Thread: Rpoc
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #139

The Russian brake shoes are beefy, with a capital B. The lining is around 12mm thick. I don't know if I'll ever need to replace them. Getting the shoes initially dialed in is what takes time. A lot of different adjustments required. Once set, it's just turning a nut just like a drum brake bike.

Front brake is a four piston Brembo and very powerful. Stops a half ton quite well and I imagine wear on the pads and rotor is dependent on rear brake adjustment. The newer bikes have disks on all three corners and are a different animal.

Bearings are a crapshoot. When it does come time to replace one, go with something like FAG, SKF, Nichi, or Timkin. Same with seals.

U-joints are dependent on lubrication. I just replaced the original Russian ones in the sidecar axle that had no zerks. I replaced them with zerked Moog joints that should outlast me. The propshaft joint is Ural specific and now comes with a grease zerk. There is no room to use a standard grease gun, though, if the zerk is in the cross, so you need to use a needle. The newest ones have a zerk on one of the cups.

The clutch would depend on how well it's adjusted and rider skill. It's a dry double disk and big.

The last thing I can think of is the 'donut' between the tranny and the propshaft. It's a big hunk o' hard rubber with a metal band around it that acts as the front u-joint. Also Ural specific and it's longevity depends on how well the final drive and propshaft are aligned.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts