Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #11

So, with this exhaust I noticed additional power down low, but no real increase in top end.

So, I took the cover off the airbox, and ran it open. No filter, no airbox top. And.... gained significant top end power. The airbox, and I think in particular the air filter and cage, is a major restriction. I removed the rubber snorkel on the front of the airbox, put it all together... and it was pretty much like stock. Slightly better, but the power I had disappeared. Basically with the airbox in place, the last 3/4 of throttle really makes no difference 70mph+ (actual, not indicated). In fact, I can often get a higher top speed by keepign the throttle somewhere around 75%, instead of pinning it wide open.

With no filter at all, I can feel a big difference between 75% throttle and 100% throttle on the highway. Going up a big hill, with the stock set up I was only able to make 71mph. Same hill, same time of day, same everything, I hit 75mph (actual) with no airbox. That's 80mph indicated. Up a hill. With no traffic blocking the wind for me. And I weigh 250 lbs.

That's a big deal. That's a serious performance boost.

So I've got a 45mm K&N pod filter on the way, as well as a Chinese pod filter on a 90 degree rubber bend. Whichever one fits and/or provides the highest top speed up said hill will be the one I use.

Charles.