Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2020, 03:22 AM   #33

Top Speed: 110 km/h (68 mph, GPS-verified).

Bike: 2007 ZongShen LZX200GY-2 (Sierra), 21000 km at the time (1y ago), 25000 km now.
Front/Rear Sprocket: 14/42 => Previous owner obviously modded it for cruising.
Mods: None yet => Just some much-needed overall maintenance.
Carb Tuning: None
Rider Weight: 85 kg (190 lbs, give or take, with gear)

N.B., that top speed was achieved on a perfectly flat straight with no wind. It could probably be pushed a little more. However, at the time I still had the previous owner's Shinko cruiser tires. Heavy, 6-yo, hard as rock and in need of a rebalancing. The front started shaking a bit too much for comfort, so I throttled back a bit. The speedo reading was 130+ km/h at the time.

At the moment I have Pirelli City Demons mounted, with the front being a 3.00-18 (closest available size to the stock 100/90-18). This throws off the speedo readings even more (+10%) due to different diameter, but the bike is much stabler. Cruising at 90 km/h (55 mph) all day comfortably, even in moderate grades with some speed/momentum management. Oh, and of course some good ol' leaning on the bike, Rossi style

The few times I attempted a "top speed" run since I managed 105 km/h (65 mph) and I felt it could go a bit more, but I really don't like pushing much beyond 100 km/h if I don't have to. At those speeds everything counts (even the fuel and oil used), and the motor is approaching its rev limit even with such a tall gearing.

But it's obvious none of these bikes is built for top speed

Last edited by ChillRider; 10-22-2020 at 04:50 AM.

Tags
mods, top speed