Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #1

Why Would A Manufacturer Put A Carb On Their Bike Like The Hawk's Carb?

OK, I am just super curious about something regarding the Hawk 250's carburetor that I just cannot help but ask because it is totally mind-boggling!

Why... for the love of all that is good... would the Hawk designers (or anyone bike manufacturer for that matter) choose a carb for their bikes which do not allow the buyer to remove the float bowl to replace the stock jetting?? Unless the bike was meant to be sold in one small specific area of the world, wouldnt the manufacturer be aware that jetting varies in different areas requiring access to carb jets??

It is well known to almost everyone here on the forums that the Hawk 250 carb comes jetted dangerously LEAN from the factory. So we owners must change the jetting to prevent catastrophic engine damage. But the carbs on these bikes are meant to PREVENT us from changing the jetting unless we get creative (and brave for newbies) and grind slots in to the carb with a power tool! Yes its not very difficult for the mechanically incline, but its the principle! PLUS many newbies without power-tool/grinding expertise or mechanical abilities will buy these bikes!

Why did the Hawk 250 manufacture choose to put carbs on these bikes which prevent us from fixing a dangerously lean state of tune? This is like selling a bike with a stick of dynamite in the engine which is certainly set to go off in the near future.

Why?? Can anyone help me understand why Haosen would choose these carbs for their Hawk 250?

Thanks.