Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2020, 11:44 AM   #11

This is just a guess: I suspect that when they reference the Honda/Import type, they're referring to the old Honda 50/70 frame of architecture (FOE) that all of the China clones are based on. Despite the fact that our Chinese friends have bored and stroked the little horizontal motor to 150 and beyond, the FOE remains the same as a Honda 70. As an example, a China clone motor would not bolt in to a CT90 without adapters.

The Grom 125 motor has a different FOE, although it's quite similar to the clones from what I can see. That might be the reason that the Grom cam does not carry the same parts number as the 150 clone. To further complicate things, a clone that is above 150 might have yet again a different FOE to accommodate the larger proportions. In the vertical clone world, the FOE changes after 200cc; you can't bolt a 230 cylinder onto a 200 bottom end. Perhaps when they engineered the heads for your motor, they used the KLX FOE. Dunno.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer