View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard_Cain View Post
At first, I was like, heck yeah the DLX is way better... but then I thought on it some, and Dan had mentioned some of the things that I came up with too.

Ya know, for me, it is a better version of the Hawk 250... just not by enough. I live at 600ft elev. and am likely to never ride anywhere that my carb jetting will be off.

I can upgrade the front forks (and rear shock) myself for very little cost in new parts.

I got a better digital dash for my carb'd Hawk than the DLX comes with (my opinion) too.

Once carb's are dialed in, like my gy6 atv is, it starts as if it were EFI without all the hassle of an ECM tuner or the chance of cheap Chinese electronics going bad.

Best part for me that said get the carb'd Hawk over the DLX, I took that $500 cost difference ($1400 vs $1945 at the time) and I put that in my other hand that was holding $600 I allocated and I bought a Hellcat 125 too!

Others may choose to do differently with that money saved, like do their own upgrades using better parts, or different ones, than the DLX "upgraded" with. Or they may choose to feed their kids or pay the mortgage, I don't know. Your money your choice. lol.

But now I've got my 80 Yammie XS850, pregen Ninja 250, a decent dual sport for road and dirt exploring, and soon will have my around town screwin' off (safely) and just having stoopid fun bike that is easy enough to ride to teach others as well.

But that's just me and my train of thought on it. For lots of other people, the DLX makes sense.
Exactly. That's why I came here. I keep going back and forth between the two hawks, then I say put $1,000 with it and get a Japanese bike. But $1000 is a lot of money to me. And all I want to do in this moment is very basic trail riding and some 45-55mph back road riding. I just want to make sure I make a proper decision. If a basic hawk can haul my 6'4 275lb butt around to do those things then I'm all in. If I can mod it down the road and get it to 65mph, even better. Those are my biggest concerns.

Nearly everyone I talk to says save up and get a bigger bike. But then folks on here say I'll be ok on a hawk. Just trying to count all my chickens so to speak..