Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #1

recommend a good bike for me please

Hello Everyone . I'm a newbe here looking for help to find a good china enduro . i don't have one and have only riden an 80cc dirt bike as a child . i'm nearly 50 now and want to ride again . so here the deal i'm only 5.6 and think a 32 in seat hieght is about my limit ,i could be wrong . thats were you guys come in . what should i buy . want to trail ride and street ride . i see alot of 200cc stuff ,but im thinking 250cc would be better on the street with a little more power to get out of the way of cars . open to all your thoughts Thanks

Old 08-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #2

The Zongshen Sierra seems to be getting the best reviews. Lower seat and good looks. A lot depends on exactly what kind of street riding You're planning on. Around the town or open road.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #3

thanks i'll check that one out . does anyone know what the watercooled 250cc engine is a clone of , like the pitster 250 ?

Old 08-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #4

Im only an inch taller than you and my Lifan GY5 fits fine. It is only a 200, but has plenty of power for getting around traffic. It comes out of the crate set up for the roads as far as sprocket set up is concerned. Anything but mild trails and you'll be riding the clutch a bit to get out of tight spots - but other than that I'm really happy with it.

Daddy
8)

Old 08-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #5

ok i'm loog at the lifans and/ clamed GY5s and there showing in the pictures front and rear disc spec show disc /drum whats the real deal ? more like this http://www.wildfiremotors.com/index....mart&Itemid=75

Old 08-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #6

this one shows disc /disc and inverted forks http://www.motoimport.com/Street-Bik...GY-5EPADOT.htm . sorry typed the last post high speed and misspelled alot

Old 08-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #7

Depends on when it was produced and who its from. The American Lifan GY5 I believe comes with a disc/drum setup. I believe that others may come with a rear disc.

There has been less failure reported with the drum setup.

Allen

Old 08-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #8

My only issue experienced or reported on 5 rear disc Lifan gy5 bikes of personal experience have been related to improper initial setup, just a small adjustment.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #9

I have had pretty good luck with my Roketa 200cc DP bike..They Make 2 sizes in the 200cc catagory a DB-05 and DB-07 the O5 is Much lower..The 07 is close to Regular dirtbike hieght...I am in same boat as you the 07 is at my upper limits for height..I am on my second season now..this year strictly dirt

dtrain
ManCreativityProvisation--When a man or Group of men have time to Kill and Access to Building Materila, Mechanical items(Working or Non)..and Tools..Known to send the WomanFolk Running for Their Family PPO Providers book and or First Aid Kit..

Old 08-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #10

I am 5 feet 5 inches and the height on these bikes is a problem. Look carefully at the height. I am on my tip toes when I am still. It makes it a bit difficult at critical stops and starts.

I am 57 and just got back in to bikes and having fun, but be careful!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:54 AM   #11

Re: recommend a good bike for me please

Quote:
Originally Posted by recracer
Hello Everyone . I'm a newbe here looking for help to find a good china enduro . i don't have one and have only riden an 80cc dirt bike as a child . i'm nearly 50 now and want to ride again . so here the deal i'm only 5.6 and think a 32 in seat hieght is about my limit ,i could be wrong . thats were you guys come in . what should i buy . want to trail ride and street ride . i see alot of 200cc stuff ,but im thinking 250cc would be better on the street with a little more power to get out of the way of cars . open to all your thoughts Thanks
If you are not an aggressive trail rider, the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 might be a good choice for you. In stock form, the Zong rides very well on the street; it is also suitable for light to medium trail duty. However, do your research before you buy a Zong. Buying dual sport tires for the Zong is currently very difficult (if not impossible), and this bike is heavy for its size. Also, I highly encourage you to shop for a good price. The Zong is currently selling in the $900 to $1,900 price range; get the best price you can!

The Zong has a very nice, low seat height. However, its maximum speed is about 70 mph. If you gear the bike correctly to handle hills and headwinds, the top speed is closer to 65 mph. This motorcycle is definitely not suited for travel on the Interstate highway system.

Research the Zong (and any other Chinese motorcycle} very carefully before you buy one. Also, be prepared to do all of your own maintenance for any Chinese motorcycle. The Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 has many fine qualities, but it also has a number of significant limitations, mainly weight, and its unusual tire sizes.

If you have more questions about the Zong, feel free to ask. We Zong owners will be happy to give you an honest appraisal of this motorcycle.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #12

been looking havn't found a 900.00 zong yet . i see a 1295.00 pickup in GA and a 1499.00 delivered . best prices i've seen . if anyone has links to others please post . thanks for the input from everyone . there seems to be lifan copys and the specs don't match from one site to another. i've even seen the zong listed with 17 inch wheels front and back ,witch i know from here thats not true .

Old 08-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #13

you shouldnt find a $900 zong, i havent found one 8O bt if your really serious you can call me, yes i am a real person but you have to take the step and talk to me in person if your close you could make a drive and take a look first, everything you need to know is on my under construction website on my profile and i should be fairly competively priced, but the $900 price is someone going out of business or something because thats too low but i have seen someone bought one for that i wish i could
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 08-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #14

OK recracer, If you are any where close to Phil, you have a great opportunity to get the real thing and a real person. I have no idea where you are living but Phil is a great option.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #15

recracer, I take it that you live in California? The Lifans have never been legal for California, either on or off-road--it seems funny that all of the other, very similar bikes have CARB approval for off-road, but Lifan never has.

The Zongshen might be able to get registered--see what you can come up with. Some members here on Chinariders have gotten Roketas and other such bikes streeted for Cali. Countyimports XMOTOS bike might be streetable for Cal--Member Liverchip had an XMOTOS bike (not the same as the Countyimports, but the same brand) streeted with plate.

JPMotorsports (from San Diego) have been selling the Qlink XF200 and XP200 and getting them street registered in California somehow, legitimately.

http://www.jpmotorsports.net/new_veh...ModelYear=2009