ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   ATVs (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Linda's New Quad (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13347)

Weldangrind 01-06-2014 12:52 AM

Linda's New Quad

1 Attachment(s)
Our lovely friend Linda has had a quad in mind for some time, and we found one on the local CL today. It's a 150cc GY6-powered quad with a Kaishan engine. I don't know what year it is, but it is a decent model with the Honda-style rear axle, long front control arms and a planetary-style reverse meachanism (like Kato's new buggy). It lacks the kicker that we have on our GY6-powered quad, so perhaps we can retrofit this one. It would be handy in case the starter quit, since I don't think you can push start a CVT.

Aside from needing a better quality air filter and some general Loctite application, this one is ready to ride. Here's the happy new owner.

Attachment 637

SpudRider 01-06-2014 06:02 AM

Linda looks like a happy girl! :tup:

katoranger 01-06-2014 10:02 AM

Looks like someone has upgraded the rear tires already too.

When I took my CVT apart the gear is on the crank for the kick start. I think you just need to by a few parts. On the buggy the hole for the kickstart shaft is occupied by the exhaust mount.

Weldangrind 01-06-2014 10:17 AM

That's what I figured. I want to take our CVT apart for inspection anyway, so I'll remove the cover on Linda's CVT at the same time and see what the difference is. Maybe I can pick up a kick start-equipped cover on Taobao.

midlifekrisiz 01-06-2014 10:31 AM

lol I sent that add to a friend this morning as he is looking for one for his g/f but i guess he is sol now lol.
we removed the kicker on Kellys GY6 as there isn't enough room to actually kick it over so you are welcome to have the kicker if you can find the proper cover (or we can just swap covers)

Weldangrind 01-06-2014 10:44 AM

Thanks! I'll figure it out after I compare our CVT to hers.

FastDoc 01-06-2014 11:33 AM

looks like a great quad, a happy girl, and a sunny day! The trifecta!

katoranger 01-06-2014 11:55 AM

That garage is way to clean.

Weldangrind 01-06-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastDoc (Post 162160)
looks like a great quad, a happy girl, and a sunny day! The trifecta!

It was a remarkably sunny and dry day; it would have been a perfect day for riding. Linda is thriiled with her new purchase. We hope to get together soon for a ride.

Weldangrind 01-06-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katoranger (Post 162162)
That garage is way to clean.

You noticed. She just moved into a brand new townhouse, so we need to dirty up the garage a bit.

Weldangrind 05-19-2015 02:02 AM

3 Attachment(s)
After considerable procrastination, I finally tore into Linda's quad today. I had dismantled it a couple of months ago and cleaned the carb, but that's as far as I got until now.

I installed the carb and a pod filter, using the original air box boot. I think it'll stay relatively dry, since it's out of the stream of the rear wheels. The bonus is that the filter is now easy to remove.

Attachment 2682

I also removed the CVT cover to inspect the belt (it's fine), and to clean the snorkel filter. Here's the CVT:

Attachment 2683

The snorkel filter was a joke, so I cut a new one out of some bulk Uni filter, and then secured it with a new stainless socket head cap screw and nyloc nut.

Attachment 2684

Weldangrind 05-19-2015 02:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The new snorkel filter is much thicker than the crappy OEM part.

This quad is equipped with a planetary device for reverse, and it's mounted on the output shaft. I drained the goo out of it, and then flushed it a couple of times with Varsol, and then once with gear oil. I then measured 120ml of gear oil and filled it up. This is the vile substance that came out originally:

Attachment 2685

I also drained out the rear gearbox oil, and it wasn't much better. It's now also full of new gear oil.

Weldangrind 05-19-2015 02:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The front brakes were making an alarming clunking noise, and I soon discovered why. The backing plate was not engaged with the spindle as it should be. It is now. Here are before and after shots.

Attachment 2686

Attachment 2687

While I had it apart, I confirmed that the brake shoes have sufficient material left on them, and I lubricated the cables with Maxima Chain Wax. I also snugged up the tie rod ends and greased the ball joints.

Interestingly, this little quad is rather well made. I jacked up the front of the unit and removed a front shock, and then I cycled the front wheel all the way up and down. There is nearly zero bumpsteer, and there is zero bumpsteer within the operating range. I'm impressed.

Weldangrind 05-19-2015 02:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I also found that the chain was way too tight, but at least the PO had replaced the stocker with an RK. I adjusted the chain and then lubed it with Maxima Chain wax.

The swingarm is really well built, and it incorporates a spring loaded chain idler.

Attachment 2688

I'll need to double check the chain tension when Linda is aboard the quad, but it's much better than before.

I also changed the engine oil, and used Mobil 1 synthetic 10W30, since there is no wet clutch to worry about.

Weldangrind 05-19-2015 02:16 AM

My next tasks are to set the valves, procure a large battery and build a box for it and procure and install an inline fuel valve. I can't believe it left the factory without one.

SpudRider 05-19-2015 02:23 AM

Thanks for posting the update with your usual, excellent photographs. :tup: Needless to say, you did a superb job. :)

Weldangrind 05-19-2015 11:32 AM

Thank you.

I ordered a new fuel valve and a pack of filters this morning; they'll be about two weeks from China.

ripcuda 05-19-2015 12:02 PM

Nice pics and good progress. I love pictures of the underpinnings! (there's a joke there somewhere). Almost as good as wrenching on it myself.

Cheers!

Weldangrind 05-19-2015 10:13 PM

Thanks!

I'll be sure to update as parts some in.

Weldangrind 07-09-2015 01:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The petcock took forever to arrive! I started a claim on eBay, but the seller assured me that the valve was en route and would arrive in a few days. It did. I put it in my van, so I remember to grab some new fuel line for it tomorrow. The inlet side is a whopping 3/8".

I also decided to tackle the sloppy bushings on the rear shock. They're the typical inner and outer steel sleeve with a really poor elastomeric material in between. I measured the OD and ID, and determined that the metric measurements happen to be very close to 3/8" ID and 3/4" OD. I bought two sizes of bronze oilite bushings; one was 3/8" ID and 1/2"OD, the other was 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD. I pressed 'em together to make one, then drilled the ID with a letter W drill bit (0.386"), and the 10mm bolt slipped right through. I then cut 'em to length.

I pressed out the old bushings like so:

Attachment 2975

I then wrapped a little bit of Gorilla tape onto the OD of the bushing, and slid it into the shock body, like so:

Attachment 2976

When I have more time, I'll bolt the shock back in, install the new petcock and hose and then adjust the valves. Getting close!

SpudRider 07-09-2015 02:35 AM

The bronze bushings look good. :tup:

Weldangrind 07-09-2015 12:08 PM

Thanks. We'll see how they hold up.

On my old Honda XL250S project, the shock bushings were also wasted, but they were simply an elastomeric rubber over a metal sleeve. All that was left was the sleeve. I discovered that some 1/2" heater hose was a perfect fit for the sleeve and the shock body, so a little grease and a lot of hydraulic pressure conspired to create a fresh bushing. Works for me.

Louis Angel 07-09-2015 07:52 PM

Cool write up on this Weld. First time I have seen it. Great pics too!

Weldangrind 07-10-2015 12:58 AM

Thanks. I hope to post a vid of Linda riding it soon. She has been very patient with me.

dmeredith0015 07-10-2015 01:45 AM

Good stuff weld!!!! Great pictures Im sure all the work will be worth the many smiles on her face!!! :)

Weldangrind 07-11-2015 12:12 PM

Thanks! I hope so, too. Linda is a dear friend of ours, and her happiness is important to me.

midlifekrisiz 07-18-2015 12:43 PM

so when are we all going for a rip bud?
our machines are up and going .......

Weldangrind 07-18-2015 03:06 PM

Some day. I haven't ridden yet this year, and I'm getting very antsy.

Weldangrind 07-20-2015 12:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I got some more work done on the weekend. It was around 95F all weekend, so I didn't do much.

Thanks to Dave for showing us the PW80 petcock, I was able to use that type on Linda's quad. There is a bracket just below the tank that worked out nicely; all I had to do was drill an index hole for the stud that is on the mounting surface of the petcock. That keeps it located with only one screw.

This shot shows the index hole I drilled.

Attachment 3035

This is the mock-up of the valve, and then the final installation.

Attachment 3036

Attachment 3037

The next time I buy filters, I'll choose a 90 degree version for this machine, so the hose doesn't need a radius to connect.

Weldangrind 07-20-2015 12:57 PM

I also finished the other shock bushing installation. The shock is now installed, and the slop in it is gone. Much better. I hope the bronze bushings hold up. If they don't, I'll fabricate something out of rubber and steel.

andyj812 07-20-2015 11:49 PM

On my TAO Tao 150D where are the the gear oil drain and fill screw? are they on the black cover? Are they just to the rear of the black cover (not chain side) I assume the drive belt is behind this cover. Thanks. Great pics by the way.

Weldangrind 07-21-2015 10:49 AM

I don't actually measure the gear oil that I add; I just squirt it into the fill hole until it runs out. This video will answer your questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcuajm9vSbI

andyj812 07-21-2015 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 189122)
I don't actually measure the gear oil that I add; I just squirt it into the fill hole until it runs out. This video will answer your questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcuajm9vSbI

Thank you for the info. I change it today. when I drained it didn't cover the bottom of the drain pan. I didn't realize it had gear oil when I first bought is so it still had the Chinese stuff in it. Its got fresh now. Thanks a bunch for the info.

Weldangrind 07-22-2015 11:12 AM

You're welcome. It might be wise to flush it out with some Varsol as I did.

TurboT 08-16-2015 03:57 AM

Nice looking work there.

Thought I'd pop in and thread bomb.

Weldangrind 08-16-2015 12:44 PM

Sorry, who are you?

:D

TurboT 08-17-2015 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weldangrind (Post 190169)
Sorry, who are you?

:D

http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/d/dc...ke-to-dog.jpeg

Weldangrind 09-24-2015 11:37 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Got the last bit done. Bought an AGM battery from Walmart, and then proceeded to build a box for it. I wanted to stuff the largest battery into the space that I could, since there is no kickstart on this engine (yet).

I had a bunch of flat plate scraps, and was trying to sort out how to weld it to the round tube subframe, without it looking too hillbilly. I decided to notch some 3/4' square tube I have, and weld that to the frame, making it much easier to weld flat plate to.

This is how I notched the square tube.

Attachment 3443

I then welded the bridge into the subframe. This pic shows it mocked-up, ready for welding.

Attachment 3444

I then welded two more pieces of notched square tube to the subframe, and began to stitch some plate to it.

Attachment 3445

This is pretty much the final product. Some grinding and some paint will follow. Forum member AtomicWedgie says he has some rubber mat that I can have for the bottom of the box, to protect the battery from excessive vibration.

Attachment 3446

Weldangrind 09-24-2015 11:47 AM

Linda popped by after work, and she and I put the body back on the frame. She started it up and giggled as she rode it around the back yard several times. She is delighted. :D

The next step is to finish the trailer I'm building for her, and then to haul the whole deal to her place. We can paint everything inside her insanely clean garage, where it will be warm in the winter.

Bubbaz 02-08-2016 10:23 PM

Nice write-up Weld, you know that kinda looks like my yamoto, You might need to take that gearbox apart and weld up the shaft and make it a forward only...lol...Kidding, still have the Yamoto but the starter gave out. where do you guys purchase your parts from I see some real cheap parts but not sure about the website.....and Suggestions?