Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #11

You can find used cone shaped muffler on eBay, they are for early model CB125’s engines and they would not have catalytic element in them, but they do not seem to have the triangle shaped bracket your does. I’ve seen them on eBay under CB125 mufflers. You need that bracket to stabilize it a clamp would not look right and may not work as well. You could have the bracket cut off and welded on a old CB125 muffler that did not have the bracket but doing that would destroy the surrounding chrome. On the CB125S the bracket is a separate part (18353-383-830ZA) it an obsolete part though. The CB125S though seems to be what that bike was modeled after, the exhaust looks exactly the same. The bracket mounts to the muffler with two bolts.

I think you could then paint the chrome you just have to sand it first to a dull finish and then prime it with high temp paint. If you contact an auto body paint supplier they could confirm that and suggest and supply the paints.

I make some assumptions and that is that everyone has access to welders and that is because I live in an industrial city, I can get small welding project done and even plating and painting done relatively cheap.

I do not think cutting open the muffler is a good idea, you would most likely destroy it and then have to replace it anyway.

Keep in mind taking out the restriction in the exhaust will also require removing the SAI device and that is pretty easy, you just cap off all the connections it had, if you do not you likely will get back firing in the muffler as it has less back pressure once relieved. Then you can increase the fuel at induction and you will get better throttle response from that. You can remove the SAI and not the muffler but that would likely eventually lead to carbon buildup on the catalyst over time as the SAI is burning excess gases and once removed it stops doing that, so those gases should be let through an nonrestrictive muffler.

You could take both to a shop and say cut this off and weld it on here, that being the triangle bracket, then take it home sand it and paint it black. But that requires removing it all from the manifold you would want it all flat and the muffler looks like it is welded to the exhaust pipe on that bike,. Cannot really tell from the images but they look like they are two pieces welded at the junction?

I think you can find a CB125 muffler for under $75.00 and then the welding could be done for about $50.00 and the paint about $20-30.00 for about $125.00-$150.00 it could resolve the issue and increase your performance…without spoiling the looks of the bike.

Or you can just buy one of the FMF or fake Yoshimuro and strap it up and call it a day.[/i]