ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   Zongshen RX4 (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   CSC RX4 Modification's and other Farkles (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=26710)

iswearimstock 06-18-2020 10:01 PM

CSC RX4 Modification's and other Farkles

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys I just wanted to start a thread on what people have done to their RX4s. Things like Farkles, OEM Upgrades and other general things to make your Mid-range ADV more capable. I'll Start with myself.

I'm the proud owner of a CSC RX4. Here is my list of Farkles.
OEM Upgrades:
4mm CSC Skid plate.
4 Pack of a connectors

Installed aftermarket Farkles:
Rox Speed FX 2" Risers
TUSK Chub 1 1/8 YZ bend Handlebars (Much Better)
Amazon Acerbis clone Bark Busters.
Garmin Zumo 396 lm GPS (love it)
BMW 1200 GS Headlight Grill (modified to fit)
Dual Nilight 4" Spot lights with stainless Steel Latching Switch
Stainless Steel Momentary ABS Control Switch
Seat Concepts Tall Seat
OEM Zongshen Round Dragon Badges
GS-100A Tail Light Flasher Module
Universal Amazon Clamp Style Cruise Control

Not Installed Yet But Already Purchased Farkles:
RK Chain GB530XSOZ 1 108 link X-Ring Gold Chain
Universal Windshield Extension (Has not arrived Yet)
Crash Bar Cup Holder (Has not arrived yet)
X2 Waterproof 20L bags to bungee on panniers (Has not arrived yet)
X2 1 Gallon Rotopax clone with Hardware (Has not arrived yet)
Ram Mounts X-Mount Handlebar Phone Holder (Has not arrived yet)
Billet Adjustable Brake and Clutch Levers (Has not arrived yet)

Upgrades Not Yet Purchased But Will Very soon:
Tourfella Pannier with rack set
Outex Tubeless Tape System
Sheepskin Seat pads
Double Take ADV Mirrors

I'm also trying my best to source the 2021 Zongshen ZS500GY Tubeless OEM Rims. I found someone who can get them but he needs more buyers so he can ship freight it. Otherwise DHL would be about $200 per wheel.

Chris_Top_Her 06-20-2020 02:31 PM

Still waiting on mine.. shipped last saturday

Ninjaguy23 06-20-2020 05:19 PM

I love the orange & black color scheme. I own a couple KTMs. Might be a lil partial??
How much $ was your RX4 to your door?? Did you buy it online or from a local dealer??
Cheers & good luck with it!!

iswearimstock 06-20-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjaguy23 (Post 341072)
I love the orange & black color scheme. I own a couple KTMs. Might be a lil partial??
How much $ was your RX4 to your door?? Did you buy it online or from a local dealer??
Cheers & good luck with it!!

It was about $5600 delivered with the Skid plate installed. The DMV violated me for $500 though �� damn it Uncle Sam.. I ordered online. They are literally on the other side of the USA. I'm in Florida.

Ninjaguy23 06-20-2020 09:29 PM

Can’t escape the tax man!
Who did you purchase yours from?

I want a new Adventure bike I can’t afford a BMW GS right now.
The RX4 is affordable & looks like it can get the job done. I’m keeping my eyes peeled for a clean used model. Might even consider an RX3.
Thanks for the info!!

pyoungbl 06-20-2020 09:56 PM

The only way to buy a new RX3 or RX4 is direct from CSC. There are no dealers, can only buy direct. That eliminates all the 'hidden cost' that come with buying through a dealer. You know exactly what the OTD cost will be. Taxes and registration fees are unavoidable go to the state, not the dealer.. They vary state to state.

iswearimstock 06-21-2020 10:23 AM

Yup taxes are taxes. You can find RX3s used anywhere between $2500-3k. I haven't seen any RX4s for sale outside from the ones that people buy to part out and they keep the engine for some other project. I'm about to hit the 500 mile marker. going to do my first oil change I already ordered the Outex tubeless kit to make for easy flat repair and long distance reliability. already changed the chain to a gold X-Ring chain from RK. The engine idles weird, that's the only complaint I have about it. People say it gets better after the break-in., That and sometimes it just randomly stalls when you turn it on. aside from those two issues it's a very solid bike. Obviously I recommend changing things like the chain, handlebars, adding bark Busters ect.

wheelbender6 06-21-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjaguy23 (Post 341095)
Can’t escape the tax man!
Who did you purchase yours from?

I want a new Adventure bike I can’t afford a BMW GS right now.
The RX4 is affordable & looks like it can get the job done. I’m keeping my eyes peeled for a clean used model. Might even consider an RX3.
Thanks for the info!!

Sounds like so much fun to go out on an RX4 and run circles around KLRs and GS650s on the pavement.

G19Tony 06-21-2020 11:53 AM

How did you get the GPS under the windshield?

iswearimstock 06-21-2020 02:07 PM

I got a angle ram ball adapter from Amazon. 9mm hole.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012TRIY4...p_mob_ap_share
I just removed the knob on the windshield adjustment screw. Everything fit good after that

Chris_Top_Her 06-23-2020 03:45 AM

Where did you mount your abs button? I saw a video on YouTube where they seemed to have the button on a mount presumably installed by csc(didn't work tho). 2:16
https://youtu.be/HP9OjCb7y5g

pyoungbl 06-23-2020 09:53 AM

My ABS button is mounted on the bracket supplied by CSC, seems to work just fine. Evidently the switch can be installed two ways. One way requires the bike to be stopped to disable the ABS, the other way works while the bike is rolling.

iswearimstock 06-23-2020 04:04 PM

The ABS requires a secret handshake. You flip the switch on while the bike is on, wait for the ABS light to blink twice, then you turn the switch off. after that you're going to see a constant blinking from the ABS about one blink a second. ABS is now turned off. To turn ABS back on you have to turn the bike off, then turn it back on. I ended up going with a momentary switch since it's easier than a toggle switch. I bought the stainless steel one on Amazon. The switch has 3 wires but I only connected two since I don't need the light.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082F3XVL7...p_mob_ap_share

Chris_Top_Her 07-16-2020 02:03 AM

How do you feel about first gear? I have to always have to be very careful it will stall. Ss a new rider, makes me less confident in traffic. Would a increase tooth rear sprocket help this?

pyoungbl 07-16-2020 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her (Post 342798)
How do you feel about first gear? I have to always have to be very careful it will stall. Ss a new rider, makes me less confident in traffic. Would a increase tooth rear sprocket help this?

An increase in rear sprocket size would give you more torque so, yes, it would help if you are worried about stalling. When you find some sprocket options please post that info. In the meantime I'd recommend getting used to feeding in more throttle and slipping the clutch to get started. You won't be hurting the clutch (don't overdo it!).

Working_ZS 07-16-2020 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her (Post 342798)

First gear is fine; much better than what the RX3 comes with, in my opinion.

I wouldn't bother with a larger rear sprocket. Your problem is simply inexperience on a motorcycle. What will help is practice - lots of practice, in a parking lot, out of traffic. It always helps to blip the throttle just before feeding in some clutch, to get the engine revs up and avoid stalling it. It's that same annoying thing (to car drivers, anyway) that you are always seeing motorcyclists do at traffic lights that they are waiting for. Find an empty parking lot and start doing start from a stop drills. Stop, give the throttle a quick, short twist and give it some clutch to get going. Come to a stop and do it again. It will come pretty quick, once you get the hang and feel of the controls on the bike.

wheelbender6 07-17-2020 10:35 AM

I watched a video testing an RX4 vs Himalayan. That video tester complained more about the feel of the clutch at low speeds in the rock gardens.
- Because the RX4 is marketed as an ADV bike, rather than than a dual sport, I dont think the absence of a low first gear is a big surprise.
- The Hima chugged through the rock gardens better, but fell way short in street performance.
- Two very different animals.

Math Teacher 07-17-2020 07:56 PM

Approaching 5,000 miles now on the RX4. Not thinking about more farkles now, thinking about the first valve adjustment and maybe a new rear tire soon. It is running great and makes my commute to work lots of fun. I did all of the valve adjustments to my RX3 and hated it each time. It came out great, just I hated stripping down the bike just to get access to the valves. I am not looking forward to doing this on the RX4, but I hope to find time in the next few weeks.

pyoungbl 07-18-2020 12:25 PM

Math Teacher, the RX4 valve check is much easier than on the RX3. In particular, it was a super PITA to get to the exhaust valves on my RX3 due to the frame support and how the radiators were placed. Yes, you need to remove all the body plastic. That's a 5 minute job once you have the sequence down. Then you must remove a cast aluminum support so you can pull the valve cover out the left side. No more worries about installing the valve covers upside down (BTDT). Access is just so much better!

You must be the RX4 high mileage champ. It sounds like you and the bike have bonded. Congratulations.

Peter Y.

Chris_Top_Her 07-20-2020 04:15 AM

Going toi have to call CSC today. Pretty sure my radiator fan doesnt engage. Bike will be idling with the colander bars st 5 and flashing, fan never turns on. Then it jumped from 5 bars to 3 while riding and cooling down..

pyoungbl 07-20-2020 10:18 AM

RE the cooling fan...have you determined if the problem is the sensor, not the fan?

Working_ZS 07-20-2020 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her (Post 343026)
Going toi have to call CSC today. Pretty sure my radiator fan doesnt engage. Bike will be idling with the colander bars st 5 and flashing, fan never turns on. Then it jumped from 5 bars to 3 while riding and cooling down..

First thing to do is check your coolant level, both in the overflow tank and in the radiator itself. All the fans in the world won't help if there isn't enough coolant in the system.

If the coolant level checks out, unplug the radiator fan's connection to the coolant switch in the radiator and jump the pins in the fan's connector to 12V and ground with jumper wires or a PowerProbe. If it kicks on, then you know that the fan is OK; if it doesn't, check the two pins in the connector with a multimeter set to ohms. This will check for any opens in the fan motor windings. It should not have any resistance, hence continuity or zero ohms should be shown on the multimeter.

Next check out the coolant switch in the radiator with a multimeter still set to measure ohms. It should be open with the coolant cold; when the coolant warms up it should close and zero out the resistance and turn on the fan. If the switch does not close when the coolant temp is at 4 bars, then it is definitely bad.

Chris_Top_Her 07-20-2020 11:49 PM

I checked the coolant t, will need to check the sensor

2LZ 07-21-2020 11:14 AM

The right side fans on both my RX3's was barely touching the radiator and not allowing them to turn. One shim (nut) fixed the problem. May want to check that also.

Chris_Top_Her 08-07-2020 03:46 AM

Went to a shop under warranty. Fan switch is being replaced.

Working_ZS 08-07-2020 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her (Post 344113)
Went to a shop under warranty. Fan switch is being replaced.

Good to hear. Chalk up another one for CSC and their 2 year warranty; doing what what they say it will - providing parts and service on a Chinese manufactured motorcycle sold here in the USA.

This and other instances seems to put paid to the critics who claimed that no one would work on a Chinese bike that needed service. Despite all the hoopla and hand wringing, shops that they said would never touch a Chinese motorcycle seem to be more than willing to do the work when given the opportunity. Granted, these past five years they haven't had a whole lot of opportunities, considering how reliable the RX3, TT250 and other CSC bikes have proven themselves to be, but still. Folks seem to slowly be coming around to the fact that the Chinese are here and they are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Deckard_Cain 08-07-2020 10:51 AM

I'm half-tempted to buy a CSC SG250 for putzing around town just because CSC seems like awesome people.

pyoungbl 08-07-2020 04:19 PM

I had a TT250 for a short while, basically an off road version of the SG250. That 230cc lump would be perfect for putting around town, particularly in an area where you don't have to deal with heavy traffic and 60 mph speeds. Running errands, getting a haircut or even just a spin out of town on country roads...the SG250 will be a great choice. It's a dead simple design and about a bazillion copies of that basic Honda engine have proven themselves around the world.

Working_ZS 08-07-2020 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deckard_Cain (Post 344125)
I'm half-tempted to buy a CSC SG250 for putzing around town just because CSC seems like awesome people.

An SG250 or TT250 make awesome around town errand bikes. If you need to do short stretches of highway, consider a 45 tooth rear sprocket, to calm down the engine revs.

Just an FYI - the 2019 and onwards SG250 has undergone several upgrades since the Revzilla review. Basically everything that they complained about has been improved, apart from the big ass rear brake lever. It now has an LED headlamp, upside down forks, disc brake in the rear in place of the drum brake on their review bike, and an all stainless steel exhaust instead of the black painted steel on the 2018 model. Zhongshen also replaced the two pod mechanical gauges with a single pod LCD set up. The chain is still a non o-ring design, so very short life. I would cut it off and replace it with a good EK, RK or D.I.D. brand 428 chain as soon as I got it. That's what I did on my TT250 and I haven't had any issues with it, which is the way I like things.

Chris_Top_Her 08-19-2020 01:04 AM

I saw a headlight grille for the RX4 (ZSGY500) on AliEpxress a while back. I've been trying to find it again because I didn't save it. Iswearimstock said he modified a bmw grlle, but O know a saw a rx4 guard

Found it: about 80 shipped. I'm asking the seller for a side pic to see how it mounts. https://m.aliexpress.com/item/400100...ou_829771782.0

Chris_Top_Her 08-19-2020 08:39 AM

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...58&oe=5F61BE3F

BenM 08-20-2020 12:34 AM

Hey All, I've been lurking for forever, finally made an account.

Question: Does anyone know of an alternative rear brake foot lever that can be mounted on the RX4? Looking for something with teeth or something like that.

Working_ZS 08-20-2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenM (Post 344790)
Hey All, I've been lurking for forever, finally made an account.

Question: Does anyone know of an alternative rear brake foot lever that can be mounted on the RX4? Looking for something with teeth or something like that.

I'm not aware of anything specific that is available for the RX4, or of any part numbers that cross reference from another bike; however, the lever is made of steel, which makes it fairly easy to cut off the existing lever and weld on something else more to your liking. This assumes that you have access to the necessary tools, such as an oxyacetylene torch, plasma cutter, hand grinder with a cut-off wheel, or a bandsaw for doing the cutting and a small MIG or stick welder; if you don't you could always take it to a welding fabrication shop and have them do it for you, but it will definitely set you back more than than doing it yourself or buying something off the shelf.

Chris_Top_Her 08-21-2020 12:00 AM

Really, I've been looking for a center stand. Maybe the stand is a copy of a bmw but I can't examine it right now because my bike is in the shop. Also I was advised that the seller selling the grille is flaky, and raised the price greatly. I was suggested to use a BMW 1200 gs grille which can be cheaply had.

pyoungbl 08-21-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her (Post 344879)
Really, I've been looking for a center stand.

Any center stands I have ever encountered were mounted to the motorcycle frame. Maybe you can rig up a stand that mounts on the tabs used for the bash plate. I think it will turn out to be an either-or situation. Either you have a bash plate or the centerstand...not both. I have not tried to figure out the balance point for the bike so you'd have to look at that too for maximum utility. The cradle that extends under the engine is made of what appear to be 13mm tubes, not sure how strong they will be in this application. CSC sells a rear stand that is useful in the shop but certainly not portable.

Peter Y.

Math Teacher 11-21-2020 01:07 PM

RX4 is useful

1 Attachment(s)
My RX4 has proven to be a useful motorcycle.
Used for commuting and hauling around stuff.
I used the RX4 to transport solar panels from
here to there for some ham radio field event.
Just over 5,000 miles now and will be doing
the first valve adjustment during Thanksgiving.

db_moto 09-14-2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her (Post 344879)
Really, I've been looking for a center stand. Maybe the stand is a copy of a bmw but I can't examine it right now because my bike is in the shop. Also I was advised that the seller selling the grille is flaky, and raised the price greatly. I was suggested to use a BMW 1200 gs grille which can be cheaply had.

Let me know if you find anything that works. I could probably fabricate something if I was sufficiently motivated. I would prefer to have a center stand.

Bob Kelly 04-01-2022 09:59 AM

LOL my wife talked me into a Blue one .... but I wish I had stuck with the Yellow.... oh well
.... I've done alot to mine even though I only have 77 miles on it....
it's a Blue CSCRX4 2021 model and it was too tall for me to be coumfortable on it
...so I lowered it ( i have a 30" inseam)
I got some handle bar risers the ones that pivot in the bar clamps.and moved the handle bars back a little so I could raise the front forks in the tripple trees 2"
then took out all the preload in the rear spring and locked the nuts at the top of the shock that dropped the back by 2"
so NOW i can sit on the bike and touch flat footed with both feet !
.....that is a must do in my view, tall bikes are a hazard to you and the bike !
..... I bought some barkBuster type hand guards for $37.00 on Amazon and put them on and love them.... also got the wide, bigger foot pegs on there and my feet do not slip
they stay where I put them ! ( even with the hard suspension)
Now I just need some miles on it to finish breaking it in !
Bob......

wheelbender6 04-02-2022 08:15 PM

I hate riding a bike that is too tall for me in traffic light-to-traffic light traffic. Eventually gives me muscle clamps.
Can you post some pics of how you lowered the rear suspension of the RX4?
Seat height is one of the main reasons I haven't bought an RX4 (or KLR, DR650, etc)

Bob Kelly 04-30-2022 07:30 AM

I concur with the Idles funny and periodically stalls for no reason... it did that today on me
had to turn over 3 times before it restarted.... not normal usually it only makes a half revolution to start ! kind'a strange !
I've had no trouble with starting out in first... in fact I started out in 2nd today like an idiot ! LOL I thought it was in 1st but it wasn't ! LOL
But I am used to feathering the clutch too.... you do need to give the bike quite a bit of gas as your letting the clutch out....it's a heavy bike !
On my bike I've done quite a bit of changing stuff....
.... Amazon bark busters like hand guards
.... Kwick Loc phone mount
.... made a pole/winch to lift up the bike for me if I can't lift it up
.... Added a nice thick crash plate under the engine that I had for a XR650L used the plastic skid plate as
a pattern drilled 4 holes and it mounted up fine... I had to dent the one side to clear the exhaust pipe
better but it works great and looks good too.
.... Lowered the front and rear 2"
.... handle bar risers that pivot in the old mounting spot
( had to do that to lower the front)
.... just put on a rear spring and had to take it back off because it didn't fit....so I still
have that hard rear spring on it, which I will change when I find a suitable spring !
.... Lowered the pressure in the tires to where the dash warns me about it....(i had to
do something to soften the ride it was beating me to death!)
.... I let some pressure out of the rear air shock down to about 30 lbs it still rides too
hard but I can feel that it's a little better !
.... adjusted the forks and rear shock to the fastest setting possible.
.... I read the numbers on the temp gauge now sense the gauge hovers one bar from
the top all the time !
I have the bike just about where I want it now, with the exception of the RIDEwhich is way to stiff in the rear and maybe steeper final gearing to drop the RPM's at 70mph
but other than that it seems to be a great bike ! I highly recommend it only 130 miles or so on it so far but it is warming up outside a bit so soon I'll get more miles on
"Miss piggy" LOL
Bob......