ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   BD125-2 "Boomcat" (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=24065)

DudeMantia 07-03-2019 12:45 AM

BD125-2 "Boomcat"

1 Attachment(s)
These popped up on Saferwholesale within the last few months in the California approved section.
There is Fairly any plastics on it, and it has a different engine design compared to the Taotao Hellcat.

finally a street bike that isn't a grom clone in CA :clap:

Heres the link to the bike
http://www.saferwholesale.com/125cc-...dt-bd125-2.htm

It rides slightly higher than the other 125 and has a more throaty sounding exhaust.

Unboxing photos to follow

DudeMantia 07-03-2019 12:51 AM

Unboxing photos

2 Attachment(s)
drum brakes front and rear

DudeMantia 07-03-2019 12:55 AM

Unboxing photos

2 Attachment(s)
some more pics

DudeMantia 07-03-2019 01:00 AM

Unboxing photos

1 Attachment(s)
front fender was shipped tucked under rear wheel.
caused some paint damage on a rolled edge but nothing really terrible.

Hellkitty 07-03-2019 01:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cool looking bike. Looks a lot like the Honda CL70 my dad had.

JerryHawk250 07-03-2019 07:29 AM

Good looking bike. :tup:

DudeMantia 07-06-2019 05:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
all assembled now

DudeMantia 07-06-2019 05:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
here's some pics of this part I haven't seen before.
Maybe apart of the emissions control?

Hellkitty 07-06-2019 02:12 PM

That is an EGR system that recirculates some of the exhaust gases back into the intake, most of the guys here with the Boom Vaders and other bikes with EGR's usually block it off with a plate, I'm no sure how its done, maybe someone will weigh in.
Looking forward to hearing some ride reports from you!

pete 07-07-2019 06:19 AM

Looks like a Honda Win .. minus the side panels.. come in 100cc / 120cc...
very popular in Cambodia and Loas...

scoot newb 07-07-2019 05:13 PM

It looks like the 190 could bolt right up.

Adjuster 07-08-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DudeMantia (Post 313427)
These popped up on Saferwholesale within the last few months in the California approved section.
There is Fairly any plastics on it, and it has a different engine design compared to the Taotao Hellcat.

finally a street bike that isn't a grom clone in CA :clap:

Heres the link to the bike
http://www.saferwholesale.com/125cc-...dt-bd125-2.htm

It rides slightly higher than the other 125 and has a more throaty sounding exhaust.

Unboxing photos to follow

Very cool! I believe I essentially have this same bike but in a slightly different configuration. Can you do me a favor and post the numbers off the rear rim and tire? I need to know the rim size and the tire size. Also did you get any information on ordering parts? I may need to order a new rear rim from this bike manufacturer. Thanks for the help!

/

japroios 07-10-2019 03:38 PM

Hi,
I was wondering how this bike is working out.
Would you recommend it?
Thanks,
John

wheelbender6 07-11-2019 09:44 PM

"I was wondering how this bike is working out.
Would you recommend it?"

Me too. Good bit cheaper than a K-Pipe. It will be interesting to hear from somebody that has ridden both.

DudeMantia 07-13-2019 12:47 AM

Tried to start it after 2 days of storage, and have had troubles with the stock PZ20 carburetor since day one.

Today I put a new better quality one on and it not only fixed the fuel flow issue I was experiencing, it gave a significant boost like the other 125 engines.

I have never experienced wheelies on my Hellcat at all. I just assumed it was because of my weight class, and poor knowledge on how it works.
After riding this BD125-2 for a while I know now it loves to wheelie when I take off from stops, even with the stock PZ20 carb! It must be because the riding position is right over the rear wheel.

the metal body is very pleasing to the eye in the sun, up close it has obvious seams showing that it was built with some sort of sub frame with a "decorative" steel outer shell.
It is very light, much lighter than the Hellcat.

with the stock carb I got it comfortably to 55-58 mph
Upgraded carb will push 60+ but it vibrates uncomfortably at very high speeds

the forward facing horn actually gets peoples attention

One big issue I cant fix yet is im riding and the front wheel feels like its going over a bunch of tiny bumps constantly. I haven't ridden much with spoked wheels, should I get them checked out?

front hand brake is able to pull all the way to the bar, probably just needs proper adjusting unless thats normal.

Will drop some pictures tomorrow

If you want a 125 that isn't "sporty" looking in the modern sense I recommend this bike. big + for it being on the CA approved list.

wheelbender6 07-13-2019 02:38 PM

Kool. I would have never expected that bike to be a wheelie machine. From your description, the boomcat is well worth the money.
It looks just like the 1969 Honda S90 I owned a while back. A new boomcat costs far less than restoring a similar Honda.

superduder 07-19-2019 06:11 AM

Agreed on the S90 lookalike,
I was going to be shopping for an S65 (Having sold Blue :( )
and go through the Not exactly easy task of doing a 125 swap.
Well now, Having found out about this there's no need to cut up a classic.
And it's cheaper than doing the swap, Win/Win!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelbender6 (Post 314122)
Kool. I would have never expected that bike to be a wheelie machine. From your description, the boomcat is well worth the money.
It looks just like the 1969 Honda S90 I owned a while back. A new boomcat costs far less than restoring a similar Honda.

Azhule 07-19-2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DudeMantia (Post 314105)
One big issue I cant fix yet is im riding and the front wheel feels like its going over a bunch of tiny bumps constantly. I haven't ridden much with spoked wheels, should I get them checked out?

A few places to start if you suspect the "spoked wheel" is the issue

First "True" the wheel if it has never been done (or recheck spoke torque if it has been "Trued" before many miles ago), some "Ride-On" tire balance/sealant foam or Balancing Beads might help if the tire/wheel is heavy in certain spots, maybe check/replace the wheel bearing(s) with a good quality one(s) if they are cheapos and or already have little to no grease packed in them

2LZ 07-22-2019 03:55 PM

So, no problems plating it at DMV???? I'm always leery when the websites say CARB Approved. Sometimes that's only green or red sticker for dirt.....but they don't tell you that.

culcune 07-23-2019 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoot newb (Post 313742)
It looks like the 190 could bolt right up.

Don't quote me, but when I went to Kronik Racing several weeks ago, they had one of these, and the owner mentioned that the 190 wouldn't clear the front wheel. But again, don't quote me because I cannot recall if we discussed an engine swap for this bike. The owner would be one to call, however, about a 190 swap. I do remember that there was an Amstar 49 (the one that looks like a moped) with a 190 in it that Kronik was building for a customer.

DudeMantia 07-23-2019 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 314534)
So, no problems plating it at DMV???? I'm always leery when the websites say CARB Approved. Sometimes that's only green or red sticker for dirt.....but they don't tell you that.

when I spoke with the rep at saferwholesale they said yes, it is able to be registered for on road use in California.
I just need to fill out a REG 343 form and bring it along with my MSO

I'll update any issues with DMV bureaucracy

text from dmv website*

When a new vehicle is sold by other than a California dealer and the vehicle has never been registered or titled in any state or country, the following are required:
  • A properly completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343).
  • The Manufacturer's Certificate/Statement of Origin (MCO/MSO) properly endorsed to the purchaser. Bills of Sale are acceptable in lieu of endorsement(s) on the MCO/MSO.
  • A vehicle verification, unless the vehicle qualifies for a verification exception (see below).
  • Weight Certificate for a commercial vehicles less than 10, 001 pounds unladen.
  • If the vehicle weights 10,000 lbs or more, or is a trailer in the PTI program, the estimated unladen weight is required and may be shown on a Statement of Facts (REG 256).
  • Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (REG 4008).
  • Completed and signed by the owner for a commercial vehicle weighing 6001 pounds or more unladen (not required for pickups).
  • A smog certification, if appropriate.
  • The fees due from date of first use in California.

grumpyunk 11-25-2019 09:54 PM

Dude:

If you are still feeling the 'pebbles' from the front wheel, try propping the bike up so the front wheel is off the ground. With the wheel free to rotate, turn the whee, and feel for roughness in the bearings. If the bearings got damaged, such as by being assembled w/o lube, or by impact(no idea where), you might feel a grating and rough bearing as you turn the whee. If so, replacement bearings are the likely solution. You may be able to get them from Ace Hardware, Fastenal, etc, Fastenal will ship to a local store at very low cost, and they have many sizes in stock. The rim could have runout in both radial and lateral directions, but you would again have to get it off the ground, set up a fixed pointer, and spin it while watching for variance in the gap between rim and pointer. A filled can(soup or a peanut butter jar filled with water can act as a stable base, and a pencil and masking tape can hold the pointer pretty well at low cost. If you have radial or lateral runout, you can 'true' the wheel by adjusting spoke tension. It is not hard, but you have to get a feel for it.
I always wanted a honda 90 or even a 50, and getting a 125 with the same classic appearance is appealing. Unless you do a lot of heavy braking, the drum brakes should be totally adequate, IMO.
Has that been your experience? From what I have read, this is the same engine as on the other BD125-xx Grom type machines. Is it reputed to be pretty decent, or would it be better to keep looking? I am pretty mechanically inclined, so have no maintenance fears except parts sources.
Also check that the tire pressure is good. That designe tread will tend to ripple or warp if the pressure is low, and the longish blocks of tread will tend to wear the front edge and get all rippled if the pressure is not kept up. That can give buzzy feeling also.
Would you buy it again?
tom

Psomniferum 01-10-2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LZ (Post 314534)

While I don't have a BoomCat 125, my Venom x22 (BD 125-11 in light disguise) runs the EXACT same engine. The inspector could barely be kept awake when he was registering my bike. He wrote down it was a CBR125. I told him it was a Chinese knock-off of a CBR. He acknowledged me, but when I got my pink in the mail, it read as a CBR125!
Anyways, my bike w/ this EXACT engine passed inspection w/ flying colors! I don't believe the BoomCat would pose any problem.

Rangerscott 02-22-2020 10:47 PM

I believe Im going to order one of these. By time I restore my Honda Cl70 I'll be way more into it money wise.

This thing is setup for 12v with everything needed. I'll just register it then pop in my ZS190 engine. Lol

Hey dudemantia, could you see what the distance is between the engine head to the front tire fender.

Also how are the brakes at stopping? I know drums aren't the best.

culcune 02-23-2020 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 329291)
I believe Im going to order one of these. By time I restore my Honda Cl70 I'll be way more into it money wise.

This thing is setup for 12v with everything needed. I'll just register it then pop in my ZS190 engine. Lol

Hey dudemantia, could you see what the distance is between the engine head to the front tire fender.

Also how are the brakes at stopping? I know drums aren't the best.

Contact Pete at Kronik Racing in Simi Valley, Cal. for a few reasons. First he is a very good dealer. Second, he is very knowledgeable about Chinese horizontal thumpers since Kronik was originally primarily a pit bike race shop and then he started selling the Baodiao/Boom lineup. Third, he has low prices. Fourth, parts. He has replacement parts all day long, and being in and out of Boom's warehouse a few times a week can obtain MORE parts. Last, as far as performance parts go, he has them and knows what works. If you research Kronik Racing, you will find nothing but good things written about him.

Www.kronikracing.com

Rangerscott 02-24-2020 01:10 PM

I wish I could order it as a rolling chassis. The stock engine is a waste. Im pretty sure I dont need it to register for road use here in Texas.

Im gonna be honest, who ever has the best price is who I'll order from. These bikes are a quarter on the dollar. Its not worth $1300 so I'll play the waiting game.

felixaj 03-03-2020 07:26 PM

Wife bought me one for Christmas. No issues registering it in Michigan. It comes with an un-signed Cert of Origin so make sure you get a signed one. Had to replace the carb with a different PZ20 from Amazon and it runs great now. Also took off all the extra EGR/PAIR stuff or whatever it's called and pulled out the old air intake filter box and just used the cone filter that came with the carb.

stripcheese 03-23-2020 03:21 PM

After having the bike for a bit, do you think that its a good buy?

felixaj 03-31-2020 07:07 PM

I haven't had a chance to really ride it yet because of the weather but seemed ok around the neighborhood. I added CL70 fork boots and made it look a little better. I also put the original carb and air system back on because i didn't have a good way to vent the tank. Not sure why, but idles a lot better now, but did notice there is no fuel/air adjustment on the carb - only the idle adjustment. I would say it's pretty decent for the price at $1099.

Shmerlin 04-11-2020 07:29 PM

Have one on order from Amazon of all places, has anyone tried to mount a saddle bag on the bike and if so any difficulties?

Rangerscott 04-11-2020 08:51 PM

Found the best price here.

https://www.powersportsmax.com/produ...ducts_id/22422

Look at the order 1 price, not the red price. It still pulls up at $769 price. Shipping is $200.

Shmerlin 04-26-2020 11:02 PM

Got the bike, happy with it, gets up to sustained 50mph for me on side roads. Only problem I have had is the rear turn signal mounts were over tightened and a have cracked. The signals themselves work fine, but the right side rear dangles loose and i've had to MacGyver it into place. Also, the tax offices are closed right now so I'm not able to register it and ride it fully legal. LOL. That being said, I've already got my eye out for a bigger bike, but for now this will do.

superduder 04-27-2020 03:30 AM

Alright, Placed the order...
I am now $1100 poorer and hopefully soon one bike richer.
We'll see how this goes,
The panda left some pretty big shoes to fill (for a mini trail).

Rangerscott 04-28-2020 12:39 AM

I plan on getting this, swapping in the zs190 I have in box and also getting that red 250cc cafe bike.

maloburro 04-28-2020 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superduder (Post 335205)
Alright, Placed the order...
I am now $1100 poorer and hopefully soon one bike richer.
We'll see how this goes,
The panda left some pretty big shoes to fill (for a mini trail).

Hey Superduder, where did you get yours at?

I am really interested in these as well. Not much YouTube footage on these.

Keep us posted, thanks.

maloburro 04-28-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shmerlin (Post 335195)
Got the bike, happy with it, gets up to sustained 50mph for me on side roads. Only problem I have had is the rear turn signal mounts were over tightened and a have cracked. The signals themselves work fine, but the right side rear dangles loose and i've had to MacGyver it into place. Also, the tax offices are closed right now so I'm not able to register it and ride it fully legal. LOL. That being said, I've already got my eye out for a bigger bike, but for now this will do.

Any other feedback since you've had it a few days now? I've been looking for something like a trail bike for the back of an RV.

culcune 04-28-2020 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 335300)
I plan on getting this, swapping in the zs190 I have in box and also getting that red 250cc cafe bike.

Months back, I stopped in at Kronik Racing, and we discussed a 190 swap into a Boomcat, and he said there is not enough clearance, unlike the Vaders, for such a swap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maloburro (Post 335351)
Any other feedback since you've had it a few days now? I've been looking for something like a trail bike for the back of an RV.

Try Kronik Racing. Pete is a standup guy, and his prices are very competitive. He has both the Boomcat and the CT70 clone.
https://www.kronikracing.com/Scooters.html

Shmerlin 04-29-2020 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maloburro (Post 335351)

I'm still enjoying it, I've only put around 50 miles on it just using some of the smaller neighborhood roads as I still can't take it out on main streets with the DMV's being closed.

Some of the things that I have noticed about the bike is that while the engine is pretty quiet, the bike does rattle depending on how much throttle its being given and the rear shocks are squeaky. I haven't been able to run down exactly what is causing the rattling yet but I am determined.

I don't know that I would recommend this as a Daily Commuter bike for anyone that has to travel on roads with higher speeds. My main stretch to get to work has a speed limit of 50mph, but most people are traveling go at least 60-65mph. Not being able to keep up with traffic on that road would likely not be the safest thing in the world. That being said, anything that is 40-45mph or less would probably be ok.

One additional thing I do like about the bike is that it is really light, its easy enough to pick up and swing around the rear end if I need to. Also, the bike has a regular kick stand and a mechanic stand, which makes storing it a little bit easier (for me at least) in our garage. I'll try to post some pictures or videos up later

I will fully admit, I haven't had as much time to run down the issues on the bike as I'd like because work has been a little crazy. I still want to take it to an actual mechanic to give it a once over just to be on the safe side.

culcune 04-29-2020 04:59 AM

Rattling on the Chinese dual-sports tends to be from the exhaust heat shield. I would start there. It usually sounds worse than it is.

superduder 04-29-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maloburro (Post 335350)
Hey Superduder, where did you get yours at?

I am really interested in these as well. Not much YouTube footage on these.

Keep us posted, thanks.

Ordered from Kronik, Who apparently sold out of them, and refunded me.
Thanks Pete!
So back to my banishment to Craigslist I guess.
Still gonna get one once they're back in stock though.
Later Y'all,
Duder