Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2010, 03:30 AM   #1

Professional Hockey

I know we have a few members (and moderators) from Abbotsford and the surrounding area... Any hockey fans checked out any Heat games?

Myself, I don't really know much about hockey, but want to learn... Now that I have a "home team" to cheer for. Vancouver is not my city, I tend to stay out of there, so I don't consider them a home team really.

The Heat seem to be doing fairly well, 2nd in their division currently. I haven't been out to a game yet, but do plan on making it out sometime. I watched (recorded and watched at a later time) the game that they aired on CBC, looked like good entertaining hockey. I just need to brush up on the rules and strategies. Unfortunately they lost in overtime.

The price of the games seems pretty good, but the merchandise seems overpriced judging by their web-store.

I know there is a lot of negative press about them, not about their hockey, only about money... but the people in the city voted for plan a, so they have to pay. I think overtime it will turn out good for the city.

Also, I saw you can watch all the games of a certain team live at ahllive.com for $50. Not a bad price.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #2

I haven't seen a game yet, but hockey hasn't been my thing. That said, I'd like to go see a game and support the new team, so I'll be looking for ticket deals.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #3

Sounds like the same boat as me then. I know the local radio station, country 1071, does give aways for tickets. You have to enter to win on their website using radio station points. Although, the tickets start at $18 so I rather not waste my points on that, they have contests with much more expensive prices sometime. I won a motorcycle course, which my cousin was supposed to be using.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #4

Did someone say hockey??

Anything you need to know, and some things you didn't, I'm your man.

Abbotsford has long been a hockey hotbed. I've played and coached there, and their minor hockey association is one of the best in the Lower Mainland. They also did support the Junior 'B' Pilots better than any other franchise in that league. It was very popular. Not even sure if they are still there now, haven't paid much attention.

I think it's great the city built that nice rink up there by the college. Despite the money investment, that can only just provide more money into the local economy in the long run, with working staff for events, plus hotels and restauraunts when the visiting teams or entertainers come into town.

The AHL is pretty good hockey. I'd say almost 90% of the players in the NHL will have had a stop in the AHL at some point. It's a good mix of younger guys and older vet's still hanging on. It used to be a bit more 'gooney' but I think it's cleaned up some now, much like the NHL is. I also think they play 'series' like in baseball, to cut down on travel. So when the Heat are in town, they'll play three games in a row against the same team, which makes for some pretty intense second and third games in the series.

$18 is pretty cheap for a night of entertainment. I don't think you'd be dissapointed if you like the game of hockey.

You have some pretty good options there in Abbotsford as well, as the Chilliwack Bruins of the WHL would be outstanding entertainment as well.

I've been a Canucks fans since I was 9 years old, and work in Vancouver so they are my home team, and the only one I care about. ...but I like the sport enough that I'd be entertained at an AHL game too, despite the fact the parent club is the dirty rotten Flames.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
despite the fact the parent club is the dirty rotten Flames.

Yeah, that seemed to be one of the main things people were complaining about when they were talking about bringing the team here...

Abbotsford definitely is a hotbed for sports, I believe the Pilots are still here. When the Canucks make the playoffs it's always quite a party out on South Fraser Way... I imagine if the Heat make the playoffs more of the community will get behind them. The games sell out when the Moose is in town. Not sure who people are cheering for though. They do play the series like you were saying.

About all the bad press about the money the city has spent on the stadium and the hockey contracts... Isn't Abbotsford bigger then Langley (I am not sure on this)? That events center that Langley built on 200th is gigantic, I bet 4 or more times bigger then Abbotsfords new stadium, but I don't hear anything about it in the news?

As far as hockey questions go, I basically just don't know the rules, I know the general goal of putting the puck in the net, but I don't know some of the other rules, or positions players play and strategies and so on... I sort of need a for dummies book :P

Old 03-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #6

I haven't even seen the Langley building, so I really don't know. That must be where the Junior 'A' team is playing out of now. I do believe Abbotsford is bigging than Langley though.

I think the draw for the Moose would be the fact the Canucks get so much press here, that everyone wants to see the prospects in action. They'd be more familliar with the players in the Canucks organization than the Flames. More so now as they just brought in that hot young American, Shroeder, and Cody Hodgson would be a draw as well. Whether they cheer for the Moose or not, everyone wants to say they saw these guys play before they were in the 'show'.

The owner of the Pilots coached me some when I was in Midget. He was a funny guy. I was always happy for him that his team was as popular in Abbotsford. Some of the other Junior B teams really don't get a lot of people out.

As for the game, like any sport, there are varying strategies employed. It would be overwhelming for a new observor to really get everything. It's just all about the speed, contact and skill on display. You don't really get the appreciation for the skill unless you've tried to do all that though, which is why I don't think the game is appreciated as much in the southern US, where there is less exposure in the youth market.

I think the basics are 3 forwards, 2 defensemen and 1 goalie on each side, unless a penalty is called. At that point, the team with the penalty plays one man short for the length of the penalty, unless the other team scores. You can't trip, hook, slash, leave your feet on a check, elbow or hit someone in the face with your stick. Those are the basic rules. Offside is you can't enter the other teams zone before the puck, and if the puck goes back across the blue line once in, the attacking teams players must leave that 'zone' out across the blue line before going back in.

Other than that, it takes time to learn all the little intricacies of the game like systems, line matching and power play setups. It's all fun.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #7

Cool, thanks for the info

Here's the site for the Langley stadium, http://www.langleyeventscentre.com/
The thing is massive, and I believe they have way more parking setup then here in Abbotsford too. You're right, the Langley Chiefs play there, as well as some other teams. Apparently that place has 11 teams, 72 acres, 251K Sq Ft building, and more statistics here, http://www.langleyeventscentre.com/i...he_numbers.pdf . The hockey arena has less seats, but if Abbotsford hockey arena was built with a similar number of seats, they'd be closer to selling out more often (and not able to hold as many for the Moose games). Even the sign at the Langley center looks pricier then you see in Abbotsford (I don't think Abbotsford has a tv on it's sign). Here's a video about it, in there the guy says it cost $59M. I don't know what the Abbotsford arena cost, but according to wikipedia, it was supposed to cost $64.7M. I believe it went over budget.

Either way though, it's here, and I plan to enjoy it whenever possible.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #8

Was going to go check out the Heat game today (started at 4), but couldn't find anyone to go with so I skipped it, listening on the radio though.. Sounds like quite a game to miss... The visiting goalie was injured and out of the game (don't think he was hit though), lots of fights, a Heat player got tossed out of the game(I believe), and the Heat coach Jim Playfiar(sp?) apparently broke two sticks on the ice and was throwing his jacket and so on around because no one is agreeing with the ref here. And fans throwing "debris" on the ice.

So far the Heat is losing though, hopefully they can get some goals, but would have been an exciting game to watch I think.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Was going to go check out the Heat game today (started at 4), but couldn't find anyone to go with so I skipped it, listening on the radio though.. Sounds like quite a game to miss... The visiting goalie was injured and out of the game (don't think he was hit though), lots of fights, a Heat player got tossed out of the game(I believe), and the Heat coach Jim Playfiar(sp?) apparently broke two sticks on the ice and was throwing his jacket and so on around because no one is agreeing with the ref here. And fans throwing "debris" on the ice.

So far the Heat is losing though, hopefully they can get some goals, but would have been an exciting game to watch I think.
Sounds like a good time.

I used to like booting water bottles around when I 'disagreed' with the ref's point of view. 8)

Old 03-28-2010, 05:13 AM   #10

Here's the Abbotsford Heat's youtube post game highlights,

and Jim Playfair made it onto hockey night in Canada also,

Old 03-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Here's the Abbotsford Heat's youtube post game highlights,

and Jim Playfair made it onto hockey night in Canada also,
That was pretty funny. I haven't watched the CBC thing but I expect the conversation went something like:
Ref: "One more word coach and you're geeting two."
Coach: " What?"
Ref: "You just got two for unsport"
Coach : " >beep< you"

Cue the snap show.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #12

Interesting thing I noticed that the Hamilton Bulldogs goalie who got hurt was the Vancouver Canucks backup goalie for two years. He's falling out of the league it seems.

Since we spend so much on Luongo, can't spend much on backups.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #13

Yeah probably.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #14

Going to check out the game tomorrow, and the Heat also guaranteed themselves a spot in the playoffs tonight.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Abbotsford won their first play off game 3 - 2, with their first goal 35 seconds in.
Not watching the Canucks/Kings tonight? Good hockey the NHL playoffs.