Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #1

Carb help please!

Hi everyone,

I know it's a touchy subject for online advice, but I have just a few basic questions. Any help is much appreciated, and yes, I did a search already.

1. I removed my GY200's carb after the bike has been sitting for about 2 years. The float bowl was full of sand which is why it stopped running, I guess I bought gas a station with a cracked tank. When cleaning it out I bent the tabs on the float for better access. I bent them back as best as I could estimate, but when I reinstalled and started the bike fuel went dripping out the tube on the bottom of the carb. I assume this means there's too much fuel in the bowl. How do I adjust the float properly?

2. The bike starts at full throttle! When I installed the new throttle cable the 'plunger' (part that the cables pulls up) only covers about one third of the carb barrel. I'm assuming it's supposed to go down further, but I can't get it to do so. When I turned the plunger 180 degrees (thinking I installed it wrong) it wouldn't cover the barrel at all. I didn't adjust the needle or idle screw at all so I'm a bit confused.

If I can't figure out what's going on with this carb I may just get a new one. Any suggestions, i.e. what can I get locally and cheaply that is compatible?

Again thanks for any and all help, I can't wait to get the bike back on the road!

Old 08-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #2

Nothing touchy about asking carb questions on this site. Bring 'em on.

Here's a link to some work I did on an ATV that has a very similar carb to yours. Scroll down page 5 for a glimpse at how to set the float. Fun With TurboT's Beast

The slider is just not sitting properly in your carb. Try to install the slider while the carb is not mounted to the intake tube; that will allow you to look through either the intake or outlet side and confirm that the jut needle is properly engaging the needle jet. Also, the slider has a full length groove on one side that mates with a small protrusion in the body. The other side of the slider has a small ramp at the bottom that mates with the idle screw.

Make sense?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #3

Thanks for the help, I'll make the adjustments in a few days. Right now I have to entertain relatives from out o' town.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #4

She runs! I went for a spin for the first time in over two years and it was awesome. I did have to play with the float adjustment/idle a few times before getting it set properly. Of course now I need a new battery (kickstart doesn't work too good) - any suggestions for a good quality battery? Price doesn't matter too much. Strangely the tach doesn't go above ~5200 (though I most certainly went higher), maybe the battery is to blame?

One more question. I don't have too much confidence in my original carb. Since new ones are so cheap I may just get one. Anyone have anything good to say about the zoom zoom carbs (http://zoomzoompartz.highwire.com/pr...ke-cable-style) they sell for an '84 Honda 200cc 3 wheeler? Seems like they would work and only cost 25 bucks.

To be honest I was planning to sell the bike once I got it roadworthy (good friend died in a crash), but now I'm rethinking. Too much fun to be had, and if I'm off road there are not too many cars to hit me.

Thanks again for the advice weldandgrind.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:52 PM   #5

You're welcome.

The carb you're looking at is a Keihin copy. While they work fine, jet availability can be an issue, depending upon configuration. I prefer the 30mm Mikuni: 30mm MIKUNI Carburetor 150cc 200cc 250cc ATV Dirt Bike You'll need to change the jets before you use it, but that's easy and cheap.

I'd just match up the battery to one at Walmart. They're decent and cheap.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 PM   #6

What jet sizes do you suggest for that Mikuni? I didn't see jets available from that ebay seller, where can I get them?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:09 PM   #7

I buy them directly from my local Yamaha dealer, but you can also shop at www.jetsrus.com