Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2018, 06:11 AM   #1

2017 RPS Hawk 250: An owners tale.

Officially 1 year since I ordered my bike, and well it deserves a review.
Warning, LOTS of reading ahead!

I am a bike nut, if you haven't figured that out by now

I have owned and restored bikes ranging from over 50 years old to a few years old. Total tear down restorations, to bolt on upgrade toys. Almost every single one of them is and was a road bike made by a major manufacturer.

Up to this point of my life, I was quite content and happy. Or so I thought...

One day a buddy of mine invites me out to try out his new toy on his land. He just picked up an SSR dirt bike. I have never ridden a dirt bike, or even been on dirt to this point, so it was quite the experience for me. I walked away with a new desire in my heart... I wanted to travel the less beaten paths.

Now, I have a requirement for any bike I own, it must be practical in my every day life, at least to some reasonable degree. This means it needs to run the roads with enough capability to get my butt to work, or pay a bill. So in my quest I stumble across dual sports. Perfect! I only had one other criteria at the time, and that was I didn't want to spend more than $2000 on the bike, and that includes any repairs or upgrades that may be necessary.

So for weeks I search, and search, and search. I find plenty of bikes of the typical fair, Honda CRFs, Suzukis, Kawis, etc. All of them beat to hell or run down in the price range I am looking. I don't want a repair and rebuild project, but the market here is ridiculous.

Then, one day I stumble across this ad on Craigslist for this bike called a Hawk from a local powersports dealer. Less than $1500 for a new bike?! Curiosity piqued!

I begin my quest for more information on the great Google machine. I find the famous Motocheez videos, and a few other vlogs from owners on Youtube. I find owners blog websites like Hawk250.com. I find this website. I read and learn the ups and downs, and decide that this is the perfect bike for me. A dirt noobie, but a certified mechanic and bike enthusiast. "Problems?," I say, "Bring them on!"

I am pumped. A bike that I can shape to my liking. A bike that is new, cheap, and cheap to fix. A bike that is nice enough to like owning, but not expensive enough that I will hate myself the second I crash it. I am ready to order!... There are none available... DAMNIT! Pre-order you say? OK!

I eagerly wait 2 months for my steed to arrive. Ordering parts for upgrades and changes based on the information I have soaked up. Chomping at the bit to unleash the raging torrent of 15ish hp... j/k

D-day arrives. I tear into that crate and begin my meticulous journey of OCD assembly and preventative maintenance that I am almost infamous for among my friends and family. I read others saying they assembled their Hawk in a few hours. "Not I!" 3 days. Every fastener scrutinized by my withering gaze. Loctite and grease flying about, slathered, smeared, stuffed, dripped, and brushed on every surface that needs it. Down to frame and engine and back. Done!

From there, the story is known well by many, and any, of those whom have read or followed my "Hawk is Here, Yay!" thread.

Now, here is the part that inspired me to write this.

When I first bought this bike, I bought it assuming that if it lasted me a year, great. My expectations were low, as were many others among my friends. I didn't enter into it with any seriousness. I saw it as the perfect bike to bash and thrash and stop caring about. That soon I would be parting it out or taking it to the scrap heap.

Instead, something weird happened, this bike kept impressing me. Not with it's huge power, or precise handling. Not with it's impeccable build quality, nor it's refinement. It impressed me with just how rugged it is. It impressed me with how it's bare simplicity gave it a charm that I have never experienced with any other bike. I found myself loving to ride it. I found myself obsessed with finding ways to make it even better. Not in a "to beat the big name bikes" kind of way, but just to improve it as it is.

Rugged? Did I just use that word? I never would have believed it either, but within the first 300 miles of its life my friend lowsided it and stuffed it under a truck. Slightly bent handlebar, broken left side cover, and bent rear brake pedal. $80 in parts, a re-alignment of the forks, and it was back on the road.
Many hundreds of miles later, I get high sided (I believe I can fly!) by a canyon of a pot hole in the road, destroying the front wheel, cracking the throttle housing and brake master cylinder, and breaking one mirror. No frame damage, no bent forks - very surprising, and just a few scratches on the headlight and front fender.

Practical? It has just enough power to do everything I need. After getting my carburetor dialed in with the modifications done, I have a bike capable of running the local highways without feeling like I am in danger, that can still average 60-65mpg.

Fun! No real explanation needed there. It just is fun. I can't describe how or why it is fun, but everybody that has taken a ride on my Hawk has come back with a grin on their face. Guys that ride 200hp Supersport bikes, cruisers, and even more serious dirt bikes. They all love it, and a couple are still considering getting one.

Almost 2000 miles later, and it's as healthy as it was when I first started it. Compression last read 164psi cold. It still starts first try. It still pulls my big butt with a pleasantly surprising grunt from such a small engine. It makes an exhaust note far meaner than it's displacement would imply.

In the last year, I went from a non-serious, low expectation buyer, to a believer that wants to keep this bike as long as he can.

Was it worth the $1300 I paid for it... Yes. Was it worth the extra money I put into it with the need to tinker, upgrade, and improve it? Yes. I still haven't spent my initial budget on it, not counting the repairs from the crashes.

Now I want to see just how far it can take me.

Day 1 to today.

Happy riding.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Last edited by Megadan; 04-11-2018 at 09:04 AM.