View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 07:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
My own personal recommendation. Use a smaller carb unless you plan to go full cam, ported head, high compression, exhaust. Even then, the PE30 is a touch on the too big side. With a 70mm cylinder added it really starts to come into its own, but the PE28 as a whole is just a much better match to these engines.

Want proof of that. I have a PE28 with every mod named above and my jetting is actually smaller than the above persons with a PE30. I run a 38 pilot and a 135 main jet. He doesn't make more power than I do. His engine can't pull enough vacuum on the PE30 to draw sufficient fuel, so the jets all have to be bigger in size to compensate. This also makes the carburetor more sensitive to changes in altitude density, which means it will need to be adjusted more often to compensate for changes in climate and weather.

I ran a PE30 for a while, so I am very familiar with the benefits and shortcomings. I actually got so tired of the carbs tempermental nature that I swapped back to a PZ30 carburetor until I got my PE28FL. The PE28, out of all the carburetors I have tried, is the best one of the bunch in my opinion. This is out of VM26, PZ30B, VM30, PE30, PWK30 and PWK32. I literally have a small box filled with carburetors from all of my experimenting.

Want to know a fun truth. The PZ30 and VM26 clone are actually more than sufficient enough to support upwards of 20hp, which is more than most of these engines will ever make even with most of the upgrades.
what inlet manifold do you use for the PE28? I ended up using a CRF230 for the PE30 I had for a while.
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace