ef-s lenses, it blockaded the old sigmas that reverse engineered the code....LOL :D

the only thing i can think of, is the Tamrons have a bad issue with zoom creep once they get some wear, (probably due to making an 18-250mm lens with a roughly 14x zoom capability that when the zoom is retracted is only about 2mm longer than an 18-55 canon kit lens which is roughly 3x zoom...) which this one does badly... LOL theres a tiny hair of play in the front of the lens when extended too, so a pro would probably discard the lens... for my crappy shots, it works fine....LOL

funny part is the Tamron 18-200 on the wifes rebel i got the same way, think i paid $25 for it due to some slight dust, and it had a broken lens mount... i found a bad focus lens for another $15 with a good mount and did surgery...aka removed the 3 screws that held the mount on....LOL

Mudflap 08-21-2020 10:03 AM

Maxxis Maxx Cross Intermediate Terrain Tire 70/100x19 for Honda XR100R 1985-2003. My Lifan 140 powered Trail 90 has a Honda XR100R front end. Not much choice of 2.50-19 tires and I don't really care for the trials tire on it now. Need a real aggressive tread for loose gravel.

franque 08-21-2020 11:41 AM

Got a thread somewhere?

2LZ 08-21-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudflap (Post 344892)
my lifan 140 powered trail 90 has a honda xr100r front end

pic!

Mudflap 08-21-2020 01:15 PM

Can't get a pic to upload for some reason. Will try later.

No build thread because I did it 10 years ago.

wheelbender6 08-21-2020 07:43 PM

Didn't buy anything, but we sold our house on the Gulf just when hurricane season is really heating up. Woohoo!

Oddball Matt 08-22-2020 04:30 AM

https://www.customfighters.com/forum...0d73aa20df.jpg

Some firepower to battle the darkness. Going on the XJR to extend the season til the frost comes since I'm only now getting started. Fugly but who's gonna see it in the dark eh?

cheesy 08-22-2020 07:31 PM

Picked up the bigger ATV today.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a6903460_z.jpg

Had a couple of adjustments to make on the front end. Alignment was was way off but easy to do on the Chevy tailgate.

Bruces 08-22-2020 08:34 PM

That thing looks pretty nice .Is that an axe on your tailgate ? Is that the official geismar kiddo atv alignment tool of the stars ? You worry me sometimes .

cheesy 08-22-2020 09:44 PM

Nah, that’s a 1/2” composite ratchet. I was doing the required Chinarider fastener check after I finished with the alignment. The rear axle nuts were loose, but everything thing else was good.

This is my Geismar “I Wasn’t Asking” Alignment Tool.
https://live.staticflickr.com/1562/2...567d7703_z.jpg
8lb sledge with a 12” handle.

Bruces 08-22-2020 10:03 PM

Cheese ,I don’t think you follow current super cross or moto cross racing ,but with the somewhat green bike for Eli ,I feel you need to know the current supercross champion and 3 time moto cross champion is a young fellow named Eli Tomac ,yup his father is John the mountain bike champion ,and he rides green bikes and more importantly seems like a very nice young man .I bet you can find a nice #3 green race jersey to go with the quad .

cheesy 08-22-2020 10:23 PM

Good idea, I’ll see what I can find. I met John years ago, about the time I realized I was too old to bounce my arse over tree roots at a high rate of speed. It wasn’t the falling, it was the not getting back up.

Darkrider 08-23-2020 08:42 AM

Well the Ram didnt work out...it was too far gone thanks to the messing about the so called "mechanic" did with it while it was in his possession..

wheelbender6 08-23-2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruces (Post 344976)
the current supercross champion and 3 time moto cross champion is a young fellow named Eli Tomac ,yup his father is John the mountain bike champion...

Johnny Tomac competed professionally on road bicycles and mountain bicycles, simultaneously. He used drop handlebars on his mountain bikes too, in order to maintain the same riding position on street and trail.
-i was a regular mountain biker for more than a couple of decades, and there is no way I would trail ride with drop bars. The Arizona trails usually featured constant drop offs, dry waterfalls (rock gardens) and saguaro cacti with big long needles.
-Johnny Tomac had some huevos.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c9/b1...c01db59fcb.jpg

wheelbender6 08-23-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabjoe (Post 344825)
Tower of Power has me thinking Mercury outboards.

My slant six in my 1972 Demon was very similar to the attached pic. I ran a tiny 390cfm holley carb and Hooker headers. No aftermarket cam. 3 in the floor. The biggest obstacle to getting a holley carb running right was fuel pressure. The Holley, 2bbl or 4bbl, requires less fuel pressure than the stock carb, so you must add and in-line fuel restrictor/regulator. No amount of tuning will help until you regulate the fuel pressure.
The Jeep guys like to run a Weber varijet two bbl on their inline sixes. The vertical Weber seems well suited to "tractoring" through the rough stuff. It may be better suited to pickup truck duty.
https://cdn-0.enacademic.com/picture...Dodge_D150.jpg

Landsvw 08-30-2020 03:13 PM

A 5 string Spector bass, used

https://i.ibb.co/VQqH1N5/A1-ADC707-4...D44-B4-CFA.jpg

cheesy 08-30-2020 03:25 PM

O2 sensor for the Jeep.

wheelbender6 09-03-2020 04:35 PM

Snake chaps. Actually, my company bought them and shipped them to me.
-I am going to a job site this weekend where they have seen so many vipers, that snake chaps are required at all times. Really lookin forward to that project.

cheesy 09-05-2020 10:16 PM

I’ll tell you what I bought but you gotta guess what it’s for.

One 4x8 sheet of 1/2” mdf
Eight 8’ 2x4s
2hp Plunge router
30v/10a digital power supply
Four rolls of 1/4” copper tape

Bruces 09-05-2020 10:55 PM

You are building a time machine ? Ok ,how about an electric chair for your fellow employees in the assembly dept ? Ok last guess ,you are making a hole in your bank account ? I actually thought you were building an electrolysis unit ,but you have several things you don’t need for that .

cheesy 09-05-2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruces (Post 345852)
You are building a time machine ? Ok ,how about an electric chair for your fellow employees in the assembly dept ? Ok last guess ,you are making a hole in your bank account ? I actually thought you were building an electrolysis unit ,but you have several things you don’t need for that .

All good choices but no cigar.

Mudflap 09-06-2020 08:23 AM

12 volt electric blanket for the camper. Sojoy brand $22.50 on eBay.

Once in a while there is a cold winter night where I camp in Arizona. I've seen 16 degrees F. I don't leave the propane heater running while sleeping for safety reasons so the electric blanket should keep me from waking up cold during the night.

It has a high, medium, low setting and a shut off timer

cheesy 09-06-2020 04:46 PM

Two more 2x4
Four 1x4x8
Two 1x2x8
One 4x8x1/4 hardboard sheet
One 4x4x1/4 hardboard sheet
150 6x3/4 wood screws

All for the same project as yesterday. Still looking for the answer.;)

bogieboy 09-06-2020 05:02 PM

I gambled $30 on a potentially non working canon rebel xti...LOL

Bruces 09-06-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesy (Post 345892)
Two more 2x4
Four 1x4x8
Two 1x2x8
One 4x8x1/4 hardboard sheet
One 4x4x1/4 hardboard sheet
150 6x3/4 wood screws

All for the same project as yesterday. Still looking for the answer.;)

I was right yesterday ,you are making a hole in your wallet .Today you made it bigger .

cheesy 09-06-2020 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruces (Post 345894)
I was right yesterday ,you are making a hole in your wallet .Today you made it bigger .

You are partially right, Bruce, I am making a hole in my wallet. On the other hand, it’s less than I spend on motorcycles and the DeSoto.

crabjoe 09-06-2020 06:55 PM

I ordered a OEM flyscreen and engine guard for the bike I ordered the other day..

The other day, I ordered a Royal Enfield Continental GT650. Dealer said it would take about two weeks to arrive. I hope this isn't BS like it's been with Chinese powersports products. Because when I ordered the Tao Bull 200 in early May, I was told 2 week then too... and I'm still waiting. I wonder which will get here 1st?

Emerikol 09-06-2020 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabjoe (Post 345901)
I ordered a OEM flyscreen and engine guard for the bike I ordered the other day..

The other day, I ordered a Royal Enfield Continental GT650. Dealer said it would take about two weeks to arrive. I hope this isn't BS like it's been with Chinese powersports products. Because when I ordered the Tao Bull 200 in early May, I was told 2 week then too... and I'm still waiting. I wonder which will get here 1st?

Where did you finally wind up getting your Enfield? Did you make contact with the dealer out here?

Emerikol 09-06-2020 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesy (Post 345898)
You are partially right, Bruce, I am making a hole in my wallet. On the other hand, it’s less than I spend on motorcycles and the DeSoto.

Sounds like a piece of garage/shop furniture. I'm guessing some shelving of some sort.

cheesy 09-06-2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emerikol (Post 345905)
Sounds like a piece of garage/shop furniture. I'm guessing some shelving of some sort.

You’d think that with all the lumber, but nope.

Important clues.

30v/10a power supply. Regulated DC.

Plunge type router.

Copper tape.

4x8 1/2” mdf.

And here’s a new one. It was a bitch to find, but I found one in Utah.

2mm router bit.

Falkon45 09-07-2020 12:45 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202729266799

Got until an offer battle with the seller. Could have gotten it cheaper if I looked for the R1 exhaust first. Oh well, still WAY less than a name brand exhaust.

crabjoe 09-07-2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emerikol (Post 345904)
Where did you finally wind up getting your Enfield? Did you make contact with the dealer out here?

I tried calling that dealer out there and it happened that they were closed. So I never did make contact. I thought about it, then decided that I didn't want to deal with a dealer that I couldn't visit, in case problems popped up, especially during shipping from them to me.

Based on my limited experiences with dealer pricing, I really felt that the pricing was just bait. I couldn't find another instance where the price was anywhere close to what they were advertising. Only thing remotely close was for a demo bike. Even the demo pricing ended up being close to new, once they tacked on all the fees.

I ended up going to my local dealer.. I say local because they're here in MD, but still almost 2 hours away. They're also the only RE dealer in the state, and mostly just a repair shop.

They had 1 Interceptor 650, and I took a friend of mine with me to test ride it. The owner there seemed like a good guy. I asked him to let my friend test ride, and the guy was like.. sure.. License, sign this, and handed over the keys and a plate. He said take it wherever to test ride. He didn't require that anyone from the shop follow or anything.

Pricing wise, he's inline with other dealers in the area, but at the lower size.. maybe $100 better OTD? And the deal was easy. I asked him for his best pricing, and he gave it to me. Asked if he could do better and he said no. Knowing what they're selling for around me helped a lot in knowing if he was telling me the truth. I did ask if he would throw in some fork gaiters and he agreed.

This guy made it easy.. I asked him how much he wanted for a deposit then handed him my credit card. He emailed me a receipt. I then asked if I needed to sign anything and he says, "Nope.. I'll call you once I know the serial number so you can get insurance for it. Then just bring the insurance info and the remainder of the payment, once it gets here." I said that's it? You don't care if I charge the remainder, pay cash or finance? I don't need to sign anything for the order? He said it doesn't matter... so I left.

Other then it being a fair deal, another reason I went with him was that he will handle all the registration and licensing. The other dealers being out of State would mean I would have to go through the hassle of making an appointment with the MVA, which takes about 2 months, or paying an MVA agent to handle it. So it saves me a couple of bucks there and more importantly, it saves me time. The only reason I don't have my motorcycle endorsement is because I had to make an appointment just for them to stamp my license. I made the appointment in Aug, but the earliest they had a time slot was in Oct.. It's rediculas.

Oddball Matt 09-07-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesy (Post 345907)
You’d think that with all the lumber, but nope.

Important clues.

30v/10a power supply. Regulated DC.

Plunge type router.

Copper tape.

4x8 1/2” mdf.

And here’s a new one. It was a bitch to find, but I found one in Utah.

2mm router bit.

Add in a bank of supercapacitors and you got yourself the makings of a railgun :lmao:

cheesy 09-07-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball Matt (Post 345929)
Add in a bank of supercapacitors and you got yourself the makings of a railgun :lmao:

Does AFX help at all?

Bruces 09-07-2020 01:38 PM

Slot car race track for the win !

Emerikol 09-07-2020 01:43 PM

Crabjoe, I don't think that their pricing is clickbait. The reason I say that is because every bike I've seen when I've stopped in was clearly marked with a price, and a couple people I know at work bought bikes from them with no pricing complaints. I will say that the dealership is huge, so they probably make it up on volume. Their main dealership is in Scottsdale. That's a very ritzy part of town. On top of that, out here in this part of the country you can ride well into December, and then you have to put a jacket on. Out there in MD you've got what, four or five months of really decent riding, and then a lot of gear until the roads either ice over or clear? I have family in PA (Around Hazleton; where I-80 and I-81 cross) and I rode up to see them one October. Just about froze to death! Regardless of where you picked up, glad you finally pulled the trigger and have one on the way. Also a very good point about the registration and dealing with the primates at the tag office. Glad it worked out for you! :tup:

cheesy 09-07-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruces (Post 345942)
Slot car race track for the win !

Dingdingdingding.

HO scale, four lane, multiple turn layout. Hope to have the inaugural race this weekend.