ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   ATVs (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Carb/Throttle (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=19328)

barnold 06-12-2017 08:52 AM

Carb/Throttle

My son complained about the thumb throttle being hard to use, so i switched to a twist. After a full weekend of riding, he was still complaining about the amount of force needed to twist the throttle, he rode many other thumb and twist machines during the weekend and did not complain about the force on them. is there anything I can do to make it easier, maybe a new/ different style carb. Falcon 150 GY6 style motor

rvl8rida 06-12-2017 09:00 AM

I feel like you could shorten the spring on top of the slide as long as the slide closes consistently. I would order a replacement spring for your carb just in case before you do the work.

barnold 06-12-2017 09:27 AM

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1N1v1L...ER-GO-KART.jpg

this is what my carb looks like, I do not think i have a top spring

Snoking 06-12-2017 09:37 AM

Maybe the return spring visible on the left is wound to tight?

JerryHawk250 06-12-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoking (Post 259043)
Maybe the return spring visible on the left is wound to tight?

That's what i'm thinking too. may have been assembled wit an extra wrap on the spring. Have you tried operating it manually at the carb to see if it had any resistance as in being tight and not just spring tension?

barnold 06-12-2017 10:57 AM

it is still really tight when I operate it at the carb

JerryHawk250 06-12-2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnold (Post 259049)
it is still really tight when I operate it at the carb

I would try removing the butterfly shaft and clean it up , lubricate and reinstalling. That will give to a chance to see how many wraps you have on the spring at the same time.

Weldangrind 06-12-2017 12:41 PM

I recommend going back to a thumb throttle and adding an extender. My wife and I each have one.

FLASHLIGHTBOY 06-13-2017 12:43 AM

coil

you can cut the spring down... just ( 1) spring wrap in the carb body... and try that... might be too strong.. make sure the thumb lever moves ok.. undo the throttle cable and try it by itself..

barnold 06-13-2017 10:57 AM

thanks for all the replies. I took the carb off and cleaned and lubed the butterfly it seems to move free, it had 1 wrap on the spring, cabl and twist moves good and free. I might modify the spring or might just give my kid roids(just kidding) he will get stronger as he go along. Is there a different style of carb that could be used, I see in the web there are some that has the throttle cable in the top of the carb.

FLASHLIGHTBOY 06-13-2017 01:46 PM

wraps

when you say WRAPS .. what do you mean?? plastic tie wraps... or coils on the spring... a lot of problems are when you use plastic ties to hold the cable.. this stop the action of the throttle tension... make sure the cable itself work freely... and the thumb lever does not bind.. never really heard of this problem without it being sticky due to binding.. dry .. needing lube.. the barrel in the carb sticking by itself.. check it out.. the barrel and needle should be loose in the carb.. cable free to move.. only the spring on the barrel stops and returns the barrel..

JerryHawk250 06-13-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY (Post 259165)
when you say WRAPS .. what do you mean?? plastic tie wraps... or coils on the spring... a lot of problems are when you use plastic ties to hold the cable.. this stop the action of the throttle tension... make sure the cable itself work freely... and the thumb lever does not bind.. never really heard of this problem without it being sticky due to binding.. dry .. needing lube.. the barrel in the carb sticking by itself.. check it out.. the barrel and needle should be loose in the carb.. cable free to move.. only the spring on the barrel stops and returns the barrel..

When you say barrel, are your referring to the slide? If so the slide and needle are vacuum operated in that carb. The cable only operates the butterfly valve.

david3921 06-13-2017 06:47 PM

Don't CV carbs typically have two cables?

barnold 06-13-2017 09:56 PM

by wrap i mean spring wrap. The spring was not wrapped/twisted to much. and the throttle cable opens the butterfly

JerryHawk250 06-14-2017 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnold (Post 259194)
by wrap i mean spring wrap. The spring was not wrapped/twisted to much. and the throttle cable opens the butterfly

It may be that your carb has a heaver duty spring for what ever reason. I doubt that you will be able to find just the spring. Those carbs are very inexpensive on Ebay and amazon. Unless you can find an old donor carb to rob the spring from I would just get a new carb and keep the old one for a spare. You have the same carb that I have on my coolster 150 and mine is very easy to push. If I had one laying around I would mail it to you.