Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #1

New member from South Carolina

Hello All...

New member checking in here from South Carolina... 43 years old and just came to the realization of how much money I can save by leaving the full size SUV in the driveway and using a imported dual sport / enduro

Married with 3 kids and my wife has lost most of her vision and is legally blind, so she has not worked in years, and money is very very tight to say the least here.

My trip to work is 19 miles a day round trip and I work 4 days a week which totals 76 miles.... My Saturn Outlook does not like short trips and nets me about 16 miles to the gallon average during the week, which is roughly 5 gallons of gas totaling about $17 to $18 a week

My trip is all back roads ranging from 35 to 50 miles per hour with no highways or busy roads as I live and work in the country you can say.

I just got my motorcycle permit yesterday and have never ridden a cycle on the road, let alone a dirtbike for nearly 30 years now.

My idea is to use the dual sport just to go to and from work until I get more miles and experience under my belt, then do all I can to try and use her full time to save the most money!

roughly 5 gallons a week versus 1 gallon a week will save me roughly ~$15 a week which is $60 a month or $750 a year in savings

It never snows or ices here, and I can handle the cold and hot so I believe it to be a viable solution. Using a backpack can handle the bread and milk trips as well.

Feelings on my idea on trying to live like this?

Steve